Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Grundge

Trakanon Raider
Anyone playing this on a PS4?

Got myself a PS4 pro for the holidays and been trying various games on it. The exclusive games are fun so far.

Saw this on the store for free and decided to give it a try. Game is fun but using the controller is a total headache. It's nice to play on my TV but I think I will stick to my pc on this one. Still though I wonder if anyone has successfully mastered playing with a controller.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

Got myself a PS4 pro for the holidays and been trying various games on it. The exclusive games are fun so far.

Saw this on the store for free and decided to give it a try. Game is fun but using the controller is a total headache. It's nice to play on my TV but I think I will stick to my pc on this one. Still though I wonder if anyone has successfully mastered playing with a controller.

Just FYI, there's no separation between consoles and PC. We're all playing on the same servers. I pull out my controller for some casual gathering and so on and I find that for what it is: they did an incredibly good job with the controls despite the obvious limitations. I know some people do some serious raiding with them too, so I imagine that given enough practice it gets a lot better as well.

Neuad

Trakanon Raider
New 24 man was a lot of fun. We did a drunk/blind Party Finder group, and managed to clear it with 20 mins or so left. Couple wipes per boss as we figured things out, but fun place.

Wasn't a huge fan of the new dungeon, but I got stuck healing it because of who went in with us and I'm a god awful healer.

New extreme trial is also pretty fun. It's real easy, but challenging at the same time? Seems easy for 1-2 people to really mess up depending on when they do it.

2 of my good friends, who were part of my party that cleared o12s with me, both play on controller despite being on PC. I also randomly know one of the better DRK players in the world plays on controller. It takes some getting used to, but its very easily doable. I personally couldn't get used to targeting on one, which is why I stopped trying and stuck with keyboard, but as Dom said it's nice for casual gathering and stuff.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I use controller for pretty much everything but typing, it takes some getting use too(espically if your starting out too learn rotations etc etc), but give it some time and don't forget you can move/re-map every single skill and make things more comfortable

PS. Not Impressed by Ultima fight, but the FFT throwbacks were awesome...

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider

Yeah.

The devs 100% intend controller players to be on par with keyboard and mouse.

In the US, KB&M is largely preferred but in Japan the controller (and PS4) gets a lot of use.

Targeting is a little slower, you don't get mouseover macros, and no parses/audio triggers. Otherwise controller/PS4 are great.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think Orbonne Monastery is one of their most well-executed locations for aesthetic in the game. Absolutely loved how they did the environment, music changes, bosses being voice acted (2nd stood out there for me) and also final boss's transition phase. Mechanically, it was cracking the mold only a little, but the visuals were well done.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I really liked the Ultima first phase with the callbacks to many of the previous 24man encounters with the summons stuff and the transition looks cool as fuck. The little labyrinth thing was interesting too.

It definitely was one of their better 24man dungeon overall, it's challenging but still doable with casuals for the most part(3rd boss can be a bitch though) and I loved that they tied the story to the actual main story of the game. Reminds me of Coil and how it was actually relevant, rather than being some sidestuff no one really cares about like the other 8man/24man. It even has teasers to next expansion's raid content at the end, either the 8man or 24man story most likely.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
Got through the post-ARR questline and finally reached Heavensward. Almost makes me wish I had been playing back when it was new cause the end of the ARR questline was pretty crazy there.

My warrior hit 60 just in the ARR content, so I'm leveling my Samurai with the HW MSQ. Figured it was better than letting the xp go to waste.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Got through the post-ARR questline and finally reached Heavensward. Almost makes me wish I had been playing back when it was new cause the end of the ARR questline was pretty crazy there.

My warrior hit 60 just in the ARR content, so I'm leveling my Samurai with the HW MSQ. Figured it was better than letting the xp go to waste.
Yeah, although near the end you could go back to your WAR and get some xp into 60+ so you don't run out as easily in SB(iirc had to grind a few dungeons here and there back then, nothing crazy though and as a WAR you'd get fast queues anyway).

