Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The complete edition is on sale for 30$. Is it likely to get cheaper than this over the holidays?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Daily session at max level or fresh off the boat?

At max, it would primarily involve running duties, dungeons, and quests/daily stuff. Crafting if you're into that. Or level your other jobs.

If you're a fresh player, then you'll be leveling through the main story quest, which is extremely extensive.

Yes, at max. None of that seems much different than what WoW offers. I'm looking for something to hook me into giving this another go that's worth slogging through the atrocious early levels that has killed my interest previously.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yes, at max. None of that seems much different than what WoW offers. I'm looking for something to hook me into giving this another go that's worth slogging through the atrocious early levels that has killed my interest previously.
Compared to WoW, there's a lot of similarity, but that's boring so I'll highlight the major differences of what you can do at max level:

WoW has:
- Mythic and M+ dungeons.
- World quests.
- More reputations and rewards for them.
- Bigger raids (literally and more bosses).
- Better technology. This has been one of Blizzard's strength in the past decade, easily; their software and hardware people have been doing good work, especially with the concept of terrain phasing and Connected Realms.

FF14 has:
- Duty Roulette. *drops mic*
* I'm mostly referring to the ability to run lower level instances with your lower-level friends easily and/or in a premade group.
- More catch-up content, for gear or levels.
* Levels -- Palace of the Dead for your 1-60 needs; Heaven on High for 61-70.
* Gear -- Poetics tomestones (generic currency for 1-60 gear you get from "level cap" instances, meaning 50/60/70), 24-man raiding and 8-man "story" raids (to catchup to current content)
- Deep Dungeon -- Not really similar to M+, but it is 4-man RNG content that you have to coordinate on, particularly when you hit F180 (of 200) in Palace of the Dead.
- Eureka -- If you really liked camping in EQ and FF11, here you go.
- Ultimate difficulty raid boss which requires almost absolute perfection (including healers putting out) during mechanics.
- Disassociation of PvE and PvP abilities (as of 4.0).
* Some people will disagree with me on saying that this is a good thing, but I can't stand trying to figure out what my WoW abilities do in PVP or how they're different.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The complete edition is on sale for 30$. Is it likely to get cheaper than this over the holidays?
Humble Bundle has it for 20euros, not sure what that translates to in dollar but probably less than 30. It is possible it'll go lower too, a lot of the shops haven't started their winter/fall/thanksgiving/blackfriday sales shit. But I doubt it'll go much lower than 20 so you wouldn't lose too much if you want to buy it asap from them.

I'd say it's not too much different than wow at max level tbh.

You have roulettes everyday, basically pick a random activity based on the roulette, most people run expert roulette which is the most current dungeons for the newest tomes, run it 4days and you're capped on the best tomes for the week(less if you do other stuff). Other roulettes give more tomes if you need the basic uncapped tomes to gear alt classes or whatever, or just for money, and previous expansion content gives poetics which let you buy leveling gear for the previous expansions cap stuff. Also those tomes can all be used to buy materials and shit if you have no need for gear and just want some money.

You have your weekly raids shit, a 24man raid for mostly cosmetic rewards or catchup/alt gear and a 8man raid which is the real endgame, normal version for easy pubbing which gives an item at the end to make the highest tier of weapon in the patch(but only after you get 7, so 7weeks of running it before you get the ez weapon) and savage version for people who actually want to raid hard, savage drops upgrade items to upgrade your current tome armor to a higher ilvl, as well as direct armor drops of that same higher ilvl, and special pages items in case you get fucked by RNG, turn in pages to buy gear. There's also Ultimate raids, those are out of progression and purely for the challenge, reward nice cosmetic stuff and a title.

Other activities involve doing stuff like beast tribe daillies for materials/money(rep if you're not capped yet too, unlocks mounts and pets and shit like that). Leveling "alts" which for the most part just means leveling other classes on your own character. Doing some crafting/gathering to turn in weekly delivery items for big rewards or just to make money. Running old content for cosmetics. Doing some bad PvP for side rewards/fun. Doing some minigames in the Golden Saucer to get currency to buy cool mounts. Grinding the Relic weapon for the current or previous expansion, which involves doing a lot of repetitive content to get a shiny weapon with cool effects on it.

