Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Done with lvling. Took longer than needed because of all the cuck boys having a 70 bitch running around killing stuff for them and the exploity motherfuckers class switching. Took about 2h I think for 40-50 which was quite slow, just aoeing mobs in the mor dhona castrum and then the la noscea castrum. I did a 4man blu party in cutter's cry until we got both spells, that helped a lot with lvling although it's kinda clunky. You get a good spammable pbaoe that also freeze(full disable for 15secs), then a donut lightning aoe that does triple potency on frozen targets, but being a donut you have to move away from shit and the aoe is huge so you pull a bunch of random crap if you're not careful. Still does a lot of damage, especially with Bristle first.

Overall it's pretty fun but too many skills in dungeons/totems I think. I guess that's a problem with ARR not having too many monsters though, I hope in HW they don't have like half the book in dungeons it kinda sucks. I mean the dungeons aren't too bad but they're not great. At 50 it seems 1000needles is still my best single target option too which is fucking shit, hope there's something better because a 6secs cast as your main boss dmg spell is the worst.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Level 50 Blue mages already. People are seriously grinding the shit out of this job.
I did grind but it's really fast tbh. Was like, 8hours total, and I spent some time grabbing skills too on the way, I hit 50 with 25skills, all the overworld skills and a couple of dungeon ones.

Some people hit 50 like 2hours in though, having someone kill shit for them. Tag a mob, have it killed, shit goes super fast that way with the way BLU gets xp. I mean you do like lvl 1 to 4 in one mob, I was getting a level every 2mins at 30ish and even at 40+ I was getting levels fairly quick, 15k xp per mob. And that's without armory bonus which apparently doesn't work for BLU, no rested, no road to 60, just food+30% earring.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
1K needle is so damn ridiculously OPed at the level you get it. Literally 1 to 2 shotting mobs with ease.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have no idea what a blue mage is, nor am I playing the game, but could someone explain the Blue Mage mechanics? It seems you have to get your skills from killing mobs? Is that something new, or specific to that class?

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Blue Mage is a job that was introduced first in Final Fantasy 5 back in 1992. Unlike leveling up and gaining abilities, like every other class, it has the unique function of learning certain signature abilities from enemies. In the setting of that game it was pretty cool, in the setting of an MMO it allows you to do ridiculous shit like stun/paralyze boss monsters. Something that no other class can do.

Accordingly, SE put a lot of limitations on the class (its capped 20 levels below everyone else, and cannot use the in game group finder to party with others automatically, for example). But it still is pretty cool in general.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I wonder how good blues will be for farming primals for mounts. Gonna try when I get mine to 50 in decent gear.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I wonder how good blues will be for farming primals for mounts. Gonna try when I get mine to 50 in decent gear.

Completely shit at it pretty much. The class is broken in a few ways, but it's not like so broken it can do crazy things. It's probably not that much better at soloing than say PLD, as far as I've seen atm. I mean PLD at 50 would be shit but like PLD skills at 70 with the self healing and such but not without the unsynced level/ilvl difference so not really good, kinda like trying to solo SB content currently. It's the only class that can kinda do multirole stuff though, you're a DPS but you can also heal pretty well(can probably duo heal all extremes that don't require Esuna for example and solo heal some of them too) and you can turn on the tank stance and tank pretty well too(while still healing, in fact it's one of the better ways to generate threat).

Also on the paralyze/stuns etc, they follow the same rules as usual. Which means they do nothing against bosses past the leveling dungeons. A few status seem to apply still, so for example you get the damage down from Bad Breath, but for example the whole freeze/lightning shit I mentionned earlier doesn't work on bosses since they can't be frozen. That means a lot of stuff is really not that good for endgame other than trash packs in dungeons, against which it's absurdly strong mind you, you can freeze for like 10secs straight then stun for 10secs, then have paralyze+slow on everything, the control you get on non immune trash is crazy, but bosses will be just "naw thx" and keep moving anyway.

Neuad

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I just hit 70 this weekend and all and that’s a decent change for BLM from what I could tell.

I will do a dummy tonight and see what my turret is. I also need to figure out the best meld, I can afford the materia just need to know what to do. I am hearing it’s just SS or Crit.

BLM stat priority is SpS to taste > Crit > Direct Hit.

