Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Pre-made knows what to expect I guess, vs. doing roulettes and randoms getting stuck with a gimp mage I guess?

That seriously hampers the ability to get XP, though. The duty roulettes are massive XP. Guess command missions and PoTD? lol

They can't do PotD. They get more exp from regular mobs outside though, so yay I'm super looking forward to farming overworld mobs solo, what a truly engaging job.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So 4.5 will be split into 2 parts, first in January and second in March and with expansion early summer that’s a decent pacing for new content.

As someone who had no intention of having a blue Mage as a main, or any new class really since I like my Red Mage/Scholar. Other classes I level just for the sake of completion but not to seriously play. Also as someone who primarily play solo, I find the blue Mage interesting since I like any new activity that can be done solo. That said I totally understand people who wanted to play one as a main to be upset.

I do respect that Square is willing to do stuff outside of the box to try an offer new and different gaming experience though. In this case creating a class that can be broken in group play but have such freedom to learn any type of abilities giving them a very unique gameplay. And then going so far as to give them a special end game system like the carnival where they need to defeat stages of mobs, each requiring very specific set of abilities to do so. Oh don’t have the right skills, go back and hunt the world for them and come back. 25 different stages. Sounds cool enough to me.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm actually looking forward to doing FATEs again, I didn't mind it in 2.0 and the less PotD I have to do the better imo. They get additional xp so it should be fine and faster, it's not even that slow nowadays with the 100% armory bonus(versus 50% back in 2.0). Alternatively you'll be able to do a PF for normal dungeons with 3 other BLU. If the class is strong enough, it might be worth it.

On the can't do roulette but can do PF, have to remember that they won't be at level cap for probably a long time, so you won't be able to do current raids regardless.

My expectation is they'll do the full expansion with BLU being under cap, just adding more stuff, and as they start working on 6.0, work on making a standardized BLU set of abilities(with potential nerfed versions of the skills). Then in 5.5 or 6.0, you'll be able to do a quest if you have the right skills to increase your cap to the current cap and queue to dungeons with a restricted setup to fit the more rigid XIV systems. I think they'll make it so you can't PF into current content without the restricted set too. Then you'll have 2 versions of the class, the "normal XIV BLU" with its 30ish abilities, always the same, balanced around the capabilities of other classes, and then uncapped solo god version. And then they'll add Beastmaster/Puppetmaster for 6.x cycle the same way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Honestly, as far as BLU goes, I seriously can't wait to Bad Breath the Binding Coil bosses. Paralysis alone is pretty OP (though I would think they're immune to it for multiple reasons), and Bad Breath comes with HP Penalty too! The Pomander and quest item exploiters can kiss my blue ass. I'm still trying to figure out how BLU is going to learn Mighty Guard (Carnivale?), because I can't think of a single thing that casts it. Ditto for White WInd, because that alone is pretty broken.

The full 5.0 trailer should be illuminating. Here's to hoping for an Ilsabard map like we got with Othard.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So all my Googling is failing... I want to be in Mouse mode, but use a controller, which is possible and works great. Except I don't have a tab target any longer, and any kind of cycle through enemies can not be put into a macro? If I was in controller mode, instead of mouse mode, I guess it's possible there?

Anyone know the work around? Right now in a dungeon, I'll hit O to target nothing, then X again to target something new which just targets closest enemy.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Don't the D pad target stuff? Pretty sure that's the normal way to target, other than X for nearest target, like left/right to switch targets iirc, maybe up/down it's been a while. Alternatively you could use some program to bind it differently? Not sure what you use for your pad if you're using native support or what, I think you can get it to go through Steam first to let you use a profile for your pad instead, or a 3rd party or autohotkey. Same with the mouse, can rebind any of the side buttons to tab or something.

Not 100% sure what you're trying to do though, play with both the mouse and pad at the same time? How do you use skills like that? If you're just playing with a pad, and using the mouse to click on menus etc, then any mode does that.

Maybe your issue is your targetting scheme is set on something bad? I forgot how to switch it on Gamepad but just above your healthbar, there's a small indicator that should say All, when it targets everything. You can set it up to only target allies or enemies and a custom one. If it's on allies for example it prevents you from targeting enemies when trying to turn in a quest or target a NPC to heal it, that'd also prevent you from tabbing. If you go into the targetting options, one of the tab has all that crap to select the right scheme, the binding to switch should be in there. It's probably some shit like hold L1 or R1 then press down/up or whatever.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Guilds Poppin, After every shitty MMO launch or terrible triple A game more people coming back home to the guild.

Currently, Working on Savage content and we got some crafters to 70 as well.

I'm the terribad Red Mage but also lead landscaper Decorator and Gay Cowboy.
ffxiv_11182018_160826.png

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Don't the D pad target stuff? Pretty sure that's the normal way to target, other than X for nearest target, like left/right to switch targets iirc, maybe up/down it's been a while. Alternatively you could use some program to bind it differently? Not sure what you use for your pad if you're using native support or what, I think you can get it to go through Steam first to let you use a profile for your pad instead, or a 3rd party or autohotkey. Same with the mouse, can rebind any of the side buttons to tab or something.

Not 100% sure what you're trying to do though, play with both the mouse and pad at the same time? How do you use skills like that? If you're just playing with a pad, and using the mouse to click on menus etc, then any mode does that.