It"s really no different, there's a bunch of side content if you like collecting things, but if you don't the routine is pretty standard stuff.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Good info. Since I canceled my WoW subscription I may give this a try again. I think I have a level 50ish WHM but I may start all over again to experience the story. I don't really remember it. So what's a good class to level with and then to do solo pve and casually dungeons and raids?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Thanks Pyros Pyros & dvoraen dvoraen

I've tried to get into this several times in the past and it just didn't tickle my pickle in the right ways, yet I still keep wanting to get into it. I should probably just take the hint, but you know how the old "I need an MMO to play" hankering goes.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Good info. Since I canceled my WoW subscription I may give this a try again. I think I have a level 50ish WHM but I may start all over again to experience the story. I don't really remember it. So what's a good class to level with and then to do solo pve and casually dungeons and raids?
Anything is fine really, but healers and tanks have faster queues for shit so that helps when lvling. The balancing is fairly solid in XIV, some classes are considered worse but the difference is mostly a negligible amount that doesn't matter more than player skill anyway.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
One thing I think is funny about the MP/TP merger: Red Mages will all but have to be given another MP restore ability (beyond Lucid Dreaming). Otherwise, they'll have to prune the non-gauge costs from the melee combo. Personally, I'd just put an MP restore on each of the Enchanted versions of the melee weaponskills, including Moulinet.

I'm now curious what they're going to do with Goad, Invigorate, and Refresh , as well as whether or not BRD/MCH will get another dethreat skill to replace Tactician. Ditto for Spire/Ewer changes for AST.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They're just going to have to rescale everything regardless so I wouldn't waste time trying to figure it out. Too many classes have weird systems with either MP or TP. PLD, DRK, RDM, BRD will all have to be reworked due to how they use both ressources, sometimes in ways that just wouldn't work in a new unified system. For example PLDs have to dump their entire mp bar every minute or so, so obviously they're going to change that. BRD aim to dump their mp bar whenever it's up too. DRK are constantly at low mp from abilities. Meanwhile there's a ton of skills that are mp or tp specific like BRD/MCH role abilities or AST cards. So yeah they're just gonna change everything and rescale everything I'd assume, or give TP classes some passive that makes mp behave the same as TP currently with similar large ticks regen, and all TP abilities will be given a mp% cost instead so regardless of your mp value, it works the same as the 1000TP bar.

I guess it's better to unify the systems since they're virtually the same other than how fast they regen and a lot of classes only used one bar anyway(after they changed Sprint to not suck all your TP). For RDM they'll probably just rescale the costs down a bit to compensate for having more stuff costing mp, that's the easier one tbh. BRD I could see them just removing the cost on Foes and giving it a cooldown, easy fix that works similarily(maybe even make their mp role ability cut the cooldown some to emulate how it works now). PLD and DRK are the ones that are going to require the most reworks, DRK especially. PLD they can just make it so you have really low Holy Spirit potency outside of Requiescat and give it a standard TP cost(now named MP but still), so that while you can spam it forever now, it'd be terrible to do, however when you have Requiescat, you just spam for the duration like now, same rotation this way and no real change. The heal is trickier, probably don't want PLD main healing raids for lulz, and with a standard TP cost, it seems like something you'd be able to actually do unless the TP cost is very high, which would be pretty punishing.

Last edited:

Cybsled

Also it wasn't listed, but the true endgame in FFXIV is Housing lol

As for the role abilities like Goad/etc, pretty sure they mentioned they are 100% redoing the system next expansion, so I wouldn't be surprised if it either goes away or they just bake the abilities into the various class abilities.

Good summary video

Last edited:

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Truth about the difference between WoW and FFXIV at the maxest of max level/ilevel/etc? (Assuming best gear, maxed for weekly tome grind, etc.)

