Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Neuad

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I'm pretty deep into BLM, and knowing what I want my exact SpS to be. Obviously theres plenty to clean up outside of clipping, but I think I'll try one and see if it helps that aspect. I've heard it helps a ton with slidecasting as well.

Seems like mudfish is the way to go, if I can just toss a couple bucks on it and use it for a couple months.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is there even that much stuff to double weave on BLM? Isn't it just like Sharpcast lining up with Triplecast and Triplecast having to be used regardless of GCD(so it clips most of the time unless you happen to have thundercloud up) and then Leylines sometimes but you can probably slide it during triplecast at a different place? I don't know I've barely played BLM but it didn't seem like a class that'd have weaving issues because of the lack of on demand instant cast to begin with so you'd be forced to just raw cast oGCDs regardless. But I haven't played one since launch though and they got a fair amount of changes so I guess I'm wrong.

Neuad

Trakanon Raider
There's only 1 doubleweave in the opener so it wont save me a ton of time, but I'm also hoping it'll help with weaving off fire 3 and blizzard 3 as well as slidecasting. Slidecasting with a longer than GCD spell is tricky D:

Like I said, I'm not expecting this to be a miracle fix or anything, just something worth trying. Especially if it only costs a couple bucks.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
Have any of you guys used any sort of VPN, like WTFast or Mudfish? I'm trying to break the 90%+ mark on FFLogs for o9s, and while looking over some of my parses on xivanalysis I noticed I consistently clip, especially on double weaves. I know a VPN isn't magically going to make me meet my goal, but every little bit helps.

Yeah, I play on NA (west coast) from England -- I use WTFast and it makes a big, noticeable difference. Like doubleweaves go from clipping 0.5s+ to almost not clipping at all, game feels more responsive, I get disconnected less, etc. I also tried Pingzapper and it had the same upsides, BUT it randomly disconnected me every hour or so and that was awful to deal with. I haven't tried mudfish, so if it's that cheap I would give that a go first and see how it feels.

This is my char: FF Logs - Combat Analysis for FF

Fwiw, I think it WON'T help you with slidecasting -- when I play ast/pld/sam I get really sick slidecasts NA people can't do, and using WTFast made slidecasting slightly less good for me (cancels sometimes if I move with like 0.5s remaining). I think slidecast is an accidental compensation for having high ping, so ymmv.

-

Pyros Pyros re double weaving on BLM -- it doesn't doubleweave much, but it does have like gcd with full castbar oGCD gcd sometimes, so you get pingtaxed some there.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The amount of feature breadcrumb quests just to unlock a log or some dungeon hard mode that they dump on you at level 50 is too damn high. I feel like I'm playing an ubisoft game with all the feature quest markers that keep popping up. Can I safely skip all this stuff for now or should I just get all the unlocking out of the way?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The amount of feature breadcrumb quests just to unlock a log or some dungeon hard mode that they dump on you at level 50 is too damn high. I feel like I'm playing an ubisoft game with all the feature quest markers that keep popping up. Can I safely skip all this stuff for now or should I just get all the unlocking out of the way?
It's worth unlocking at least 2 dungeons(any of them will do) for the 50/60 queue to get poetics. Maybe also the first 2 crystal tower 24man dungeons, for the alliance roulette for more poetics. Other than that, you can skip all the dungeons until you feel like doing them to see them. You should unlock other features generally speaking though, logs and such. Using this Progression and Level Locked Content – Gamer Escape stuff that you should definitely unlock:

Glamours at 15, technically not needed but fuck looking like a clown, especially glamour plates combined with hall of novice gear to look like a proper character.
Retainers, unlocked automatically from MSQ but hire some, they're like your bank
Retainer ventures, unlock these whenever, you won't be able to get too many ventures early on but once you have some you want to spam ventures to level your retainers so you can make money with them
Palace of the Dead, if you're planning on leveling alts you'll want that unlocked but you can just do that once you start lvling the alt
Chocobo mount and combat companion, mount is obvious but unlocking the combat one and always carrying greens to summon it. Especially make sure to do the 2 weeklies in the challenge log for it(kill 100monsters with chocobo out) to feed it xp, it's very useful for soloing FATEs and shit, get 4 heal and max attack first.
Unlock adventurer squadrons when you reach high enough rank with your GC. Won't be at level but they're good to unlock early so you can send them on missions and recruit more as you do your weekly challenge log

That's really it for ARR stuff to unlock that's important. You will want to do stuff like materia melding eventually, desynthing, gold saucer and so on but most of that stuff is optional/not important.

