Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
a_skeleton_02 Von'Iggles
You can have ` or ' in your name? Time to bring back Maniac Von'King !! haha...

Always forget to update the gaming laptop when I head out of town, and I get slapped with a huge patch or download on hotel internet... would take all week to do it. I finally finished the 2.x quests, and will start into HW quests this weekend. Level 54 bard. Just doing the MSQ!

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I've been really thinking about starting this up. I have an MMO itch and WoW just can't scratch it anymore. in the last 4 months I probably resubbed using gold 3 of those months and each time i resubbed, I logged in less than 5 times.

If i jump on board, is the expansion necessary from the word go? Or should I get the base game first and see what I think first? I know some games have expansion QOL features that are only available once you purchase it.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I've been really thinking about starting this up. I have an MMO itch and WoW just can't scratch it anymore. in the last 4 months I probably resubbed using gold 3 of those months and each time i resubbed, I logged in less than 5 times.

If i jump on board, is the expansion necessary from the word go? Or should I get the base game first and see what I think first? I know some games have expansion QOL features that are only available once you purchase it.

It should be free to play to level 35.

Can't like talk or make parties but it shows you pretty much everything

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I mean, lvl 35 gameplay is pretty limited and you get there stupidly fast if on a preferred server. Still worth doing to get started though since it's free and the restrictions shouldn't matter too much.

What you can do is grab the starter edition, this goes up to 50 it's the original game. Costs 10bucks on 3rd party sites, it's still 20 on Square Enix site for whatever reason.

You'll "lose" xp once you're at 50 and still doing storyquests, but shouldn't be too much so if you don't like it it's whatever and if you do, no big deal, if you're on a Road to 60 server you'll just catch up super fast once you hit Heavensward with double xp rewards anyway. Also if you start on the preferred servers with Road to 60, you get +15free days, so 45 free days and double xp until 60 for 90days or when the server isn't preferred anymore, whichever come last. Can't transfer for 90days though, but can do cross server shit, and around march or april they should have free transfers once they reshuffle the servers in the datacenters.

Because there's so much story shit before the first expansion, having the expansions right away isn't that useful. The things you're missing are, the Dragon race(and by dragon I mean humans with scales and tails) and Palace of the Dead past lvl 40. I think that's it for the pre 50 stuff. At 50 you can unlock Samurai/Red Mage if you own Stormblood but the Heavensward classes are locked with Ishgard access which requires clearing all the ARR story stuff first so that's not super relevant.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Picked this up since it was still on sale for $30. Had some trouble getting the key since it seems they were sending ffxi keys for ffxiv purchases but I finally got a good key this afternoon. For some reason my character is on brynhildr. Don't remember how that happened. Can I still play all classes on one character? I had unlocked black mage and was leveling some other stuff. And I had multiple trade skills to ARR release max. Can I pick up where I left off once I figure everything out?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You can play everything on one char like before yeah. Alts are actually pretty annoying to make unless you want to spend money, since you have to redo the whole story and unlock every fucking thing, shit's annoying, and on top of that you have to pay for the better subs if you want more than 1 char per server(the cheaper subs gives you 1char per server and 8total). There will be some free transfers sometimes in the future when they reorganize the datacenters, although you'll need a sub then.

You can definitely just pick off where you stopped, there's a bunch of shit that tells you where you can find new shit to do, and top left there should be something telling you where the next MSQ is to keep doing the story from where you left off. You can go to an Inn to view some of the cutscenes in the past or read your completed MSQs in your journal to figure out what happened last, or just go and figure it out as you do more stuff.

I'll relink this too: Progression and Level Locked Content – Gamer Escape

Good for figuring out where to unlock shit, or what's there to unlock.

As per usual with FFXIV, your main goal should be to pick up and clear the MSQ, just follow that, it'll unlock most stuff, gives good xp, is nice and will lead you to the endgame. It also can't be skipped anyway. You can figure out side activities shit later if you get tired of the MSQ or whatever.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, since we seemingly have a lot of newcomers and returners to the game, I thought i'd post some handy stuff as well.