You'll still be logging in every day to stare at your screen. Difference is - our zones look nicer. :p

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
On the downside, we have players who pay probably upwards of close to $1000 all around to go to an annual Fan Fest event, are one of the few chosen to stand up and ask the creators/developers of the fucking game any question they want, and they request more mini games in the Golden Saucer....

These questions. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
TwitchUI_2018-11-18_00-48-28.png

Wow it's shit.

Cybsled

I think they are trying this as an experiment. Problem is if you join groups and don't have enough abilities, then you are dead weight. By limiting the levels, you make sure you have enough people with base skills and it gives them more time to figure out how to implement/balance them at higher levels.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm still trying to wrap my head around what they said. So much contradicting information.

"Solo Play Job. They are not intended for party play, as their abilities wouldn't work well with the content."

"CAN'T do Roulettes or use Duty Finder, Match-making, Deep Dungeon, or PvP.

"CAN use Party Finder and join pre-made parties however, and do duties." (and raids too, presumably?)

So if we can do pre-made duties, trials, and by that extension, hopefully raids....what the fuck is the comment about it being solo only, not intended for party play if you CAN USE THEM IN A PARTY?

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I'm still trying to wrap my head around what they said. So much contradicting information.

"Solo Play Job. They are not intended for party play, as their abilities wouldn't work well with the content."

"CAN'T do Roulettes or use Duty Finder, Match-making, Deep Dungeon, or PvP.

"CAN use Party Finder and join pre-made parties however, and do duties." (and raids too, presumably?)

So if we can do pre-made duties, trials, and by that extension, hopefully raids....what the fuck is the comment about it being solo only, not intended for party play if you CAN USE THEM IN A PARTY?

It baffles me too. I mean they show off an ability learned from Shiva which you're clearly going to need to group for seeing as you're 50 capped, yet I can't find that group through duty finder because it's a solo job that might not have its abilities or might kill the boss with level death.

What the actual fuck.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
My post on reddit was this:

So let me lay out a scenario for you.

• I can only play late in the evening when the game is quiet.
  • Therefore I am a primarily solo player.
  • I've hit level 50 through solo play, obtaining the skills I can in the overworld but I'm missing a key spell I want to obtain; Avalanche.
  • To obtain this spell I need to fight Shiva, or preferably Shiva Extreme enough to learn this spell through luck.
  • Seeing as I'm capped at level 50 I cannot solo the duty by doing under leveled Akh Afah Amphitheatre (Extreme). I need a group in order to help me.
  • I cannot solo this content.
  • I cannot use the duty finder because the job is 'Limited'
  • I put a Party Finder up but it's late in the evening so I get no response.
  • I shout, but it's late in the evening so I get no response.
  • I cannot learn this skill until the level cap is raised in 6 months time
  • I cannot beat specific Carnivale content because I need this skill

Now It can't just be me that sees a contradiction here. This job is supposed to be a solo oriented job, but it requires party play in order to obtain every spell. This is bad for both solo oriented players who want a truly solo experience, and it's also bad for people who want to main this job through all content. Doing this half way is the absolute worst way to handle this.

If level 5 Death is causing balance issues then put it on a huge timer and make bosses immune to it. You're not killing the identity of a job by making Death something that bosses are immune to. Death is traditionally a pretty bad spell. Make it shine in Carnivale or have some other effect. This argument seems incredibly flawed to me because I guarantee that there'll be a meta set of 24 skills used in most content outside of carnivale anyway.

If not learning specific skills is causing toxicity, then require certain spells to be learned before it allows you to use the duty finder. (at least 24 for example)

If they want to make this half way acceptable I truly hope they allow duty finder for non raid content.

Cybsled

Pre-made knows what to expect I guess, vs. doing roulettes and randoms getting stuck with a gimp mage I guess?

That seriously hampers the ability to get XP, though. The duty roulettes are massive XP. Guess command missions and PoTD? lol