Mostly while leveling, you want to make sure to get your GC ranks up(this can be a pain the first few ranks until you unlock deliveries, I recommend leveling a tank to 16 to do leveling roulette with tank bonus a few times). Once you have deliveries just drop all your dungeon gear into it and you'll get up the ranks in no time at all, make sure to complete the GC log(one time only per character, unlike class log) and the quests there, although technically, it's fine to wait as long as you're not wasting GC seals.

You'll also have to unlock the main 3 primals hard mode, which involves clearing them, as part of the 2.5MSQ. So you can do that when you feel like it, it's pretty annoying, have to go to Walking Sands(the one in Vesper Bay), talk to one of Scion, then run all the way to the primal aetheryte(like in Nathalan for Garuda, Umgaro for Titan and Zaharak for Ifrit) to unlock it, then you have to fight it to get the next quest in Walking Sands and so on. Other dungeons needed for the MSQ are unlocked as part of the MSQ, the other notable exception is in 2.1 or so, you need to do The Sunken Temple of Qarn, the 35 dungeon, quests is in Vesper Bay and have to run to the dungeon entrance east of Little Ala Mhigo(have to go there even if you already unlocked the dungeon to progress the quest).

Also worth noting UI wise, personally I just grabbed all the breadcrumb quests, then opened the log and hid them(click on the tick box twice, first time is to force display, 2nd to hide). Then whenever there was a quest turn in in a zone I was doing a MSQ in, I'd just go there. Makes it a bit less annoying like this.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Neuad

Trakanon Raider
So I threw 5 bucks on Mudfish and did 40ish pulls of o11s prog tonight. I notice a difference in my double weaves, and in my potion use especially. I don't slidecast a ton because I don't know AoE timings super well, and since we're still progging I play safe, but that seems to be more responsive as well. Will have to do some 9/10s to really test it, since I know those fights much better.

From the best I can tell, my ping sat at 120ish without Mudfish, and with it fluctuates between 60-80, mostly hovering right around 70.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Probably going to give this another go the next time it goes on sale. Couple questions:

I have the base game on an account somewhere but I remember recovering accounts/password resets being a severe pain in the ass with them. Is there any benefits to recovering that older account or should I just spend the extra $10 or w/e to get the full package?

Is there a referral system that could benefit someone here?

Server? (NA) What's the cross-server grouping/guilding situation with the game?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Probably going to give this another go the next time it goes on sale. Couple questions:

I have the base game on an account somewhere but I remember recovering accounts/password resets being a severe pain in the ass with them. Is there any benefits to recovering that older account or should I just spend the extra $10 or w/e to get the full package?

Is there a referral system that could benefit someone here?

Server? (NA) What's the cross-server grouping/guilding situation with the game?
Well getting your old account matters if you want to get your old account, that kinda depends on what's on it, how much you played etc. Doesn't really matter much though. Getting your info back is easy if you don't have an authenticator linked to it and you have access to your email you registered with, you just do the forgotten password, click the mail and you're done. If you don't have the email or you had an authenticator that you don't have anymore(like say on an old phone and you lost the recovery pass), it's more annoying but if you call them it goes pretty fast supposedly, never done it though.

Ultimately up to you, you'd be saving 8-10bucks or so for the base game, which is not that much, especially since you wouldn't have the free month, so basically you'd spend more reactivating an old account than buying a new one. So if you're not attached to your account for any specific reason, might as well just start a new one. Could even do the trial for a few days for free.

There is a referral system. That's my referral code CPENPFY8 but if anyone else needs it I don't really care since I referred someone before so I got the mount out of it already(well one of them, don't care for the other) but if no one shows up you might as well. You get some shit once you sub too for using the code, however that won't be for a while since it only starts counting once your free days run out(unless you use a timecard), and you get the usual 30days free with a new copy and then 15days free when you reach lvl 30 on a preferred server(medium/low pop servers). You also get double xp for 90days or until the server isn't preferred whichever comes last on these servers so it's fairly advantageous if you want to level other classes/crafting/gathering. Can't transfer out for 90days though.

