Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cybsled

Malboro is one of the old ones. It alternates between preferred status and standard every few months it seems, so def on the lower end of the population scale.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i came back to play again which surprisingly i am having...a little fun with.
Same mechanics tho...this is my third return to this game after 6 month hiatus.

If there are any tank out there, what is the most effective hotkey management? I am having to manually click almost 30% of the skills manually..

Nola

Trakanon Raider
i came back to play again which surprisingly i am having...a little fun with.
Same mechanics tho...this is my third return to this game after 6 month hiatus.

If there are any tank out there, what is the most effective hotkey management? I am having to manually click almost 30% of the skills manually..
I tank with a Drk but switching to War after I finish leveling that job. Only skills I mouse click is my defensive cooldowns. I have my msin attacks all on number keys and CTRL + numbers. Drk is a very spammy job to play so all my main abilities has to be on my number keys. This game has so many abilities its crazy at times. I'm expecting a pruning of skills in the future.

Last edited:

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
I tank with a Drk but switching to War after I finish leveling that job. Only skills I mouse click is my defensive cooldowns. I have my msin attacks all on number keys and CTRL + numbers. Drk is a very spammy job to play so all my main abilities has to be on my number keys.
I main a paladin might be a little different

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Really depends on how many keys you want to bind. I bind everything or close to personally. I try to keep consistency between classes too so that helps.

Here's a full list of my PLD bind, spoiler because long:
Main 2 bars, Alt bar is up, normal is down

1 2 3: Riot > Royal combo
4: Goring Blade
5: Shield Throw
Alt 1: Spirits Within
Alt 2 3: Savage > Halone combo
Alt 4: Shield Swipe
Alt 5: Hallowed Ground
Q: Flash
Alt Q: Clemency
E: Holy Spirit
Alt E: Requiescat
R: Circle of Scorn
Alt R: Spin
F: Rampart
Alt F: Sentinel
C: Fight or Flight
Alt C: Reprisal
V: Convalescence
Alt V: Anticipation
X: Provoke
Button left of z(not sure what it is on qwerty keyboards): Sprint

Then I have some sidebars with more buttons, with Teleport/Recall/mount and shit up there too but bottom half of the 2 sidebars are hotkeys for combat for classes with a bunch.

Shift Q: Divine Veil
Shift E: Intervention
Shift R: Sheltron
G: Ultimatum
Mouse 5: Shirk
Alt Mouse 5: Tempered Will
Ctrl Mouse 5: Awareness
Z: Bulwark
Alt X: Cover
Alt+button left of Z that I don't know: Low Blow
"6th" mouse button that I have on this mouse: Wings
Ctrl C: Tank stance
Ctrl V: DPS stance
Ctrl F: Stun Shield Bash thing, I haven't used that in fucking forever though.

And I put silence on my bars and click it, for Seiryuu adds.

Ymmv but personally I hate having to click anything in the middle of combat, it takes my focus away from the fight too much. I like having everything bound, even though it does take some time to get used to with certain bindings, and it's a pain when you have to move shit around because of reworks or whatever. As I said I try to keep it consistent, so for example every tank uses the same keybindings for their role class skills, and I often use thematically similar buttons, like Q/Alt Q being defensive options(big and small heal for healers, earth stance and second wind for monk, jump back and vercure for rdm etc) or R/Alt R being aoe options, but depending on classes that doesn't always work. I had to extend the amount of keybindings I traditionally use due to how many skills FFXIV has though. And my SCH still has a few abilities not slotted because fuck the bloat.

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
Really depends on how many keys you want to bind. I bind everything or close to personally. I try to keep consistency between classes too so that helps.

Here's a full list of my PLD bind, spoiler because long:
Main 2 bars, Alt bar is up, normal is down

1 2 3: Riot > Royal combo
4: Goring Blade
5: Shield Throw
Alt 1: Spirits Within
Alt 2 3: Savage > Halone combo
Alt 4: Shield Swipe
Alt 5: Hallowed Ground
Q: Flash
Alt Q: Clemency
E: Holy Spirit
Alt E: Requiescat
R: Circle of Scorn
Alt R: Spin
F: Rampart
Alt F: Sentinel
C: Fight or Flight
Alt C: Reprisal
V: Convalescence
Alt V: Anticipation
X: Provoke
Button left of z(not sure what it is on qwerty keyboards): Sprint

Then I have some sidebars with more buttons, with Teleport/Recall/mount and shit up there too but bottom half of the 2 sidebars are hotkeys for combat for classes with a bunch.

