Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cybsled

Ya, there isn't a whole lot you need to spend gil on. I mostly just save up in the event they announce new housing and I like the spot more than Goblet. Or the pipe dream that they will add a palace option that is bigger than a mansion. Kinda pisses me off they confirmed they have no plans in the near future to boost housing item budgets, 400 for a mansion is way too fucking small.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Gotta keep them limits for the console people, man that must be a real headache having the ability too push things farther but you can't, maybe the PS5 will fix the problems... maybe ?

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Server pop going through the roof on Behemoth, queues logging in every night now, tons of people everywhere.

Love the last few days before a new expansion.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Seems they're removing the FATE challenge logs with 5.0 so no need to bother prepping these. Bit weird since they said they still have FATEs, although less random ones and more story ones like the Azim Steppes FATEs. Maybe because they have their own rewards stuff, or because they boosted xp on them.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
It’s hard to say because I don’t know where in the MSQ you’ll hit 70. Assuming you are 70 at the end of the Stormblood MSQ and you’re the correct ilevel. There’s 40 quests for the post Stormblood, but only 3 dungeons and 1 trial and a few solo duties(2-4 not sure).

You can probably guesstimate from there. If I have to guess probably around 8 to 12 hours. I never skipped cutscenes or not read quest text, so my guess on how long it takes to do 40 quests might be off a lot. :)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'll be watching youtube to catch up on the story. I won't be heartbroken if come next Friday I'm not caught up, but this weekend I'm gonna try to power through it. Usually only takes me 2-3 hours per level right now at 65. I do MSQ up until it runs dry, spam two dungeons, level, continue.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was caught up to the end of the stormblood story. I have put in 7 hours and now am through about 2/3rds of the post stormblood story. I would recommend buying gear on the market board once you hit cap. You need to be ilvl 360 to finish the msq.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Planning on it. Not sure I got enough Gil but probably
Just getting a Rakshasa weapon is a huge shortcut, and the weapon alone should be 200-300k, which is very affordable. The rest of the gear imo you can get via tomes pretty quick so keeping the ilvl up isn't that hard.

And SB patches are like 2hours each or so, while watching cutscenes. It's really not much time.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I'm having a lot of fun just working on harvesting and crafting right now. I realized I missed two of the crafting classes; weaver and alchemist. I will probably pick them up tonight. I got all my other harvesting/crafting up to at least level 15 with some up to 25ish.

My Monk is sitting at 30 right now, and I don't plan to work on him anymore until I get all of the harvesting/crafting up to 30. I want to level everything together 10 levels at a time because I'm crazy like that lol.

I also finally got both of my retainers, sent one out on his first venture, and had the other one holding the vast majority of my junk.

I need to look it up to see what it is I have to do to unlock the chocobo saddlebags because that's still locked for me.

All and all, I am finding this game to be extremely relaxing. It feels so good to play a MMORPG where I don't feel like I have to have other people to accomplish anything (aka EverQuest) while at the same time feeling like my accomplishments aren't just meaningless boxes being checked off (aka WoW).

Plus this is the first game to not punish me heavily for having alt-aholic-syndrome.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just getting a Rakshasa weapon is a huge shortcut, and the weapon alone should be 200-300k, which is very affordable. The rest of the gear imo you can get via tomes pretty quick so keeping the ilvl up isn't that hard.

And SB patches are like 2hours each or so, while watching cutscenes. It's really not much time.
I logged in at 318 with a Lakshmi weapon etc. I ran the first alliance raid as a tank and did some roulettes and bought two times pieces and still had to buy the weapon and another rak piece to get in to the 335 trial. The rak weapon is 400k on my server.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I logged in at 318 with a Lakshmi weapon etc. I ran the first alliance raid as a tank and did some roulettes and bought two times pieces and still had to buy the weapon and another rak piece to get in to the 335 trial. The rak weapon is 400k on my server.
You want to unlock the dungeons and do them for first time bonus, it's like 140mendacity per dungeon or something, then you buy belt/accs to pump that ilvl. You also can get upgrades from them, for example Hell's Lid and Fractal drop i325 stuff, a small upgrade, then you get to i330 with mendacities and can do Swallow's Compass which drops i345. At 325, you can also queue for Sigmascape(Deltascape first), which can give some i350gear and a lot of mendacities for first time clears. And then the 24man raids as you said.

