Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yea; I literally just started today, and already had a crafter at 68 beforehand. Kind of interesting that (at least the first few) quests give zero xp for actually making the item. Thanks, Careful Synthesis II just making it trivial, if everything is on the hand in. I haven't checked to see if handing in a HQ item changes it, however. Still, quite a chunk of xp for a few clicks.

Cybsled

The class level milestone quests don't give bonus XP for HQ items. Usually the base requirement itself is a regular or HQ version of an item (it will tell you). Crafting leves, on the other hand, do give bonus XP for HQ handin. The GC daily also gives you double XP/seals for HQ handins.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah; I was just remembering that you would get xp for trying to HQ the various moogle/ehcatl quest items because they were just items, while the namasu just flat out don't give XP until handin.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Got the BLM up to 34 from 20 something today.

So now that I hit level 50+ do I reset and "start at 50" every time? I am 34/45 in arms/armor for aetherpool do I turn some in for an aethergrip? Will that gimp me hard?

I need to figure out my level 60 BLM rotation because my hotbar is full of shit and I use like 4 skills.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>

So now that I hit level 50+ do I reset and "start at 50" every time? I am 34/45 in arms/armor for aetherpool do I turn some in for an aethergrip? Will that gimp me hard?

I need to figure out my level 60 BLM rotation because my hotbar is full of shit and I use like 4 skills.

Aethergrips are just for cosmetics.

Is this your first Character? If so don't bother with palace of the dead youll level fast doing the MSQ that you have to do anyways.

Also don't worry about abilities until 70 because they completely change.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Aethergrips are just for cosmetics.

Is this your first Character? If so don't bother with palace of the dead youll level fast doing the MSQ that you have to do anyways.

Also don't worry about abilities until 70 because they completely change.
Nope it’s alts because I haven’t played in years. My main is 56 but they completely reworked bard so I am getting back into the groove playing other classes from scratch.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah; I was just remembering that you would get xp for trying to HQ the various moogle/ehcatl quest items because they were just items, while the namasu just flat out don't give XP until handin.
Pretty sure they fixed that back in HW, makes sense, if you get xp for crafting quest items, you can just drop the quest and pick it up again, leading to an infinite amount of ressources to craft with for free, so you can macro all the crafts to cap without spending any money.

Yes you chain the 51-60 part, once you finish, you just delete the save and start at 51 again, that's what most people do, you get the same xp for 51+ per clear, it just gets harder as you go up to people reset it, but it's also much better xp than pre 51. Also you get to play with all the skills(well for potd).

As for Black Mage, at 60 it plays more or less like this:
Cast Enochian. Your goal is to never drop this, although you can drop it and just recast it if it's off cd, it will clip your GCD a bit generally.

Then Fire III to get AF3, then Fire IV spam until low, then Blizzard III to get UI3, Blizzard IV to get the 3 stacks, Thunder III(II if aoe), Fire III etc. Depending on the mana tick, sometimes you have to cast Blizzard I after Thunder to get full mp? But it really depends and lines up weirdly depending on your level and shit. When between combat, spam Transpose to keep Enochian. While technically not needed at 60, it's good training for 70 when you don't want to drop it because every 30secs spent in Enochian means you can cast Foul.

Leylines as you see fit, Sharpcast is generally a bit weird to use I'm not sure what's the cases for it now, I believe it's situational, if you know you'll need an instant cast soon for a movement phase you can force it on a fire I or thunder. Convert for an additional Fire IV whenever it's up.

If there's a bunch of enemies, the aoe rotation involves Fire II and Flare but I'm not sure what it's at currently. With Blizzard IV buff you can flare multiple times though. Use Thunder II instead of III for AoE too, eventually you get Thunder IV to replace II.

IF there's a BLM guide, it should more or less apply to 60 other than Foul, which can be replaced with a Blizzard I if needed for mp filling purposes.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Last night I unlocked the Moogle quests, so I could do those on my carpenter(only crafter at 50). Damn these are 150K each for the first 3...so 450K xp, tales 1M for level 51 to 52. That's awesome xp, unlocked rank 2 but was out of Beast Tribe allowance.

I'm doing the Ixali on the class that is lowest, trying to keep them all around the same level.

Having the carpenter at 50 while the rest are 30-33 isn't not working for the daily Grand Company, as most of what the carpenter needs to make the items for the turn in require stuff that the other classes make but are too low right now. So I've been skipping most of the GC for the carpenter.

