Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Cybsled

For housing stuff, the most bang for your buck will be Carpenter, Goldsmith, Alchemy, Blacksmithing, and Armorer. Weaver and leatherworking make a few chairs/couches/rugs, but you'll find the most variety on the other ones. For carpenter, armorer is important because some of the things like hinges are made by armorer (for doors/etc), plus you can smith the metals used by a lot of the furniture as well.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
All the activity in this thread is making me want to come back. Gonna log in and get my free days anyhow, and try to see the new content.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So what is the Icy Veins equivalent that gives rotation and gearing advice for each job?
Not sure that works Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

There isn't a good website for it. Maybe the one linked is good I don't know, but all the theorycrafting that seems to be done is generally on the Balance discord. Being a discord it can be a bit of a bitch to navigate, but the pinned messages usually have all the info you need, basic guides, picture guides if there's any, BiS lists and all that.

All the activity in this thread is making me want to come back. Gonna log in and get my free days anyhow, and try to see the new content.
If you don't mind waiting, you can do your 4days during december instead and do the Starlight seasonal event. Should be from the 15th to the 31st as every year, and the free login campaign lasts until the 23rd. Wether or not that's worth it though, that really depends on the years and events, sometimes it's just crappy housing stuff and a minion, sometimes it's cool costumes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Thinking about popping back into this since wow is dying and I’m burnt out on RDR2. Think my warrior was around 56 when I quit last.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The Balance has a website. Link to the job guides page The Balance FFXIV - Job Guides
Ah they organized that stuff nice. But yeah the discord has all those google docs/picture guides pinned usually in each class rooms, and the added benefit of it being a Discord is you can ask questions if you're unclear about stuff, last time I checked there were always people there to answer specific questions about certain classes and things like that, so it was pretty helpful.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I only have had to deal with it every couple years after ff11 but Square has and has always had the most fucking retarded login system and account recovery imaginable.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I only have had to deal with it every couple years after ff11 but Square has and has always had the most fucking retarded login system and account recovery imaginable.
Can't agree any better. Their account recovery system is abyssmal.

Think I'm going to play this again. My highest character is 56 on Goblin. What's a good poplutated server to restart on? Was thinking about Gilgamesh.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Fuck people and their stack of 99 on the marketboard, I only need 2.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Fuck people and their stack of 99 on the marketboard, I only need 2.
With limited retainer space though it doesn't make sense to sell small amounts for some stuff. On the flipside, there's often small shares of popular markets to grab by simply trading retainer slots for quantity. I often sold stuff in pack of 2 3 5 10 instead of one stack of 20, and they'd sell much faster that way, but it does mean you need to constantly refill the retainer and readjust multiple prices once someone undercuts too much and shit like that.

Can always see if anyone in your FC has the items, assuming you're in one. I know for a long time I had virtually every crafting material in the game during HW or so. At SB launch I just sold everything old other than annoying shit to gather(timed nodes and stuff), just wasn't worth all the retainer space.

You can also often just buy 99, take 2 out and relist 97 for the same price and you'll only lose a little bit in the process. Hell you could do the splitting yourself, resell stacks of 10, 20 and 30 at a premium. Depends on what the items are though.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I keep hearing this, and trust me I believe you cause the amount of complaints i've heard over the years blot out the sun, but man - i've just been really fucking lucky in this regard.

I've had to call SE 3 times over the years, for recovering an account, unattaching my One-Time vpn key thingie, and problems with charges on the card I use to sub, and every single time i've gotten some straight up "Chad" from the US who immediately recognizes my problem, admits it sucks and proceeds to fix it in a matter of minutes. They always seem crazy knowledgeable on the game and it's procedures, and you can tell "this person actually plays the game, and isn't just here for a paycheck".

That being said it has been about 2 years or so since the last time I've called, so it must have taken a serious downfall since.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They have the worst centralized site layout of any company known to man. Oh I'm sorry did you want to go to the Mog station or the Lodestone? Trying to buy a game on sale that's a different site. But make sure to buy it at the right one or you might not get the discount or special code. It's gotta be some weird Japanese bushido code where you must suffer to get what you need.

Seriously I have not run across a single Japanese game that had good WWW support.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I keep hearing this, and trust me I believe you cause the amount of complaints i've heard over the years blot out the sun, but man - i've just been really fucking lucky in this regard.

