Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Cybsled

Oh, I was confused then. Retainer fantasias can be sold on the MB. I know you can get them from sending your retainers on missions.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Seems weird you're having issues, maybe you could try doing a few bounties to get some centurio seals and upgrade your gear to 330 if you haven't, especially the weapon. Alternatively if you have the ilvl for it, doing sigmascape V4.0 4times for the crystalloid and 1000mendacity for a 360 weapon, or HoH for a while for that, or a crafted weapon.

I actually failed that event once but that's cause I switched to my 310PLD to do it and I was just short on damage by a little bit, so I went back on my SCH who was like, 330 or something at the time with a 350 crafted weapon and it was pretty easy. Honestly it probably wouldn't take too long to get enough gear to just stomp it easily. Hell depending on your server economy you could maybe buy a 380crafted weapon for a decent price and it should be no trouble at all regardless of class. Not sure what you play, I'd say BLM would probably be the worst for this but with good enough gear you'd be able to blow up stuff fast enough it shouldn't matter.

I have 330 weapon, and I am at 344 ilevel. I tried again, failed twice more before finally beating her, and then losing while playing as Ysthola, tried again and failed first part once more.

I'm just too old for this shit of dance dance revolution. I'm actually serious, I've been noticing it in recent years, stuff that used to be easy is starting to be harder, I even started playing a few games where I needed to switch to easy...and I've never done this before.

It sucks, I was enjoying the game more than ever, had my house, raising my crafting slowly...but stuck on MSQ means I won't be able to advance. I could just grind gear for a while...but honestly, I struggle on a lot of the new encounters too, age might finally be catching up to me.

Oh well, guess it was fun while it lasted.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Okay I need to learn tanking.

I did the roulette for the first time as a tank on my Paladin and I got Aurum Vale which I don't know at all to begin with and I absolutely sucked at tanking it. Those poor people powered through it but I was so embarrassed.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I have 330 weapon, and I am at 344 ilevel. I tried again, failed twice more before finally beating her, and then losing while playing as Ysthola, tried again and failed first part once more.

I'm just too old for this shit of dance dance revolution. I'm actually serious, I've been noticing it in recent years, stuff that used to be easy is starting to be harder, I even started playing a few games where I needed to switch to easy...and I've never done this before.

It sucks, I was enjoying the game more than ever, had my house, raising my crafting slowly...but stuck on MSQ means I won't be able to advance. I could just grind gear for a while...but honestly, I struggle on a lot of the new encounters too, age might finally be catching up to me.

Dude I feel your pain. I'm 46 years old and I'm about to make 47 next year and my reflexes and reaction time is shit. That's why I no longer play FPSers or even some action games. I'm not the same as I use to be when I was in my 20's. Plus when I broke my wrist on my dominant hand 2 years ago it made it worse. I'm glad that I quit WoW and went to FFXIV especially with it's GCDs. I don't have to play actively like I did in WoW and still perform well. Hell I've been practicing on my PS4 for the controls so on my lazy days I can sit on my couch, level an alt job or level up my professions.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider

I did the roulette for the first time as a tank on my Paladin and I got Aurum Vale which I don't know at all to begin with and I absolutely sucked at tanking it. Those poor people powered through it but I was so embarrassed.
It's not that hard. Most difficult thing I found it keeping aggro. Here you go bro, check this video out.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Dude I feel your pain. I'm 46 years old and I'm about to make 47 next year and my reflexes and reaction time is shit. That's why I no longer play FPSers or even some action games. I'm not the same as I use to be when I was in my 20's. Plus when I broke my wrist on my dominant hand 2 years ago it made it worse. I'm glad that I quit WoW and went to FFXIV especially with it's GCDs. I don't have to play actively like I did in WoW and still perform well. Hell I've been practicing on my PS4 for the controls so on my lazy days I can sit on my couch, level an alt job or level up my professions.

Yeah, I'll be 50 on January 19th, time flies when you're having fun. :)

The thing is I do fine most of the time, it's when there many things happening at once that the slowing reflexes are starting to show. A lot of encounters in FF14 are starting to feel like Wildstar at times, with complex shape on the ground to avoid, sometimes 2 or 3 in a row and it adds up where I can no longer easily keep up. As I said I'm disappointed that this encounter doesn't use the echo buff, sure it sucks failing and needing the buff to win, but I can swallow my pride and enjoy progressing. On top of that, it's a fairly long encounter, I was hoping that it would restart at the Yshtola phase at least, but no you need to replay it all.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
Mid 40s now on my Warrior. Still got a good 25 days left on Free Trial before I'll need to sub. Got Summoner and Scholar unlocked so far. Might try and unlock Samurai at 50 if i can, MSQ is still down in the mid 20s. Will I level past 50 in the base game zones or do I stay at 50 till I move into Heavensward?

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Doh; you need to be hitting that MSQ man. There’s a TON of MSQ in ARR and it’s pretty tedious. I don’t think you can level past 50 until you’ve done MSQ to unlock Heavensward, whether or not you’ve bought the expansion.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Doh; you need to be hitting that MSQ man. There’s a TON of MSQ in ARR and it’s pretty tedious. I don’t think you can level past 50 until you’ve done MSQ to unlock Heavensward, whether or not you’ve bought the expansion.
You can. I was almost 60 when I finished the ARR quest line.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Ah ok, for some reason I thought you quit getting xp until you finished ARR MSQ. Situation isn’t as dire as I thought, but it’s still a slog.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>

Aurum Vale is grim as a first tanking experience honestly. There's a ton of packs that will absolutely decimate you at level 49, unless you have exceptional DPS and a decent healer. There's also a ton of roaming mobs that will just aggro you from the other side of the room. The first room in Aurum Vale is a completely noob trap too, so anyone not paying attention to positioning is going to be pulling a load of extra mobs into safe packs and making it feel really bad.