Also if at 318, you can do one solid round of centurio clan hunt bounties to get started, 2weeklies 2daillies(Ishgard ones too), that's 410 centurio, enough to buy a couple 330 pieces.

Finally before buying stuff you want to make sure to world visit a bit, figure out if there's better prices on other servers. Still 400k isn't that bad with how annoying getting a good weapon is otherwise, involves running alphascape V4 4times and 1000 genesis which is a stupid amount, or doing Seiryu EX which requires good gear to do to begin with, or Savage which obviously also requires good gear or Eureka which takes forever to get to high ilvl.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I left after Alexander was out so all my first time bonuses for everything I was able to get in to were gone. All the new dungeons required me to be like 335. Maybe getting tomes will be easier for a new level 70. I found tomes a bad way to get gear. I think I have the second alliance raid quest now which should help bump me closer to 360. As a tank in those alliance raid it's all basically free gear.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You mean Omega? That was 4.0 though, you said you had primal gear on so that's also what I assumed. There's a bunch of dungeons between that and the first MSQ trial in 4.3. I quit in 4.0 too, think I had a bit higher ilvl(324?) probably cause more upgraded tome gear shit, but when I resubbed in 4.4, I mostly did that, didn't do the raids though I left that for later, instead I ran swallow's compass 4 times to get i345 gear, using mendacity and centurio to get to 330 to run it, and that was with an i350 crafted weapon since rakshasa was like 1.5m then. Then did some sigmascape for more tomes and i360 mendacity weapons and then Suzaku EX once I got full mendacity from running roulettes and what not. I wouldn't recommend Suzaku anymore though and Rakshasa is more affordable anyway.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Server pop going through the roof on Behemoth, queues logging in every night now, tons of people everywhere.

Love the last few days before a new expansion.

Aegis has been full the past few nights I've tried to get on, same with Excalibur also it's always crazy when a new expansion gets ready to go.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Aegis has been full the past few nights I've tried to get on, same with Excalibur also it's always crazy when a new expansion gets ready to go.
Exodus has been full every time I have logged in the past week, and most times I logged in the week before that. The wait is very minimal though, so it doesn't bother me. It's nice to see so much activity.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'll be watching youtube to catch up on the story. I won't be heartbroken if come next Friday I'm not caught up, but this weekend I'm gonna try to power through it. Usually only takes me 2-3 hours per level right now at 65. I do MSQ up until it runs dry, spam two dungeons, level, continue.

You can make it and be caught up. I believe.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You mean Omega? That was 4.0 though, you said you had primal gear on so that's also what I assumed. There's a bunch of dungeons between that and the first MSQ trial in 4.3. I quit in 4.0 too, think I had a bit higher ilvl(324?) probably cause more upgraded tome gear shit, but when I resubbed in 4.4, I mostly did that, didn't do the raids though I left that for later, instead I ran swallow's compass 4 times to get i345 gear, using mendacity and centurio to get to 330 to run it, and that was with an i350 crafted weapon since rakshasa was like 1.5m then. Then did some sigmascape for more tomes and i360 mendacity weapons and then Suzaku EX once I got full mendacity from running roulettes and what not. I wouldn't recommend Suzaku anymore though and Rakshasa is more affordable anyway.
I did the first three primals I think? Two maybe? Deltascape not Alexander. Alexander was last expansion. I'm dumb. Anyways grinding up to 330 to do some of the trials and stuff was hard. Dungeon drops are few and far between. As a tank I found the alliance raids to be baller because no one else is rolling against you and it's like a 50 percent shot at gear every boss.

After buying stuff I am down to like 2.5 million Gil. I never spend it though so after grinding some more stuff out tonight I will probably buy enough to get in to the final dungeon at 360 or whatever it is.

What are people playing? I think I am going to try out the new tank for shadowbringers. It looks fun and the MSQ is always straight fucked for the first day or two of an expansion. Like go spend 5 or 6 hours in heaven leveling to 70 and then move on to the new MSQ behind the curve. First expansion I had the day off and got past the cockblock before everyone so it wasn't bad. Last expansion I worked a half day and by the time I got home we were all stuck at that point where you would see the cut scene then get booted. It was before Rhalgars Reach. I changed to botany and just farmed mats for like a day before getting back to it.

Junun

Silver Knight of the Realm
Just bought the expansion, but i'm soooooo far behind. I'm working on the MSQ and i'm at 55 on smn/sch. I have all weekend to play but even with the 30% bonus earring I do see myself catching up this weekend.