Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah no I'm not gonna waste deliveries on gathering when I can do crafting ones and sell gyr abanian alchemics/kingscraft demimateria with the yellow scrips and make like 500k for 2mins of crafting, while stockpiling crafting xp tickets and souls of the crafters and what not for the next expansion. And I didn't mean the skill rotation I have no issue with that, I meant the whole running around the nodes waiting for them to pop and shit. It's just so fucking boring.

Didn't know could make that much. I finally finished my crafting set minus tools and have been pounding out yellow script turn ins to overmeld VI's to all that stuff. Maybe I should be selling the alchemics and kingscraft stuff.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Didn't know could make that much. I finally finished my crafting set minus tools and have been pounding out yellow script turn ins to overmeld VI's to all that stuff. Maybe I should be selling the alchemics and kingscraft stuff.
I mean it depends on your server obviously, as I said my server has a shit market so everything's expensive. Alchemics are 80-90k, Kingscraft went up to 28k last week, so yeah. Just have to convert the value in yellow scrips of each item based on your server to see what's better to buy though, even if you need the materias you can sell other stuff then buy them if the ratio is worse. That said the gear I made didn't need too many VI materias, and I got a bunch from doing the Namazu quests since I needed a ton of stormsaps too.

Merrith

I mean it depends on your server obviously, as I said my server has a shit market so everything's expensive. Alchemics are 80-90k, Kingscraft went up to 28k last week, so yeah. Just have to convert the value in yellow scrips of each item based on your server to see what's better to buy though, even if you need the materias you can sell other stuff then buy them if the ratio is worse. That said the gear I made didn't need too many VI materias, and I got a bunch from doing the Namazu quests since I needed a ton of stormsaps too.

Yeah not sure if I need too many more stormsaps, I still have about 30 with ~25 Hawk Eye's Sand made already. Basically all I have left to make is gathering jewelry and tools for crafting/gathering. Not sure I'll have the motivation to finish all of them, certainly not Overmelding VI's on all the tools cause fuck that.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I have barely any melds on my gathering shit. I have like Gathering V, GP III and Gathering II or Perception V instead of gathering, on accessories, and the tools are just Perception/Gathing V and GP IV or something like that. And left side is yellow scrip gear. Basically I used Aryala to calculate minimum perception needed with food to get HQ on 3star(which I never do because fuck eating 20k food to get HQ on shit), 730base GP so I can get 750 after hitting the nodes 4times(optimal melds use less than that with GP food but again, fuck using food for gathering) and then just some gathering so in theory I can hit a treshold for Bountiful II with food but again no food so don't care about that. It's not optimal at all but it cost me like 100k total in melds I think and it's enough for what I do with it, melding gathering shit is a huge waste of money unless you do it right at the new patch to sell overpriced mats and even then it's only good on patches that have crafting gear I think so all crafters need a ton of the mats to recraft their gear. And it'll be enough for ShB leveling too, I'll replace scrip gear left side with quest rewards/vendor gear, and the accessories will last me all the way to 80.

I just don't like Gathering for money in general I find it's terribly inefficient. I could just be sitting in town the whole time chain crafting ingots with a macro and make as much/more money, without any input(with autohotkey/keyboard macros for looping it).

Merrith

Yeah I don't actually buy any materia for melds, I grind scripts for that meteria. Frankly a few of the left side gathering pieces "fully melded" isn't even all 5 materia. Not sure why the gathering sets always have a few pieces like that but they do. If I'm bored watching a stream or something I'll just port around waiting on timers for gathering for scripts, otherwise I use retainers to gather mats through ventures for red/yellow crafting turn ins.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Realistically what do I need to do in order to find a static for O9S-12 this late in the game? Is ilvl going to be the huge issue there?

@a_skeleton_02 when does your crew run and do you have a slot for a PLD/BRD/BLM?

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Realistically what do I need to do in order to find a static for O9S-12 this late in the game? Is ilvl going to be the huge issue there?

@a_skeleton_02 when does your crew run and do you have a slot for a PLD/BRD/BLM?

We could use a BRD or a BLM, and yes Ilvl is huge so is knowing the fight.