Some people prefer more SpS because it gives you more wiggle room to mess up, or move, but overall substats on BLM don't really make a huge difference like they can for other classes. The theoretical DPS difference between a max crit setup and a max SpS setup is like 1% damage.

If you need any advice, or have any BLM questions, feel free to ask me. I'm by no means an expert but I know quite a bit about the class.

Edit - Also I've never seen anyone link this here before, but I'm sure it has been, but for anyone looking to get deep into a class for raiding/optimization, the Balance discord is fantastic.

Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
15dywjU.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Note that there's a lot of skills you can learn in other places, much more easily. Here's a few I found(either myself or on reddit):

• Aqua Breath/Snort: Can be obtained in the Carnivale fighting those two there, much easier to farm since it's solo and can be done in a couple of minutes. Think you still have to do the trial for 4tonze though
  • Final Sting: If the place is camped with retards, just skip it until you're 50 or so, and go unsync Qarn solo, can possibly do it at lvl but might be a bit slow. Or get someone unsynced to run it for you once you can enter Qarn. There's several bees in there that can drop it, including the ones on the boss which can be reset by wiping.
  • Plaincracker: Can be learned of most golem mobs, such as the ones in North Shroud(west of Fallgourd) or in Outter La Noscea(northwest in the ruins of Nym)
  • Bristle: Can be learne on boars in Urth's Fount too if you want to wait that long
  • Lvl 5 Petrify: Can be learned both from the mob before the last boss but also from the adds she spawn in combat. If in a BLU grp, have everyone equip suicide spells, do the fight until it spawns(get her low enough), get it low(20% or so) and it'll cast. Kill it, suicide if you didn't learn and you can try the boss again
  • Self Destruct: Can be learned in Halatali if you don't want the retardation of newbs killing bombs as they spawn. It's only a few levels higher and can be done solo if you have White Wind and maybe also Mighty Guard, bunch of bombs fairly close to the entrance.
  • Faze: Can be learned at low level in Central Than or Central Shroud at the Qiqirn camps, not super useful since the spell sucks anyway.
  • The Look: Can be learned from the Necrologos combat leve in Mor Dhona St Coinach, if the leve isn't up, pick a couple, do them and it'll rotate in.
  • The Ram/Dragon Voice: Can be learned solo from the 25th fight in the Carnival in the first phase. Alternatively can do Relic trial Chimera at 50.
  • Tail Screw: Can be learned on SB scorpion mobs in The Peaks right next to Ala whatever(north town). Need a 70 to kill it for you obviously but much faster than running a dungeon

Supposedly all the EX primal skills can also be learned in hard and some possibly in normal although I don't have solid confirmations on these and haven't gotten any of them yet.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Completely shit at it pretty much. The class is broken in a few ways, but it's not like so broken it can do crazy things. It's probably not that much better at soloing than say PLD, as far as I've seen atm. I mean PLD at 50 would be shit but like PLD skills at 70 with the self healing and such but not without the unsynced level/ilvl difference so not really good, kinda like trying to solo SB content currently. It's the only class that can kinda do multirole stuff though, you're a DPS but you can also heal pretty well(can probably duo heal all extremes that don't require Esuna for example and solo heal some of them too) and you can turn on the tank stance and tank pretty well too(while still healing, in fact it's one of the better ways to generate threat).

Also on the paralyze/stuns etc, they follow the same rules as usual. Which means they do nothing against bosses past the leveling dungeons. A few status seem to apply still, so for example you get the damage down from Bad Breath, but for example the whole freeze/lightning shit I mentionned earlier doesn't work on bosses since they can't be frozen. That means a lot of stuff is really not that good for endgame other than trash packs in dungeons, against which it's absurdly strong mind you, you can freeze for like 10secs straight then stun for 10secs, then have paralyze+slow on everything, the control you get on non immune trash is crazy, but bosses will be just "naw thx" and keep moving anyway.
This is disappointing. I was under the impression this was the solo old world content job to go to. If you can't solo old world content easily or do duty finder or raids what's the purpose for the job?