Good you managed to get through the shittier parts, near the end of ARR is when it starts getting good and honestly it doesn't really slow down much after that, unlike ARR even the post 3.0 stuff still keeps a fair pace with the story all through the additional content.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>

I really liked the ARR storyline, but then I'm probably biased due to being massively invested in the story after playing 1.0 since 2010. It was really nice to get closure on all the threads through the Binding Coil and the ARR storyline.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I really liked the ARR storyline, but then I'm probably biased due to being massively invested in the story after playing 1.0 since 2010. It was really nice to get closure on all the threads through the Binding Coil and the ARR storyline.
Don't know if you've done it but if you're into 1.0 story stuff, you should do the SB Alchemist questline.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I think most of you skip the cutscenes, but I love the foreshadowing for 5.0 we got through the MSQ this time. Little things like

The broom losing power in Matoya's cave is pretty much foreshadowing an imminent calamity

I also really liked the revelation that the Empire was built by an Ascian.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Don't know if you've done it but if you're into 1.0 story stuff, you should do the SB Alchemist questline.

Oh really? I'm actually completely behind on my crafters but I was planning on leveling them up prior to 5.0, so I'll work on Alchemist first.

Yeah man, I loved 1.0 even though it was terrible. The whole Dalamud story was one of my favourite gaming moments ever, with it getting closer and closer each patch, until it was finally so close that each zone had this playing:

That atmosphere was absolutely amazing at the time

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think most of you skip the cutscenes, but I love the foreshadowing for 5.0 we got through the MSQ this time. Little things like

The broom losing power in Matoya's cave is pretty much foreshadowing an imminent calamity

I also really liked the revelation that the Empire was built by an Ascian.
Hmm that's not really little though,
they even reference the time Y'shtola was looking at the lack of aether in Azim Steppes from 4.4. If it died and they just moved on I think it'd have been a bit more subtle, the way it was done it was very obvious that this is an important bit.

For the alchemist, I haven't played 1.0 but I hear it's actually related. It was the best crafting story of SB regardless even without knowing the origins.

Generally the crafters have 1-2 very good questlines per expansions so I love doing them(and in SB they give a shitload of xp too and don't use actual mats so that's nice).

Cybsled

Ya, the alchemist story quests are pretty good. Culinarian in HW has the best scene, though, during the final quest for the cooking contest lol

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Does this game still have that slow-feeling GCD? I tried it some time ago and got a Ninja to 50 or so but the slower pace made me lose interest...

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
Does this game still have that slow-feeling GCD? I tried it some time ago and got a Ninja to 50 or so but the slower pace made me lose interest...

Yes, it's awful while leveling on top of mostly awful MSQ. At cap ninja is 45-50~ casts per minute though, several moments where you hit GCD oGCD oGCD GCD, etc.

The game is honestly so good when savage raiding /optimizing at cap but I don't understand how anyone sticks around for it unless they're playing with a partner or bunch of friends.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The GCD is slow yeah. This is made a lot better by having a large amount of oGCDs which makes the combat always feel pretty active, generally speaking, plus positionals. Ninjas get a lot of oGCDs to weave inbetween their 2s GCD, so it shouldn't feel too bad. There's some times where you're just hitting GCDs where it slows down, and some times where you'll have to weave 1 or 2oGCDs inbetween every attack for several seconds at a time.

Say over a minute, a Ninja is going to hit 30GCDs but also 1mug, 2jugulates, one trick attack which also requires a suiton first(3mudras+ninjutsu so 5keys total), 2 shuriken which are 2 actions each, Dream within a Dream, Duality, 2 Ninki moves(not gonna count Ten Chi Jin since this one inflates numbers but that's a 6oGCD sequence in a row fit over ~3secs) and then sometimes shadewalker/smokescreen/kassatsu. So about 16-18 more keys in that minute, pushing it to ~48key presses per minute. Which feels like a fair amount tbh, then you still have to hit your positionals so you have forced movement to mix in.

It isn't as active as other games though for sure, but it's really not bad, at max level. Leveling up though it feels a fuckton slower since a lot of option are only obtained at higher levels.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The first 30 levels are... a chore. Especially since you don't get access to the cooler classes until 50 (with HW and SB). It goes by fairly quickly and is pretty standard fare, but man the combat is rough. Also, if you are all about APM? Don't play White Mage. It is very much a cast time oriented class.