Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't know the Yoko Taro and Yosuke Saito interview was pretty funny too.
Oh it was, don't get me wrong, but I thought the Troll modifier from Viangaa was slightly higher, edging it out of first place.

Lore wise, from the teaser:
I can't decide if it's Time Compression, Rejoining the First to the Source, both, or neither. If we aren't directly going to the First, then we're presumably looking at a Rejoining. The fact that the balance on the Source is tipping strongly towards Light makes me think Minfilia found a way to salvage what remains from the First, but doing so causes the Source to go super wonky that we have to change to the Bringer of Darkness to compensate and not trigger the Flood of Light.

It's really vexing, trying to figure that out.

On the Matoya matter, I feel like Y'shtola is more likely to inherit the name rather than it actually being Grandma Sourpuss herself in another body, but I could easily be wrong here.

Cybsled

March is when the final big patch before the xpac hits, so I doubt the timing is coincidental

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
One concern with Gunbreaker that it sounds like it may play like a Drk, very spammy. Yoshi said the job will use ammo to augment abilities so that sounds like the Drk's Dark Arts spam. We'll see in the upcoming months.

That's the pessimistic view.

I'm choosing to be optimistic – they found a way to fix Dark Knight as they made a whole new class from the ground up and they'll both share the build & spend resource bit that PLD and WAR lack. By pruning TP and re-doing the job gauges, they can implement a lot without introducing complexity.

I think we'll see PLD and WAR as very consistent ~1-minute static rotations, whereas GUN & DRK will have some more complexity in their kits.

Whatever. I'm hyped AF to play it. There's no way Gunbreaker and Dark Knight will both suck in the expansion. Goodbye Paladin, it was fun for 4.x.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Any word on what they're doing for new abilities for jobs? Pal and a couple others already go over 3 hotbars, I can't imagine what sort of chaos it would be with another 3-5 abilities. Do tanks really need 10+ def cooldowns?

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Old shit will be consolidated, just as they've always done, to make room for new stuff and we'll end just where we started.

Controller users are basically capped on the number of buttons available.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Ya, they already confirmed there will be an ability prune/consolidation.

• 1Like

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any word on what they're doing for new abilities for jobs? Pal and a couple others already go over 3 hotbars, I can't imagine what sort of chaos it would be with another 3-5 abilities. Do tanks really need 10+ def cooldowns?
They said in the Keynote they're going to do a passover and purge, but we won't find out until probably late May, assuming they follow similar scheduling for Stormblood's 4hr battle system review + misc. (IIRC, it was 3h on the battle system alone, and I wasn't bored for a single minute.)

(I have a spreadsheet all ready to go for the 5.0 job changes; just need media events to occur.) =p

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Dont see a purpose for a 4 player mount unless you helping or charging people to get aether points quickly. I agree the transformation is awesome.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Dont see a purpose for a 4 player mount unless you helping or charging people to get aether points quickly. I agree the transformation is awesome.
Eureka, although it's kinda late for that. If the reworked Diadem shit they're planning uses similar Eureka leveling system or whatever though it'd be useful. Otherwise it's mostly glamour and what not. There's some fringe cases where you're running people through aether currents and say they're a couple leveling together, you could run both of them at the same time instead of having to do some back and forth.

Ultimately, there's not too much point in 2seaters either. It would be weird to add the car and not let people ride it though, so it kinda makes sense.

Disapointed there was no next class hint in the LL. Kinda expected it.

As a side note, finished ARR fishing log entirely. Took about a week to do all the big fishes, a fairly intensive week. Now I check the HW/SB stuff and I see some fishes are 0.4% uptime, shit spawns in 3days then won't spawn for another 7days after that. Fucking fishing man.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Going to get back into this and need peeps to play with. There a go to server that forum bros are playing on?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I wonder if they'll change the whale to 4seater, since it looks like there'd be enough room for 4 people on that big ass mount.

• 1Like

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I honestly thought that was their whole plan when it was first unveiled. I was shocked when it was just a two-seater.