Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Cybsled

Finished the main ARR, just getting into the Post-ARR storylines now. I know it will take a bit before I hit Heavensward, so is there anything I should spend my tomestones on or should I just hoard them for now till more relevant content?

The HW equivalent for tomestone spending is locked behind opening up HW and the MSQ there. Given the amount of post-ARR storyline you have to go through pre-HW (around 100 quests, no joke), you're better off just spending your tomes on stuff that can benefit you now. You'll get enough tomes for level 60 gear by the time you get to Idylshire.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Finished the main ARR, just getting into the Post-ARR storylines now. I know it will take a bit before I hit Heavensward, so is there anything I should spend my tomestones on or should I just hoard them for now till more relevant content?
If you mean poetics, you can buy i120 Ironworks gear in Mor Dhona to help with the HW leveling. It'll only be useful to buy the similar Shire gear in Idylshire in HW to get through SB, but you'll keep getting more if you do roulettes and shit. Depends on what gear you actually have right now, it's not particularily vital on the first char though since you get a bunch of gear from quests. For alts since you don't get shit, having poetics to buy armor and weapons at 50 and 60 is good

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider

Max out your level 50 gear (Ironworks is ilvl 120 base, upgrades to ilvl 130). This will more or less carry you through to level 60, at which point you can buy Shire gear (base ilvl 260, upgrades to ilvl 270). That will basically take you to level 70.

There's no reason to grind out gear for expansion leveling. Any dungeon drops, etc. may be minor upgrades; the added armor stat for mitigation is the only noticeable gain. Save your gil and don't worry about it.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
The HW equivalent for tomestone spending is locked behind opening up HW and the MSQ there. Given the amount of post-ARR storyline you have to go through pre-HW (around 100 quests, no joke), you're better off just spending your tomes on stuff that can benefit you now. You'll get enough tomes for level 60 gear by the time you get to Idylshire.
If you mean poetics, you can buy i120 Ironworks gear in Mor Dhona to help with the HW leveling. It'll only be useful to buy the similar Shire gear in Idylshire in HW to get through SB, but you'll keep getting more if you do roulettes and shit. Depends on what gear you actually have right now, it's not particularily vital on the first char though since you get a bunch of gear from quests. For alts since you don't get shit, having poetics to buy armor and weapons at 50 and 60 is good
Max out your level 50 gear (Ironworks is ilvl 120 base, upgrades to ilvl 130). This will more or less carry you through to level 60, at which point you can buy Shire gear (base ilvl 260, upgrades to ilvl 270). That will basically take you to level 70.

There's no reason to grind out gear for expansion leveling. Any dungeon drops, etc. may be minor upgrades; the added armor stat for mitigation is the only noticeable gain. Save your gil and don't worry about it.

Yeah, I found the vendors in Mor Dhona, so I'm going to buy some armour from them to bump my ilevel up.

Took a break form questing to unlock a bunch of the hard dungeons with the sidequests. Also got a quest to do the Ultima Weapon trial, not sure how hard it is now. Looks to be complicated, but I'm guessing the damage is manageable now after 2 xpacs of content.

Is it worth picking up the Relic Weapon quest or should i save all of that for when I finish the xpacs and current content?

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Skip the relic weapons. They're strictly glamor. It's dozens upon dozens of hours of grinding (and millions of gil) for a weapon that is outdated as soon as you hit level 51.

Ultima Weapon is not worth your time. There are no rewards; you're likely to wait for an hour in the queue only to wipe for an hour because the only people who sign up for it are the newbies who don't know how to play the game and don't realize it has no reward.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Melding 101:

Strength when you can
Crit the rest of the time

If you're a tryhard and trying to be a 99% parser on savage raiding, you can optimize specific tiers and proper skillspeed windows and shit. But you can follow that template to the bank.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
And if you can't meld crit or str, generally direct hit, although if you look into it very carefully there's some direct hit tresholds and then you want det, at least judging from the BiS monk melds. Also skillspeed can be useful until specific breakpoints, for PLD that'd be so you can fit all your Holy Spirit within the Requiescat window easily and get 2 goring per Fight or Flight even if your timing isn't pefect. It's not much though.

Due to the prices of overmelding, I wouldn't go crazy on it especially since other than some accessories, it's worse than Scaevan/Omega gear. Overmelds lvl 4 or 5 materias depending on price and maybe only do 3 materias per piece instead of the full 5.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
So, I just started the Hildebrand quests.... I dunno what I got into, but my God is it some funny shit.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So, I just started the Hildebrand quests.... I dunno what I got into, but my God is it some funny shit.
Yeah if you don't mind the slapstick japanese humor, the questline has some great shit. It also helped them a lot with making different facial expressions from doing the over exagerated ones in this, after they did Hildibrand, the MSQ had them every now and then too(for example Raubahn roaring).

Main issue is the trials are deserted and supposedly take forever to pop even though they are part of the trial queues.

They have a bunch of sidequest stuff like that, the Post Moogle quests are nice enough if you're into the lore and world building stuff, they have a few quests with no minimap objectives too where you just have to figure stuff out on your own(if you don't just google it obviously).

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm still lingering in the ARR content casually levelling different jobs to see what I like and after suffering through the atrocious writing/storytelling with the rest of the stuff, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Rogue & early Ninja quests. Even the cutscenes were better by a far margin. It's making me actually look forward to the HW/SB stuff as I had assumed people were just being kind about how it supposedly had a much better story. Did they get a new localization team after release or something? Or was it just a matter of a lack of polish due to the game being redone?

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I don’t think the ARR story itself is bad. It’s definetly not great though. The main issue is that it just slogs on for so fucking long and 80% is just fast traveling between one town and then back to drybones. Then once every half hour you get to kill 3 dudes. Ad nauseam.

You just have to stop giving a shit after a while. I remember that from the first character I leveled so this time I just put on Westworld and autopiloted through it.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don’t think the ARR story itself is bad. It’s definetly not great though. The main issue is that it just slogs on for so fucking long and 80% is just fast traveling between one town and then back to drybones. Then once every half hour you get to kill 3 dudes. Ad nauseam

The story itself is acceptable enough. The problem is how it's told in both presentation and writing. The travelling stuff was bad was you mentioned, but the dialogue was atrocious and made comicbook writing look sophisticated. I've seen better villain monologues in 90's cartoons than what they came up with during the praetorium cutscenes. Contrast that with a genuinely well written story with the rog/nin quests with funny likeable characters and some nice unexpected story elements, and there's just a glaring difference. I went from groaning and literally facepalming in several places in ARR to laughing and smiling at the rog/nin stuff.