I did manage to get all my gatherers to 38-40, so they can harvest what my crafter require, avoiding the marketboard as much as possible. It also allows me to keep the number of gear set to a minimum by having them all within the same range.

Been doing a few leves on weaver, he's a but ahead of the others, 39 or 40 I think. He's having similar issue as the carpenter though with requiring stuff from others classes that they cannot make yet, less of an issue but still. I don't think I will level him anymore and keep him within range of the others.

Now that I can gather from level 40 nodes, I'm getting treasure maps. They just take a few minutes and it's kinda fun, a little change of pace from grinding gathering once a day.

Just doing daily crafting stuff, like the GC dailies, 12 Beast Tribes quest Ixali and Moogle, and the gathering dailies from GC takes about 2-3 hours and is eating almost all my playtime if I do them all.

I'm so behind on so many things, it's fun to have a game with so much stuff to do, and be able to chose what I do at any time.

I really need to start doing daily roulette so I can improve my gear and finish 4.3. No rush, but would like to finish 4.3 and 4.4 before 4.5 hits so I do it as it's current content.

Who am I kidding, I'll just be crafting still by the time 4.5 hits. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Doesn't take long to finish 4.3 and 4.4. Definitely should do it before january since 4.5 is likely to contain a bunch of spoilers so you kinda want to do that asap. I'd also consider doing it before the unanounced live letter in december, probably in a couple of weeks, if you want to watch that, again, might contain 4.4 spoilers and what not. It's not super spoilery yet, but it's getting there.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
It was my plan to finish 4.3 and 4.4 before 4.5. I didn't consider the live letter though, so I might have to prioritize that a bit more, it's not like I have a deadline for crafting other than Shadowbringers.

I just got distracted. :)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It was my plan to finish 4.3 and 4.4 before 4.5. I didn't consider the live letter though, so I might have to prioritize that a bit more, it's not like I have a deadline for crafting other than Shadowbringers.

I just got distracted. :)
Yeah when I get into crafting I generally just do that all day for weeks on end, make so much money and catch up all the shit, meld all the best gear. Then I get bored and stop crafting for a while. Gathering I find boring all the time though, only do it because it's something to do. I do like fishing every now and then, but I hate how you often need super good gear just to get a decent chance at catching some of the fishes and then it's still several layers of RNG.

Anyway was just saying, but shouldn't take long to do both stories, like an hour and a half maybe? More I guess if you have to farm gear to enter The Burn and such, but if you pop your centurio weeklies and buy some crap gear from that you're pretty close already, just need to run a few dungeons, especially first time, to get some tomes and be done, the requirements for dungeons are always pretty low. Think it's like 340 for 4.4 dungeons and centurio gear is 330 while non capped tome gear is 360, so it's pretty quick to strike a balance by buying left side centurio right side mendacity.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I hadn't really looked into what would be required to gear up. Well this is going to be easy. :)

Tome of Mandacity(Unlimited) rewards 360 items.
Tome of Genesis(450 a week) rewards 390 items.

I don't think I saw weapons though just armor and accessories, I may just have missed them. I was logging off and checked quickly.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So apparently the fastest way to level up new jobs from 1 is through command squadrons? I've unlocked up to the squadron part, but what would be the best way to go about setting my squadron up for commands (which I assume is like solo dungeon running?).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I hadn't really looked into what would be required to gear up. Well this is going to be easy. :)

Tome of Mandacity(Unlimited) rewards 360 items.
Tome of Genesis(450 a week) rewards 390 items.

I don't think I saw weapons though just armor and accessories, I may just have missed them. I was logging off and checked quickly.
There's weapons, but they use a more convoluted system. Basically to buy a weapon, you need 10 rowena tokens that you buy for 100 tomes each, there's tokens for every type of tomes so buy the right ones. Then you need a weapon thing, forgot the name but it's just another token, these drop in savage, or can be exchanged for normal 8man raid drops, crystalloids or whatever. For the mendacity one, you need to do Sigmascape v4(Kefka) 4times. For the genesis weapon, you need to do Alphascape v4(Omega) 7times. It'll be reduced to 4 in 4.55 or 4.56 I forgot. Issue with the genesis one is drops from Alphascape are weekly capped, so what that means is right now, you need to wait 7weeks before you can buy one(and also have 1000genesis tokens, so like a week and a half worth). However Sigmascape is uncapped and since it's only 4, it takes like an hour or so to get the tokens and get a 360weapon.