No static will take someone who has not already killed the content so make sure you do the practice groups.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
We could use a BRD or a BLM, and yes Ilvl is huge so is knowing the fight.

No static will take someone who has not already killed the content so make sure you do the practice groups.
Okay I will be finished on BRD/BLM this week and then get some practice runs in with both of them and some gear. I figured everyone had their proper tanks.

I need to set up ACT and whatever for DPS meters to see how I am doing.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Getting your ilvl up is going to be the most important to get in a static at this point since most people have been playing for a while so they have large amounts of i390 and 400(from running savage) stuff. Learning parties this late might be kinda shit too not too sure. The new EX primal weapon should help a fair bit, since it should give a 395weapon which is much closer to what raiders want right now. The limitations on gearing are going to be reduced over time as this patch goes but that comes later. Alphascape savage itself will be nerfed over the next few minor patches too after 3.55(mostly they'll add echo to it, and eventually remove the weekly limit on drops so you can farm the earlier floors for gear to do the later ones). In this patch specifically, there's the new 24man which will give one piece of 390 armor a week and one token which combined with both the other Ivalice 24man will let you get an upgrade material for Genesis gear from 390 to 400(aim for armor first, bigger gains there, especially legs/chest).

And tanks can be ok too in terms of finding a spot, a lot of static this late would have someone who wants to change role so for example a tank switching to a DPS they've been gearing on the side now that their tank is fully geared. Also having a tank that's a bit undergeared should probably be the least impactful loss overall for an existing static. Lose some DPS but not as much as a real DPS, and the lack of vitality can be compensated and generally doesn't matter all that much(you either die because no cooldowns/fuck up, or you live with plenty of hp to spare, although O10S tankbusters are supposedly a problem due to their frequency so don't know about that).

That said everyone wants bards, and a good BLM is stupidly strong.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So I've been doing retainer ventures for wind crystals because I was kinda low and they were the most expensive. After a couple weeks of it I hit 9999 and wasted a few and remembered "oh yeah these are capped, I should just drop some on my retainer". Open my retainer, I had 7000 there too that I completely forgot about. Should have been farming lightning or water instead. Not sure why they're capped at 9999 to begin with, they don't really take a slot they're just a single number, should let them go to 999999 or whatever I doubt the few bytes of memory per char is that helpful. Hell could just remove the retainer slots to save memory and increase the character holding amount.

Also very surprised at how fast these 380 accessories are selling. I've lazily made some to check the market and they sold within the day, so I've been making more and they sell pretty quick. I only make earrings/rings because I don't want to spe CRP and if I don't spe I have to use better food(I'm cheap so I'm using storebought tempura) but just having 1ring 1 earring of fending/casting/healing(these seem to sell much better than the rest), it already take an hour to recraft everyday so I'm good. Still that's like 350-550k profit on each sale and didn't think there would be that many selling since the market boards were kinda inconsistent. Probably will keep pumping them through the early next patch until I reach 150m or so and then just stop cause I don't think I need more money than that. Probably don't even need 150m anyway since I don't care about most of the super expensive shit like hairstyles and mounts.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Is there a decent guide that can help me sort through the loads of new shit that the game throws at you @50? Specifically which of the new-stuff quests that should be done and any that can be ignored.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is there a decent guide that can help me sort through the loads of new shit that the game throws at you @50? Specifically which of the new-stuff quests that should be done and any that can be ignored.
I mean pretty much everything can be ignored if you don't care about content.

Things worth unlocking: Legacy of Alag in Mor Dhona to unlock Crystal Tower 24man, unlock the first 2 dungeons to get the alliance daily roulette for xp/poetics.
Any 2 dungeons for 50/60 dungeon queue for poetics/bad xp. You unlock these naturally from doing the MSQ but you can unlock it earlier otherwise, don't have to do it unless you want better gear faster
Ifrit/Garuda/Titan hard mode in Walking Sands(the Vesper Bay place), you'll have to do these for 2.5 eventually so might as well get them done.

