Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cybsled

Ya, with the removal of loot lockouts in Omega and Osbornne, 0 reason to not get geared.

I'm really curious how the server visit is going to fuck with the economy of other servers on Crystal. Balmung's economy is less inflated than other servers because gold sellers were locked from making characters there, so at least for a bit, prices are probably going to tank on everything on my sever ;/ It will be a buyer's market for a bit until Balmung gets flooded with gold.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well it is kinda annoying to go buy shit and come back but it should event out on big prices items. If you want to buy full Rakshasa, you might as well shop around before you buy.

Honestly without a loot lockout on Orbonne, I'm not sure I even want to step in there again. That place fucking sucks to run with pubs, and now you have to roll against everyone. The loot lockout was actually good in that regard since you rarely had to compete on drops. Good to get loot from the first 2 bosses though. I have 8 coins saved up though so I'll probably just get the other coins and make some weapon upgrade mats shit and forget about upgrading the armor until it costs poetics after ShB releases. Hell I probably won't bother upgrading most of my weapons even.

Wish they had nerfed Hydatos too, Pagos nerf is nice for people who want to make more relics though I guess.

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah Hydatos really need something done crystal wise, even if it's just putting 50 crystals on OVNI and colling it a day.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Maps have tanked because of cross world movement, averaging out to 30k per server on Chaos right now.

I will get an ilvl 400 weapon for my PLD and my WHM, and after that I'm done with Orbonne. I geared up fanatically prior to HW, and prior to Stormblood, and I regret the time I put into it honestly. I've decided to focus entirely on getting to level 70 on battle classes I'd like to play at the beginning of Shadowbringers and crafting/gathering. I got my BTN to 70 just a moment ago too!

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm on Coeurl with a friend of mine, not going to move since I have a house and like it. :)

Also Coeurl has the nicest population of any MMO I have ever played. Sometimes it's almost sickening how nice people are, always apologizing for causing a wipe and people saying it's ok, we'll succeed on next try. This weekend during a trial that went bad, no one got mad, instead they started telling the healers that they were doing a great job with the rezzes. I hope it doesn't change.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
How does that work? Asking for a friend...
Sold skoll claw and Cassie earring at first but I’ve made way more just selling logos. A gold bunny chest could yield anywhere from 600k to 1.5m in logograms even if you don’t get the hairstyles.

Also the emotes like shiver in rare lockboxes still sell for 20m+

I never had more than a million Gil at a time till I got into eureka... then I had 30 in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
So I've been dying to play an MMO. Last night I remembered Twitch Prime gave out a copy of the Starter Edition a while back. Installing now and I'm really hoping it grabs me. Aiming for a Bard first. Other than that I'm going in blind. Is there anything I should really know going into this game?

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
So I've been dying to play an MMO. Last night I remembered Twitch Prime gave out a copy of the Starter Edition a while back. Installing now and I'm really hoping it grabs me. Aiming for a Bard first. Other than that I'm going in blind. Is there anything I should really know going into this game?

It really depends how much of a final fantasy fan you are.

I was a huge critic of Ff13’s hallway simulator linear storytelling but I still managed to slog through the main story.... and that’s key because all the features and content of the game is gated behind key points in your progress through the main story or your job story.

If you’re the sort who is turned off by linear rpgs, that’s more or less a dealbreaker cuz the main story is loooong.

• 1Like

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
The last time I was a real FF fan was FF7 and stuff prior to it for the most part. I do know about the main story and it's one of the things that interested me so that's not an issue.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The last time I was a real FF fan was FF7 and stuff prior to it for the most part. I do know about the main story and it's one of the things that interested me so that's not an issue.
I'd say the biggest hurdles for this game as a new player is how slow the combat starts and how slow the questing starts. Combat is a snoozefest until 50+ which can be a real downside for some people especially people who are used to mmos and such, but it definitely gets a lot better once you have a bunch of oGCDs to weave in your normal rotation and positionals/cast times/procs and all the usual mmo DDR systems. Story starts alright, slows down a bunch midway, then gets real good, then you finish the ARR MSQ and start the slow and terrible post ARR grind. There's a few gems, and the later parts of that get good once you start ramping up for Heavensward, but dear god it can be a grind. Even if you stop caring and skip everything, there's so many fetch quests inbetween it's pretty bad. Then you start Heavensward and it's a lot more streamlined, and the story is actually cool as fuck, the places look good, the bosses look great, it's all nice.

So yeah mostly the advice for a new player is, try to get through it, imo it's very worth it. That said, if you hate WoW because it's too WoW, well you might also hate this, since it's very WoW-like. But I guess more like, older WoW, so for some people that's just right.

Last edited:
  • 1Like