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is disappointing. I was under the impression this was the solo old world content job to go to. If you can't solo old world content easily or do duty finder or raids what's the purpose for the job?
Tail Screw let me solo Turn II to pick up High Voltage, at least!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Tail Screw let me solo Turn II to pick up High Voltage, at least!
Ah I only tried turn 1 and it didn't work so I did a grp thing. Only took like 5runs anyway so no big deal I guess.

Point of the class is more like a minigame kinda thing. You have some leveling with a unique class with unique conditions like paralyze and stun/freeze, then you have some collecting to do running old ass content that doesn't feel too repetitive because it's old as fuck so you haven't been there in years and you have the Carnivale thing with a bit of puzzles to solve to beat them(which hopefully they'll improve on over time). Think of it as an alternative to Gold Saucer kind of.

They originally stated it'd be good for soloing but honestly it's not much better unless shit's susceptible to instant death spells, which is not everything for whatever reason. Like when a boss can be killed by them, it's hilarious, we were doing 8mins wanderer's palace runs with 4BLUs which is fast as fuck because 2 of the bosses can be missiled down so they're sub 10secs fights and the trash can be aoed in seconds too, only the last boss sucks. But for other stuff it's not really any better, and probably worse in some cases.

Like 8man trials are probably worse with 8BLUs than with a normal party.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ah I only tried turn 1 and it didn't work so I did a grp thing. Only took like 5runs anyway so no big deal I guess.

Point of the class is more like a minigame kinda thing. You have some leveling with a unique class with unique conditions like paralyze and stun/freeze, then you have some collecting to do running old ass content that doesn't feel too repetitive because it's old as fuck so you haven't been there in years and you have the Carnivale thing with a bit of puzzles to solve to beat them(which hopefully they'll improve on over time). Think of it as an alternative to Gold Saucer kind of.

They originally stated it'd be good for soloing but honestly it's not much better unless shit's susceptible to instant death spells, which is not everything for whatever reason. Like when a boss can be killed by them, it's hilarious, we were doing 8mins wanderer's palace runs with 4BLUs which is fast as fuck because 2 of the bosses can be missiled down so they're sub 10secs fights and the trash can be aoed in seconds too, only the last boss sucks. But for other stuff it's not really any better, and probably worse in some cases.

Like 8man trials are probably worse with 8BLUs than with a normal party.
We're in agreement about the 8BLU party shenanigans. BLU is terrible for tank busters, partly because Diamondback is not an instant cast spell, for one, and there are some effects (Tonberry King's Grudge attack, for one) that will pierce through its 90% mitigation. I discovered just how bad when trying a 4-BLU party in Stone Vigil (Hard) and not only could the others not handle the adds being away from the boss (...), but the tank buster attack did about 3x the damage to a BLU than it did to my sync'd PLD without a tank cooldown.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
We're in agreement about the 8BLU party shenanigans. BLU is terrible for tank busters, partly because Diamondback is not an instant cast spell, for one, and there are some effects (Tonberry King's Grudge attack, for one) that will pierce through its 90% mitigation. I discovered just how bad when trying a 4-BLU party in Stone Vigil (Hard) and not only could the others not handle the adds being away from the boss (...), but the tank buster attack did about 3x the damage to a BLU than it did to my sync'd PLD without a tank cooldown.
On the flipside BLU is amazing for the turtle boss, since you can Tail Srew/Doom/Missile it down in like 3secs after it casts Diamondback. I'm not sure how or why they decided to make these inconsistent. I can get trials not being vulnerable but I feel all normal dungeons bosses should be instant killable if you land the spells.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't know if it's me or what but I remember WoW never ran so well on high settings like FFXIV does. I find the graphics better and the game has a shit ton of particle effects. I never get any slow down but with WoW I get serious frame rate drops and slow down.

Nope, I noticed this too immediately upon returning to BFA. WoW has serious problems for me on max, yet I can run any other DX12 game just fine on high.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It takes up about 75-85% GPU on my 1080ti at 4k max (cept for one lower setting on hbao) and the interesting thing about it is that it's pretty much that much usage at all times. The load doesn't increase in raids or certain areas, whereas WoW is very inconsistent in its GPU usage depending on area/players/situation. The only time I've seen FF14 jump in usage is when I'm in a very heavily populated area such as the group waiting around for the BLU quest.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah hunts/eureka/new content will generally increase load but not a whole lot. Rest is kinda whatever.