As for cross server stuff, a lot of stuff is cross server now. You can obviously do DF(matchmaking grouping) cross server, but you can also do PFs(groups you setup via a menu with description for specific content and such mostly for harder content) and join linkshells(ingame chatrooms). Only major thing you can't do is join a FC which is the equivalent of guilds, although you might be able to in the future. In a few months they'll be adding a way to move to other servers without paying, with some restrictions(mostly you can't access your retainers so you can't sell stuff or bank there, and it's restricted to your datacenter instead of letting you transfer anywhere) so maybe you'll be able to join a FC on another server, not too sure if there was a mention of it in the panel.

So basically it kinda depends on what you want to do for server choice, if you want to play with people you know, say from here, you might want to start on their server to be in their FC, but that server might not be preferred which means you'll miss out on the double xp buff. But you could also just pick a server in the same datacenter and use the PF to enter dungeons and stuff together then use Discord or a linkshell to talk. This would let you get the preferred server bonus and still play with people.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Well getting your old account matters if you want to get your old account, that kinda depends on what's on it, how much you played etc. Doesn't really matter much though. Getting your info back is easy if you don't have an authenticator linked to it and you have access to your email you registered with, you just do the forgotten password, click the mail and you're done. If you don't have the email or you had an authenticator that you don't have anymore(like say on an old phone and you lost the recovery pass), it's more annoying but if you call them it goes pretty fast supposedly, never done it though.

Ultimately up to you, you'd be saving 8-10bucks or so for the base game, which is not that much, especially since you wouldn't have the free month, so basically you'd spend more reactivating an old account than buying a new one. So if you're not attached to your account for any specific reason, might as well just start a new one. Could even do the trial for a few days for free.

There is a referral system. That's my referral code CPENPFY8 but if anyone else needs it I don't really care since I referred someone before so I got the mount out of it already(well one of them, don't care for the other) but if no one shows up you might as well. You get some shit once you sub too for using the code, however that won't be for a while since it only starts counting once your free days run out(unless you use a timecard), and you get the usual 30days free with a new copy and then 15days free when you reach lvl 30 on a preferred server(medium/low pop servers). You also get double xp for 90days or until the server isn't preferred whichever comes last on these servers so it's fairly advantageous if you want to level other classes/crafting/gathering. Can't transfer out for 90days though.

As for cross server stuff, a lot of stuff is cross server now. You can obviously do DF(matchmaking grouping) cross server, but you can also do PFs(groups you setup via a menu with description for specific content and such mostly for harder content) and join linkshells(ingame chatrooms). Only major thing you can't do is join a FC which is the equivalent of guilds, although you might be able to in the future. In a few months they'll be adding a way to move to other servers without paying, with some restrictions(mostly you can't access your retainers so you can't sell stuff or bank there, and it's restricted to your datacenter instead of letting you transfer anywhere) so maybe you'll be able to join a FC on another server, not too sure if there was a mention of it in the panel.

So basically it kinda depends on what you want to do for server choice, if you want to play with people you know, say from here, you might want to start on their server to be in their FC, but that server might not be preferred which means you'll miss out on the double xp buff. But you could also just pick a server in the same datacenter and use the PF to enter dungeons and stuff together then use Discord or a linkshell to talk. This would let you get the preferred server bonus and still play with people.

I'm not attached to the old account. Just that some games give you bonuses for having old characters etc... which would be a shame to throw away.

I'll use your code unless someone specifically chimes up about really needing the bonuses or something.

As for the server stuff, is there a specific one most people here play on, and are server pops as big an issue as they are in WoW? The bonuses for a preferred one would be nice, but I'm sure it wouldn't be worth playing on a dead server.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm not attached to the old account. Just that some games give you bonuses for having old characters etc... which would be a shame to throw away.

I'll use your code unless someone specifically chimes up about really needing the bonuses or something.

As for the server stuff, is there a specific one most people here play on, and are server pops as big an issue as they are in WoW? The bonuses for a preferred one would be nice, but I'm sure it wouldn't be worth playing on a dead server.
I don't know about the forum's guild, there's a few people playing but it seems fairly fragmented, I'd give it a day or two for people to check the thread and answer that. For the population balance, it's pretty well balanced nowadays, there's not too many servers and they did another promotion back at SB launch with the new preferred server bonus where you could transfer for free from a congested server to any other server(you had a bonus on preferred servers too). The game also lends itself well to the "sub a month here and there and play something else the rest of the time", with the episodic nature of the MSQ and the constant gear resets.