I've had to call SE 3 times over the years, for recovering an account, unattaching my One-Time vpn key thingie, and problems with charges on the card I use to sub, and every single time i've gotten some straight up "Chad" from the US who immediately recognizes my problem, admits it sucks and proceeds to fix it in a matter of minutes. They always seem crazy knowledgeable on the game and it's procedures, and you can tell "this person actually plays the game, and isn't just here for a paycheck".

That being said it has been about 2 years or so since the last time I've called, so it must have taken a serious downfall since.

It has gotten a shit ton better vs what it was with XI, the whole PlayOnline system they used for it(they are still using it, but only for billing on XI basically) at least now you can select you Login name, I remeber setting up my XI account and WTF at how backwards that whole thing was.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah XI stuff is still a fucking mess. Might be worse now maybe even? Because now you need 2 sets of login/pass, one for PlayOnline like before, and one for Square Enix. When you log in, it asks you for stuff but it's vague enough that you kinda have to try both. God forbid you also have 2 step authentification since then you need yet another code. The worst part about XI though isn't so much the whole setting up your account, I mean it's a fucking mess there, have to make a PlayOnline account, link your game to it, then link that to Square Enix, and activate the character and account, it's how fucking shit PlayOnline is as a launcher for games and how shit XI is built.

Both combined result in a 10hours download for 10gb if you go the official way, regardless of your speed and that's only for the patches, since you download all the base content "CDs" directly from SE website which is like 3x5gb files that takes 30secs to download as you'd expect. Instead you want to download a zip file that contains the game files from a 3rd party website, and then when you unzip that, it still takes like 30minutes to do because the game is made up of 10 thousand of files instead of a few big files with the stuff in it, so it takes forever to open/move. If you don't do that you have to leave the launcher open all night.

Oh and the launcher slows down your computer because it's such a piece of shit. But eh it comes with Tetra Master which is a Triple Triad minigame, and it has unmodifiable loud music until you log in too, so yay? And then when you want to actually log in to the game, it takes like 40secs in loadings before you get to the last play button, because apparently it needs 10secs to display News text info.

Shit's fucked, and that's after they made it better too. So yeah XIV in comparison is a work of art and efficiency. But objectively, it's not very good either if you have issues, a lot of their automated response stuff is shit.

• 1Like

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I asked a_skeleton_03 for a #ffxiv channel and it's on the FoH Discord now. So for those of you who are on Aether wanting cross-world LS invites from me, ping me on Discord there (or /w me in game, see below) and I'll see what we can do~

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
fuck it. They win. I just started a new character on Goblin. The only thing I didn’t want to do was slog through the main quest again.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
fuck it. They win. I just started a new character on Goblin. The only thing I didn’t want to do was slog through the main quest again.
Did you call them? Issues usually get resolves pretty quick on the phone and it's not the weekend so should be joinable pretty easily. You could theorically buy a story skip potion but that's a bunch of money for nothing if you can just get your warrior back or whatever. Not too sure what's the issue.

I started a new account, was feeling like playing but felt like a waste to play my main account for now and figured I'd want a 2nd account if I want to dual log shit at some point. Grabbed just a starter edition, I'll grab the next expansion to get everything at once later and save money, just want to do 2.x stuff for now and if I want to dual log with my BLU next patch I don't need more than this either.

There's whole parts of the story I had forgotten. I didn't remember Nero was in the 2.0 MSQ, I only kinda remember him popping up during the Crystal Tower stuff. It's nice that you get access to glamour plates at 15 now, can actually look decent even when leveling, especially with the free novice armor shit, had never done that either(was planning to do it for BLU though since there's a 30%xp ring until 30). Road to 60 buff makes shit definitely better too. I did the lvl 1 sidequests to get to 5 but since then I haven't touched sidequests other than for unlocking features/content and I'm way ahead. I'll be switching to SCH once I get to 30, I figure that's the best class to dual log with, for now started GLD so I can get fast dungeon queues.

Vithe

Hardcore Casual
So I asked a_skeleton_03 for a #ffxiv channel and it's on the FoH Discord now. So for those of you who are on Aether wanting cross-world LS invites from me, ping me on Discord there (or /w me in game, see below) and I'll see what we can do~

Clicking the discord link on top of the page doesn't work. It says "server not found" anyone have the FOH discord invite link so I can get an invite to the LS?