Maybe your issue is your targetting scheme is set on something bad? I forgot how to switch it on Gamepad but just above your healthbar, there's a small indicator that should say All, when it targets everything. You can set it up to only target allies or enemies and a custom one. If it's on allies for example it prevents you from targeting enemies when trying to turn in a quest or target a NPC to heal it, that'd also prevent you from tabbing. If you go into the targetting options, one of the tab has all that crap to select the right scheme, the binding to switch should be in there. It's probably some shit like hold L1 or R1 then press down/up or whatever.
I'm just saying I want to use controller, without being in controller mode. No, I'm not trying to use mouse + controller. Sorry I didn't explain it too well.

I mention the different modes because in controller mode, there's a whole different button setup than if you are in mouse mode, using a controller.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
man excited for the next few patches, world visiting system is gonna be fun. BLU though mehhh never really liked it in XI so *shrug* happy for people who wanted it.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I didnt check all the details, but Blue Mage sounds like a gimmick thing for people at max, like gold saucer. I was really hoping for another tank or healer like others have said.

I also wish they would go through some of the older stuff not accessible via the duty finder and add it. It tooks me a long time as a new player to learn where to go to do certain things.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm just saying I want to use controller, without being in controller mode. No, I'm not trying to use mouse + controller. Sorry I didn't explain it too well.

I mention the different modes because in controller mode, there's a whole different button setup than if you are in mouse mode, using a controller.
Hmm the UI does change, but the buttons don't get deactivated iirc. You can hide the Cross button layout for gamepad and display the normal hotbars and get the same UI while in controller mode as far as I remember. I don't have a sub running atm though so I can't really check ingame.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I didnt check all the details, but Blue Mage sounds like a gimmick thing for people at max, like gold saucer. I was really hoping for another tank or healer like others have said.

I also wish they would go through some of the older stuff not accessible via the duty finder and add it. It tooks me a long time as a new player to learn where to go to do certain things.

Seems they are adding some kind of NG+ mode(ya weird) were you can go back and redo stuff.. maybe they'll add more duty's when they get that figured out. And also all this newer stuff is before expansion, Expansion sounds like gonna be 5-6jobs(I'm guessing) and a Gunblade style job(Brave Fencer ? Whatever it will be called, I better be able too Lionheart Ultima Weapon hahaha.)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Seems they are adding some kind of NG+ mode(ya weird) were you can go back and redo stuff.. maybe they'll add more duty's when they get that figured out. And also all this newer stuff is before expansion, Expansion sounds like gonna be 5-6jobs(I'm guessing) and a Gunblade style job(Brave Fencer, maybe ?)
The only things before the expansion are BLU and the server transfer shit, everything else is expansion content. And there's not gonna be 5-6jobs that'd be ridiculous. There's gonna be 2 most likely, gunblade and another.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Bruh, when that shit drops it's gonna be me as Soldier job with Squall Leonhart glamour FOR EVER.

They literally give you his outfit as a subscriber bonus, find yourself some emo hair and a scar and you are set.

Real men glamour as Seifer.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So after a week being back and getting used to all the stuff again.

I had left at 4.0 and 310 iLevel, I caught up to 4.3 but need 320 or 330 to advance. I haven't done any roulette so far so I am only at 314 iLevel. I'm not in a rush.

I had to take care of the really important stuff first, I created a Glamour Plate so I can easily apply my favorite look to all pieces easily rather than 1 by 1. Since I got a house, I went to the very important task of changing the color of my Chocobo who is now Red which matches my Red Mage outfit. :)

My crafting and gathering were only around 15 or so, now my gathering are 25-27, and most crafting at 20, with carpenter at 25...focusing on this since I want to make furniture for my house which is rather empty right now.

I'm pretty sure I'm committing to FF14 till expansion, with what I want to do in game. Get all crafting and gathering to 70, decorate my house, get faction with various Beast Tribes, level a few other jobs, catch up on the story, then 4.5 pat and 4.5 part 2. Some gear grinding etc...

The game is surprisingly alive, and I am on a fairly low population server.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
For those on Aether and not already in a cross-world linkshell, I'm sitting in party finder so I can try to invite you to that CWLS if interested. (Today is crafting day.)

Holler at me here and I'll give out PW. Took it down for now. Getting odd tells and/or trolls about it. One person even asked me "wtf is a ffxiv thread"

There is a small chance I'll be afk or alt-tabbed but I have sounds on to hear people stalking the group.

Last edited:

Stave

Potato del Grande
I wonder if they will make Blue Mage super powerful because they are a solo class. So that they can go solo things like Shiva and other older content at max level. Similar to how some of the jobs could solo group content in FFXI.

Also, I can imagine this stings for people that wanted to main Blue Mage. Kinda like when they announced Dark Knight would be a Tank. So glad they didn't pull the same shit with Samurai.

Cybsled

This would be a probable outcome for Blue mages

1) Class is released and people play it
2) SE gathers data on abilities most used by Blue Mages/ability spread etc. Also overall player adoption rate on the class.
3) Tweaks made based on feedback/this data
4) Next tier of Blue Mage leveling is released. Duty finder is released for level 50+ Blue mages.
5) Repeat 2+3+4
6) When enough passes have been gone through, balance issues should have been addressed and future content sufficiently balanced to take into account Blue Mages.