There's still a couple of really populated servers especially Balmung(which is the unofficial RP server) but overall you wouldn't really be on a completely dead server, although the game is pretty instanced and shit and most people leveling new chars do it in dungeons/potd(instanced content) so you won't see a whole lot of people outside of the cities.

They also said they're reorganizing the datacenters in a few months and once they do there will be free transfers(although if you're not subbed at the time, you'd probably have to sub just to transfer).

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh also if you're buying new, some info about the what to buy etc:

The starter edition is the base game, comes with a month free, capped at 50, can't make Au'Ras(dragon scales race) but otherwise not much difference until 50+ so you can just grab that to get started, there's A LOT of stuff to go through before you reach the expansions(I counted 35hours to do the 2.0MSQ and 20hours to do the 2.1 to 2.5MSQ on my alt account, watching cutscenes and reading the text and mostly only doing the MSQ) and the only real expansion content you can play before finishing the base game MSQ is Samurai/Red Mage at 50(the Heavensward classes are locked to story progression for example). The complete edition as the name implies has the base game + expansions. If you buy the starter edition, then the only expansion you need after is Stormblood, it also contains Heavensward so no need to buy that(if you can find it, it's not easy anymore). You could in theory wait 6months and buy Shadowbringers and get both HW and SB for "free" with it too.

Also heavily recommend buying not on Steam. Steam is great and all but not for this, the Steam version goes on sale less and if you get caught into the new expansion hype next summer, you'll have to pay full price for it because Steam won't discount it, while you could save money on 3rd parties. The Steam version is its own thing and is exclusive, all the other vendors, SE included, sell a "Windows" version instead. Only real advantage of Steam is being able to use the Steam Wallet to pay for shit.

Also make sure you buy keys for your account region. Doesn't have to be your actual region or where you play(there's no region lock on server slection), but the keys have to match your account region, which you select when you make the account. Mostly relevant if you do a Trial first, if you just make an account when you pick up the game you could just make another with the right region if you mess up.

• 1Like

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Low pop servers give a fat exp bonus until level 60 (i.e., everything before the most recent expansion).

However it's mostly useless for your "main" job, since everything is locked behind doing the 800+ story progression quests. It's cool to be level 28 while collecting level 13 bear asses, but the game syncs you down to level 18 for the dungeon anyway. It is a very nice nice bonus for any alt jobs or crafting/gatherer shit you want to get into.

Low pop servers will have housing available, if you're into that. Finding housing on Gilgamesh was stupid. I wasted a lot of gil getting a bad plot just so I could relocate to a decent plot and then I again relocated to a nice (small) plot. That said, I've lapsed my sub, lost my house, and gil is meaningless so it's not a big loss.

My #1 recommendation is to join a server on the Aether datacenter. Primal sucks. The road to 60 buff is overrated; the housing thing is a bigger deal that gets less press.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You can find houses on populated servers nowadays though, other than Balmung obviously, as long as you're not picky about where you buy the house. With the demolition shit there's a lot of spots being vacated constantly, mostly small houses though. That said you can also just buy an appartment regardless, it doesn't have a lot of slots to decorate and no garden but it can be ok-ish depending on the use you want from it and 5.0 might have some changes for that, the whole Ishgard reconstruction, might be traditional housings but I wouldn't be too surprised if it's different. You can also not bother at all. I had a house for a few months before they added the demolition thing and never felt like buying another since, I just don't play enough and I can't be assed buying all the crap to decorate.

The leveling thing is definitely great if you plan on leveling any other class. I agree for your main it won't do shit since you'll be overleveled the entire time with barely any advantage(don't even get 50+ skills until HW since they're all tied to job quests) but the game kinda facilitates playing multiple classes, and for stupid shit like gathering it's crazy good especially since the Road to 60 is a 2x multiplier of every other type of xp. So you get 2x the armory bonus, 2x rested, 2x FC/ticket buffs, 2x leveling items and it works on quest xp(including roulette xp) not just combat xp like the other types.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Another question: I quit the game the first time around when I ran into a storyline progression roadblock when I couldn't get past the Garuda fight with several PUG's as it was literally impossible to heal the groups I was getting (they were repeatedly failing the mechanics). Is stuff like this still an issue?