Shift Q: Divine Veil
Shift E: Intervention
Shift R: Sheltron
G: Ultimatum
Mouse 5: Shirk
Alt Mouse 5: Tempered Will
Ctrl Mouse 5: Awareness
Z: Bulwark
Alt X: Cover
Alt+button left of Z that I don't know: Low Blow
"6th" mouse button that I have on this mouse: Wings
Ctrl C: Tank stance
Ctrl V: DPS stance
Ctrl F: Stun Shield Bash thing, I haven't used that in fucking forever though.

And I put silence on my bars and click it, for Seiryuu adds.

Ymmv but personally I hate having to click anything in the middle of combat, it takes my focus away from the fight too much. I like having everything bound, even though it does take some time to get used to with certain bindings, and it's a pain when you have to move shit around because of reworks or whatever. As I said I try to keep it consistent, so for example every tank uses the same keybindings for their role class skills, and I often use thematically similar buttons, like Q/Alt Q being defensive options(big and small heal for healers, earth stance and second wind for monk, jump back and vercure for rdm etc) or R/Alt R being aoe options, but depending on classes that doesn't always work. I had to extend the amount of keybindings I traditionally use due to how many skills FFXIV has though. And my SCH still has a few abilities not slotted because fuck the bloat.

i better look for some good macro script...I had some amazing macro for bard when the game first came out and cleared all the raids with it..

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's amazing what a few levels can do to make a job not feel like shit. Pal: 1-45 is slow as fuck and makes you want to read a book. Then 45-50 hits and it's like you're suddenly in a race-car just due to two more things to press that aren't defensive cooldowns. The GCD annoyance goes away with it too.

They could probably really benefit from shifting a few abilities to lower levels to fix some of the combat pacing and by doing some work on ARR's MSQ to fix its many problems, because as it stands the only negative things I can say about the game come from those early experiences.

I've pretty much settled on the jobs I actually enjoy after trying them all out. RDM/SAM/PAL and all 3 healers. The healing in this game is great because you spend half your time just DPS'ing, so it keeps you really active.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
If you try again during the day or whatever, it'll generally go in. They have char creation restrictions based on server pop updated every few hours, so at prime time generally a lot of servers are blocked. Otherwise as mentionned you could make a char on any server on the same datacenter and play cross server dungeons/stuff, using a cross server linkshell to communicate ingame(or just discord). Then in april or so use the free server transfer to get on the same servers. Could also benefit from making a char on a preferred server using this system, to get the Road to 60 xp buff.

Yeah, apparently that was a worry over nothing. Everyone else got on another server, made chars and started messing around. I wasn't able to get back to my PC until midnight, and Gilgamesh was open. I text the group, and 30 minutes later we all have chars on Gilg. I only had 30 minutes to actually play though, so did a couple of fetch things, and walked outside to murder a few ladybugs.

One thing I find super weird coming from wow.... I could google "Wow racial animations" or "Priest casting animation" or "Death knight armor sets" and come up with hundreds of youtube videos\photo comparisons. Any FF related google is giving me jack all in response. Want to see what every race looks like in armor? Nope. Want to see different races emotes? Nope. Every now and then there is some 18 second video from 2013 of a Lalafell climbing into a bed or something, but no crazy person who has gone through and shown every emote, run, jump, cast, attack for ever race/gender like you would see for wow.

It's really strange.

Also, in the brief time I was there I saw exclusively slut geared females, not a single other male character, that pretty standard?

Nola

Trakanon Raider
It's amazing what a few levels can do to make a job not feel like shit. Pal: 1-45 is slow as fuck and makes you want to read a book. Then 45-50 hits and it's like you're suddenly in a race-car just due to two more things to press that aren't defensive cooldowns. The GCD annoyance goes away with it too.

They could probably really benefit from shifting a few abilities to lower levels to fix some of the combat pacing and by doing some work on ARR's MSQ to fix its many problems, because as it stands the only negative things I can say about the game come from those early experiences.