I wouldn't feel embarrassed about wiping in Aurum Vale on my first time through.

Give some of the early Heavensward (51+) dungeons a go, and I guarantee you'll find it easier.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Aurum Vale is grim as a first tanking experience honestly. There's a ton of packs that will absolutely decimate you at level 49, unless you have exceptional DPS and a decent healer. There's also a ton of roaming mobs that will just aggro you from the other side of the room. The first room in Aurum Vale is a completely noob trap too, so anyone not paying attention to positioning is going to be pulling a load of extra mobs into safe packs and making it feel really bad.

I wouldn't feel embarrassed about wiping in Aurum Vale on my first time through.

Give some of the early Heavensward (51+) dungeons a go, and I guarantee you'll find it easier.
Yeah it was the random duty finder, I didn't choose it.

So this MSQ for Stormblood is a metric fuckton of run 200 yards, click the person, hit esc to skip the cutscene and rinse/repeat. Holy shit.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Well as I said, you can outgear it. Do Sigmascape 4.0 4times(which isn't super hard, just need to get the few tricks to it) and get 1000mendacity for a 360weapon, or buy a 350crafted HQ weapon, or a 380HQ crafted one if you have more money/they're cheap enough on your server or better yet if you know a crafter buy the mats, can get a 380HQ for like 100-150k worth of mats only. This will make a huge difference. In XIV weapon ilvl is one of the most important aspect, it's a much larger boost to get 10ilvl on your weapon than to get 10ilvl on every other piece of your gear combined(minus the hp but not relevant here).

That said you do have a point that a lot of XIV stuff is pretty DDR intensive. It's not so bad if you stick to the more casual content(although this MSQ was more challenging than other stuff, but Tsukuyomi even just the normal version was rough for example). The Savage raid stuff has some crazy looking shit.

But I think if you get a better weapon you'll find it goes really easy.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
It's not that hard. Most difficult thing I found it keeping aggro. Here you go bro, check this video out.

Why the hell is that video 13 minutes long? Here's real tanking 101:

• For generating snap aggro: PLD use Flash, WAR use Overpower, DRK use Unleash. Doesn't matter if it's single target or AoE, these skills have the highest non-combo enmity multipliers.
  • You can pull mob packs with your ranged attack. (Shield Toss, Tomahawk, Unmend). Mobs do not call for help so you don't need to worry about body pulling. If you need to pull from really far away you can use Provoke, but be sure to follow it up with an attack because:
  • Provoke/Ultimatum puts you at the top of the aggro list and then gives you 1 point of enmity. This means that whenever you use it, you have to follow it up with snap aggro or you'll just lose hate again.
  • Turn mobs around so that their backs are to your allies. This will protect them from cleaves and let your allies hit their positional attacks.
That's it. That's really all you need to know about tanking.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Aurum Vale is grim as a first tanking experience honestly.
I didn't find the pulls difficult, it was the 2nd cyclops boss for me. He doesn't do a visual telegraph like the previous bosses I encountered and he 1 shotted me during one of his main attacks. That's when I learned that bosses has a cast bar and I had to go by that. I guess I never really had to pay attention to it.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Why the hell is that video 13 minutes long? Here's real tanking 101:

• For generating snap aggro: PLD use Flash, WAR use Overpower, DRK use Unleash. Doesn't matter if it's single target or AoE, these skills have the highest non-combo enmity multipliers.
  • You can pull mob packs with your ranged attack. (Shield Toss, Tomahawk, Unmend). Mobs do not call for help so you don't need to worry about body pulling. If you need to pull from really far away you can use Provoke, but be sure to follow it up with an attack because:
  • Provoke/Ultimatum puts you at the top of the aggro list and then gives you 1 point of enmity. This means that whenever you use it, you have to follow it up with snap aggro or you'll just lose hate again.
  • Turn mobs around so that their backs are to your allies. This will protect them from cleaves and let your allies hit their positional attacks.
That's it. That's really all you need to know about tanking.

I'd say that there's more subtle details like moving the mobs as little as possible so you don't lower the DPS of other Melee jobs, as well as tanking in your DPS stance as much as possible to increase kill speed, but as a general rule of thumb that's correct.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I didn't find the pulls difficult, it was the 2nd cyclops boss for me. He doesn't do a visual telegraph like the previous bosses I encountered and he 1 shotted me during one of his main attacks. That's when I learned that bosses has a cast bar and I had to go by that. I guess I never really had to pay attention to it.

The pulls are fine if people pay attention, but as soon as you have mobs aggroing your healer who's probably stretched thin as is, you need to be on the ball on the entire rooms mobs positions rather than just the pack you're dealing with.

And yeah, I hate Coin Counter. To be honest all cyclops mobs are pretty annoying.

Neuad

Trakanon Raider
Aurum Vale is the worst dungeon in the game. If I could remove a dungeon from my list, it would be that one.

• 1Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I'd say that there's more subtle details like moving the mobs as little as possible so you don't lower the DPS of other Melee jobs, as well as tanking in your DPS stance as much as possible to increase kill speed, but as a general rule of thumb that's correct.
That's one thing I never really understood about tanking in the game. It seems to emphasize so much on personal DPS why even bother having a tanking and dps stance? You use tank stance and lose a good bit of dps. Using tank stance is frowned upon by some players and not recommended in guides. Plus the incoming damage is so damn spikey in this game you may as well stay in dps stance opposed to tank one. I wish they would just get rid of tank stance all together or just rework it.

Cybsled

Aurum Vale is the worst dungeon in the game. If I could remove a dungeon from my list, it would be that one.

It would be better if they made it level 50 instead of 49. The 1 level short of getting major class abilities is a big WTF.

• 1Like