And thanks for the info

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Another question: I quit the game the first time around when I ran into a storyline progression roadblock when I couldn't get past the Garuda fight with several PUG's as it was literally impossible to heal the groups I was getting (they were repeatedly failing the mechanics). Is stuff like this still an issue?

And thanks for the info
Hmm technically it's possible to fail the story stuff sure, but multiple times? Really unlikely tbh. I've done all the ARR old content when I was playing and even the "hard" stuff is pretty easy nowadays since most of the players are higher levels getting roulettes and stuff. Also for all the lower than 60 content, you can just make a PF that ask for a carry unsynced if desperate. Unsynced means without the usual level sync, so they can easily stomp old content. There might be some mechanics that require people but most of it you can just smash it super easy.

The story content is designed to be pretty easy and while there's a few harder ones(Tsukuyomi for example is surprisingly challenging in the story mode), generally you just need to do the one thing properly and one of the high levels will just tell people if you do happen to wipe.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Hmm technically it's possible to fail the story stuff sure, but multiple times? Really unlikely tbh. I've done all the ARR old content when I was playing and even the "hard" stuff is pretty easy nowadays since most of the players are higher levels getting roulettes and stuff. Also for all the lower than 60 content, you can just make a PF that ask for a carry unsynced if desperate. Unsynced means without the usual level sync, so they can easily stomp old content. There might be some mechanics that require people but most of it you can just smash it super easy.

The story content is designed to be pretty easy and while there's a few harder ones(Tsukuyomi for example is surprisingly challenging in the story mode), generally you just need to do the one thing properly and one of the high levels will just tell people if you do happen to wipe.

It was a pretty bizarre experience. I was playing a WHM and despite a shitload of experience healing in MMO's, there was nothing I could do to carry the groups through it. I was having to teach each group the mechanics (including the tanks) and after the 5th failed group or so I just gave up and didn't bother logging back in.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider

And thanks for the info

It's not as much of a problem vs then, most people who are going thru MSQ are Alt's(occsionally you'll get newb's but a good percentage of them actually know how shit works hah)

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It was a pretty bizarre experience. I was playing a WHM and despite a shitload of experience healing in MMO's, there was nothing I could do to carry the groups through it. I was having to teach each group the mechanics (including the tanks) and after the 5th failed group or so I just gave up and didn't bother logging back in.
Was it maybe Extreme, like at lvl 50? Because the normal and hard mode Garuda are really not super complicated. Mind you at release people were a lot shittier at the game in general, lots of FFXI players, people who had never played mmos and such and no one was used to the XIV raid style just yet plus the latency issues before they tightened their netcodes. But still Garuda was generally considered the easiest of all the primals, with Titan being the hardest(because you can fall and back then they didn't bother moving your corpse back like in modern fights).

Anyway I don't think it'd be an issue. I mean you could get in a party with a bunch of absolute retards and new players and wipe a couple of times but you can bet someone's gonna ragequit or do an abandon vote, then you requeue and the odds of getting another bad group would be low enough, you'd get other people in roulette queues and stuff and you only need a few that know what they're doing to clear story stuff.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Was it maybe Extreme, like at lvl 50? Because the normal and hard mode Garuda are really not super complicated. Mind you at release people were a lot shittier at the game in general, lots of FFXI players, people who had never played mmos and such and no one was used to the XIV raid style just yet plus the latency issues before they tightened their netcodes. But still Garuda was generally considered the easiest of all the primals, with Titan being the hardest(because you can fall and back then they didn't bother moving your corpse back like in modern fights).

Anyway I don't think it'd be an issue. I mean you could get in a party with a bunch of absolute retards and new players and wipe a couple of times but you can bet someone's gonna ragequit or do an abandon vote, then you requeue and the odds of getting another bad group would be low enough, you'd get other people in roulette queues and stuff and you only need a few that know what they're doing to clear story stuff.

It was around level 50, and wasn't any special difficulty that I know of, just the one the storyline required. The common issue was that I could only keep them alive for so long before going OOM because they weren't avoiding the mechanics, and despite my gear being fine for the level and using pots, it just wasn't enough. Two of the groups had one dps that didn't try to avoid the easy-to-avoid shit at all and so I would have to let them die, which just made the shitty dps situation even worse.

Anyways, thanks again for the info.