You can also upgrade that weapon with some items you can buy with the drops from 24man dungeons. For Sigma, you need the first and 2nd dungeon(I forgot what they're named, but whatever's available currently). For Alphhascape you'll be able to get those tokens once they add the last 24man, and as with the weapon tokens, they also drop in savage Alphascape. Upgrading can be done for all tome gear, and adds 10ilvl. It's pretty big for the weapon, less so for the rest of the gear.

Basically all the good stuff drops in savage mode but even the casual plebs can buy the things eventually via other ways.

So yeah what you want to do is, do some bounties, get centurio seals(do HW and SB bounties, they both give the same centurio seals, it's 105seals a day per so 210, with an additional 100+100 for the weeklies, you need like 800ish seals to buy a full set of 330 including the weapon, which uses the same system, you just buy all the parts I mentionned with centurio). Meanwhile run dungeons for first time bonus and whatever dungeon is the highest once you're stuck to get mendacity. If your goal is just to raise ilvl, aim for accessories/belt first, since those are the cheapest. That means your weapon will be pretty much garbage, but that's not so bad for soloing or easy content. Eventually if you want to start gearing up seriously, just focus on the weapon instead, but since it costs the most currency it's the worst investment for ilvl padding, it is however the most important piece of gear.

Honestly the whole process doesn't take long at all. Even the dungeons themselves drop good gear when you're raising ilvls, like 15ilvl higher than the minimum requirement, so you can fill up slots like that on the way.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Pyros Pyros , thanks dude that was really useful.

I'll probably just mix centurio seal 330 and mandacity for now, all I want is to complete 4.3 and 4.4. I'll look into more serious gearing up during 4.5.

I didn't know you could get equipment for centurio seals so that will help.

Once again thanks.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well thanks to Pyros Pyros great wall of text, I was able to get from 314 to 328 iLevel upon logging in since I had 508 centurio seals. Used them to get the weapon and fill the slots I had with the lowest iLevel. I was also able to get 1 Mandacity 360 item.

I need to get to 330 to unlock the Duty Roulette 70 Dungeons, and 335 to unlock Castrum Fluminis which I think is the end of 4.3.

I'm back to crafting for now, enough adventuring for one night. :)

Cybsled

So apparently the fastest way to level up new jobs from 1 is through command squadrons? I've unlocked up to the squadron part, but what would be the best way to go about setting my squadron up for commands (which I assume is like solo dungeon running?).

It is basically a solo dungeon run /w bots making up the rest of your party. Like regular dungeons, just make sure you have a tank, healer, and the rest are DPS. You take one of the roles, so if you are a healer, you pick tanks + dps, etc. The dungeons you can run are dependent on your level and your squadmembers level.

You only have a unified pet bar for controlling them, so you really don't do stuff on a per bot basis. So if you want your tank to focus on a mob, everyone is going to focus on that mob. Good thing is stuff dies really fast because it isn't like a human party where people are doing w/e the fuck they feel like lol. They didn't really change the dungeon mechanics, so I recommend picking the straight forward tank n' spank dungeons whenever that is an option.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Also make your DPS archers, all of them, they're just better than the others apparently.

I haven't tried the system at all, I will later since I want to unlock GC ranks and stuff but it's only marginally faster than potd from my understanding.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
Re: Squadron dungeons - Archer used to be busted but arcanist is very strong too now (and all of the classes are closer together). Worth noting marauder is way better than gladiator.

I think it's significantly faster than potd, especially the levels just after hitting brayflox / stone vigil. I'm using all of the +xp items (scroll/XP buff, food, ptw costume, brand new ring, ala mhigan earring), but I did 20-50 on whm in a few hours (I think this was before the archer nerf), and recently did drg 20-28 in 3 dungeons (halatali, thousand maws x2 - took about 35-45 min?)

Re: squadron generally - before the mass of custom delivery buffs squadrons were also great for scrips. That seems less relevant now but mine still brings in 1-2k mixed red a week.

Basically you send them out on timed missions, they develop chemistries that make them return with diff stuff (scrips is by far the best), and level up. At some point you unlock the ability to run a few dungeons with them, then as you do they start developing traits (offensive seems like the best, offensive 5 melts stuff).

You recruit new guys by completing challenge log entries - I found it very worth doing the easy gold saucer stuff here.

Penance Penance

-

In my adventures I finally got decent runs of 9-10-11, still trying to do well on 12d/12f clears when our group runs, and in the meantime I finally got to do HoH to 100 - bit less of a mission than PotD, but was fun nevertheless.

• 1Like

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
From what i've always heard, it's Squadrons are quickest to 50, then PotD from 50-60, then HoH from 60-70.