Poetics are a currency that is obtained from doing any old cap content(50 and 60) and buy the old tomestone gear from these cap(Ironworks for 50). You buy them in Mor Dhona, find the 2 women selling poetics stuff outside in a little shop thing, you'll want to buy a few pieces/a full set to start HW on the right foot, so you do a few roulettes and you'll get some naturally doing 50 content. To buy the weapon, buy 10rowena tokens and 1 encrypted tomestone(iirc) in the others category and trade to the woman on the left.

Everything else is basically optional and you can keep doing the MSQ until you HW and go back later if you don't care about doing it now. Also do your 50 job quest in case you haven't, gives some gear.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I mean pretty much everything can be ignored if you don't care about content.

Things worth unlocking: Legacy of Alag in Mor Dhona to unlock Crystal Tower 24man, unlock the first 2 dungeons to get the alliance daily roulette for xp/poetics.
Any 2 dungeons for 50/60 dungeon queue for poetics/bad xp. You unlock these naturally from doing the MSQ but you can unlock it earlier otherwise, don't have to do it unless you want better gear faster
Ifrit/Garuda/Titan hard mode in Walking Sands(the Vesper Bay place), you'll have to do these for 2.5 eventually so might as well get them done.

Poetics are a currency that is obtained from doing any old cap content(50 and 60) and buy the old tomestone gear from these cap(Ironworks for 50). You buy them in Mor Dhona, find the 2 women selling poetics stuff outside in a little shop thing, you'll want to buy a few pieces/a full set to start HW on the right foot, so you do a few roulettes and you'll get some naturally doing 50 content. To buy the weapon, buy 10rowena tokens and 1 encrypted tomestone(iirc) in the others category and trade to the woman on the left.

Everything else is basically optional and you can keep doing the MSQ until you HW and go back later if you don't care about doing it now. Also do your 50 job quest in case you haven't, gives some gear.

Thanks. I hit the moving HQ to Mor Dhona part and saw the dozen or so + quests staring at me and knew I'd need to filter some of them out.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thanks. I hit the moving HQ to Mor Dhona part and saw the dozen or so + quests staring at me and knew I'd need to filter some of them out.
Yeah Mor Dhona used to be the endgame hub at 50 so most quests started there. A lot are just breadcrumb quests to unlock a 50dungeon, since they were adding like 3 every patch and shit. You could grab them all and go to where they say most of them will just complete right there and unlock a dungeon, that's literally what most of these are, go there, talk to someone, Dungeon unlocked, a few will require you do the dungeon to clear them fully though. But it's all skippable, although eventually it's nice going back and seeing all the content there is to see even if only once, plus first time bonus gives a lot more poetics so good for gearing up alts too.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Yeah Mor Dhona used to be the endgame hub at 50 so most quests started there. A lot are just breadcrumb quests to unlock a 50dungeon, since they were adding like 3 every patch and shit. You could grab them all and go to where they say most of them will just complete right there and unlock a dungeon, that's literally what most of these are, go there, talk to someone, Dungeon unlocked, a few will require you do the dungeon to clear them fully though. But it's all skippable, although eventually it's nice going back and seeing all the content there is to see even if only once, plus first time bonus gives a lot more poetics so good for gearing up alts too.
The breadcrumb quest are the ones with a blue exclamation mark? If they are I have a journal full of them I need to complete.

Also how do you get flying in the RR areas? I know in HW+ zones you have to get the aethers. I can fly in a few of them but wondering about RR zone.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The breadcrumb quest are the ones with a blue exclamation mark? If they are I have a journal full of them I need to complete.
Yeah everything with a blue mark and a + unlocks something. Mostly dungeons, sometimes new content stuff(Gold Saucer or Ventures for example), in a few cases it's kinda garbage(there's 1 in each main cities that unlock a dance). But they're the important sidequests, as opposed to the standard exclamation mark ones which are basically purely filler sidequests. There's 17 lvl 50 dungeons, a few are unlocked in other places and some are unlocked through the stories, but yeah that's why there's a lot of shit in Mor Dhona.

• 1Like

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Also how do you get flying in the RR areas?

You can't.

Something something about unfinished geometry that doesn't look good from all angles because it was only designed to be seen from the ground.

• 1Like