Garland Tools is a resource I tend to use almost every day, both as a solid database for finding information on any item/NPC/etc. in the game, as well as a multi-purpose tool that can track in-game weather, node timers for Gathering, and many, many other things. There are a bunch of different wiki pages and databases out there with info along these lines, but Garland Tools just seems to be the cleaner, easier to use option once you get used to the all the little mini windows you can open at once.

Ariyala's is another decent tool, used primarily for theorizing gear builds, melding, BiS, but it's also home to one of the most used Hunt Trackers in the game. If you are just reaching 70 and finally getting into some Hunt linkshells on your server, and are looking for another way to up your hunt game and/or learn when is the best time to scout or spawn hunts, this is the way to go. It's tracked by the community, so if you kill a Hunt or saw a Hunt die, do your part when you can and report it on the website to keep the timers as accurate as possible.

Oh and The Balance is usually a pretty solid place for job guides if you're looking for in depth explanations of abilities, rotations, stat weights, etc. Most of them are updates for 4.4 but double check your guide before you read.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I’m doing the Hildibrand quests right now, some of that stuff is hilarious. Nice change of pace. :)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Okay leveling an alt isn't as bad as I thought it would be especially not having the MSQ to help out. It's going by real quickly on my Dark Knight. I been doing POTD and leves so far and gotten him to level 46. It helps alot by breaking the monotony of running POTD over and over again. The highest level I've gotten so far is level 61 on my paladin before I quit playing long ago. So I still have alot to experience with dungeons and raids. I've forgotten alot about this game so I'm literally relearning everything over again. The dark knight story line is pretty damn cool and people are telling me the story get's much better. I'm curious how the class will play out in the expansion since it seems to be class the storyline revolves around it, the warrior of darkness.

Anyway is there an active FoH FC or not enough of us are playing the game? The FC I'm in has alot of ex WoW players in it and many has jumped ship to FFXIV since BFA.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah leveling alts is a bit grindy due to mostly spamming stuff, but it goes relatively fast. DRK storyline is great too, all 3 of them, definitely the best of the job stories overall although a couple others are also very good.

There's quite a lot of fillers in the MSQ but the parts that advance the story are pretty interesting. I'm replaying ARR atm on a new account, I'm near the end of 2.4 so almost done and while 2.1 and 2.2 were mostly complete garbage, 2.3 had a few good bits(also some garbage mixed in) and 2.4 is solid as I remembered, there's a lot less bullshit going on and it's starting to ramp up the preparations for Heavenward's story.

I'll be taking a little break until january but very excited about 4.5.

Neuad

Trakanon Raider
Have any of you guys used any sort of VPN, like WTFast or Mudfish? I'm trying to break the 90%+ mark on FFLogs for o9s, and while looking over some of my parses on xivanalysis I noticed I consistently clip, especially on double weaves. I know a VPN isn't magically going to make me meet my goal, but every little bit helps.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Have any of you guys used any sort of VPN, like WTFast or Mudfish? I'm trying to break the 90%+ mark on FFLogs for o9s, and while looking over some of my parses on xivanalysis I noticed I consistently clip, especially on double weaves. I know a VPN isn't magically going to make me meet my goal, but every little bit helps.
I've used a random VPN back when there were routing issues with Telia and I was getting a shitton of packetloss and it was great for that, but for ping the results tend to often be a lot smaller unless playing from australia or whatever.

Might be worth trying but probably won't make miracles, double weaves are pretty tight(well depends on the skills animations it seems). Since you're going for high ranking I assume you've also made sure you have the right amount of SKS for your rotation? Having too much is obviously going to make it harder to double weave.

That said, a ton of people use these gaming VPNs and I haven't really seen people say bad things about them specifically, other than sometimes you can't find a good server to connect to that's also not fucked due to routing to them being the same shit, but that happens with any VPN really. I think Mudfish is also bandwith based, so you pay virtually nothing for FFXIV since like most mmos it doesn't consume shit for bandwith which is great. On my VPN service I had, I bought 1gb for 2bucks or whatever, and I ended up only using a small amount of that over 1month of gaming until it got fixed. Bandwith VPNs are REALLY cheap for mmos. Not so much if you want to VPN torrents to hide your shit from the feds or whatever, obviously.