I've pretty much settled on the jobs I actually enjoy after trying them all out. RDM/SAM/PAL and all 3 healers. The healing in this game is great because you spend half your time just DPS'ing, so it keeps you really active.
Thats was my main issue with FFXIV and I tell this to everyone else who is interested. Just deal with the lower levels cause they "will" suck especially with the GCD but the game gets MUCH better at higher levels. I'm going Drk/War as my primary jobs, scholar as a healer and dragoon and bard as my dps. I hope Gunlance will be available when 5x drops.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, apparently that was a worry over nothing. Everyone else got on another server, made chars and started messing around. I wasn't able to get back to my PC until midnight, and Gilgamesh was open. I text the group, and 30 minutes later we all have chars on Gilg. I only had 30 minutes to actually play though, so did a couple of fetch things, and walked outside to murder a few ladybugs.

One thing I find super weird coming from wow.... I could google "Wow racial animations" or "Priest casting animation" or "Death knight armor sets" and come up with hundreds of youtube videos\photo comparisons. Any FF related google is giving me jack all in response. Want to see what every race looks like in armor? Nope. Want to see different races emotes? Nope. Every now and then there is some 18 second video from 2013 of a Lalafell climbing into a bed or something, but no crazy person who has gone through and shown every emote, run, jump, cast, attack for ever race/gender like you would see for wow.

It's really strange.

Also, in the brief time I was there I saw exclusively slut geared females, not a single other male character, that pretty standard?
I think all the casting/combat animations are the same, same for emotes, the only difference are running animations and autoattack animations maybe? Not too sure. I spent some time making chars and making sure I had stuff right, but most races I wasn't interested in from the start anyway.

You can see armor in the char creator though, the AF1 specifically. You can change your class and go back to it to check different types of armor too. There's also websites with all the gear stuff. Only a few pieces of gear are actually race specific though(other than ears on helms for cats), it's mostly the same for everyone, just the starting racial gear and Hempen gear is different iirc.

On the male chars I see a fair amount, but it's mostly cute girls, often in skimpy clothes yeah. And potatos who think they're people.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Eorzea Collection | FFXIV Gear Catalogue

You can view some gearsets and glamours (transmog) there, but yes, there is a surprising lack of content showing these sort of things considering the interests of the community.

It's mostly catboys and a big speedo wearing Roeg with a chocobo head that I see on Exodus when it comes to the slutmogs. Mostly females otherwise, but they are usually well-made setups.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
XIV Style is gonna be a little bit more updated that the site that was linked before. Layout isn't as pretty, but hey it's got the new shit on there and it's broken down by location.

It doesn't have a section for custom made glamours or anything but it's something.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Neuad

Trakanon Raider
I got padded to hell and back, but I finally got my orange parse.

50% balance uptime, and the group happened to be double SMN and they staggered contagion properly, so near 50% contagion uptime.

Orange!.png

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Do you guys run two AST? Or maybe the one was just lucky with Balance.

Finally got caught up with MSQ, and got all the primals unlocked. Now it’s time to start working on the extremes.

Will the extreme unlocks go in a specific order or can I do them however I like? Was hoping to avoid Rathalos extreme but my guess is they’ll be gated.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Finally got caught up with MSQ, and got all the primals unlocked. Now it’s time to start working on the extremes.

Will the extreme unlocks go in a specific order or can I do them however I like? Was hoping to avoid Rathalos extreme but my guess is they’ll be gated.
If you've done the normal primal, you can take the quest for extreme unlock, regardless of what you did with other extremes. They're all in Kugane near the marketboard iirc, so you can just pick them all up and open everything.

Rathalos is its own thing however, quest is at the Inn in Kugane instead, and extreme unlocks there too after. Isn't required for anything else.

I've cleared Suzaku and Seiryuu and haven't even stepped into Byakko, Shinryu and Tsukuyomi.

Neuad

Trakanon Raider

That party was only 1 AST. Good RNG and using Time Dilatation and Celestial Opposition to extend cards doesnt make it super hard to get 50% balance uptime, from my understanding, but I don't actually play AST.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Ah yea, I always forget about time dilation. Usually I’m doing the AoE cards and then using celestial opposition.

Speaking of AST, does anyone know what the preferred usage of cards is? Usually I’m trying to spread a balance or spear to the whole group. I’ll put Arrow on casters when the opportunity arises. But for the most part I’m usually trying to hold a balance or spear until I can get an ewer or spire to royal road and spread them out.

Any hard and fast rules I need to know about that job? Been mostly doing AST instead of my BLM this time around because of faster queues.