Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
i apparently opted in to the Realm Reborn beta, although I don't recall ever installing it on my computer. Guess it's lucky that nothing else is tied to that squeenix account.

So is there a server where everyone/most everyone is located on? Do servers even matter anymore?

Servers absolutely matter, which is sad in 2019.

Right now NA servers exist on two Data Centers. In the next few months, North America will be further fractured in to three Data Centers. You can't interact with anyone on another Data Center.

Across servers within your Data Center, you can do instanced content (e.g., raids, group dungeons, etc.). In the next few months, they're adding a "World Visit" feature where you can, you know, visit another server.

They'll also be doing free transfers when that shit goes into effect. In which case who cares and just join someplace that has preferred status for the free exp boost and buncha gil they give you for starting out.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The server situation has many drawbacks but I gotta say that I love constantly running into the same people out in the world. It actually feels like a community and not just a chaotic random assortment of people I'll never see again like in WoW.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I'll second Dom's opinion on the AST. The card mechanic is great, it's like a mini-game within the healing role. Also being able to do Diurnal and Nocturnal sects based on which you prefer or what the fight calls for is awesome. I haven't played either of the other healing jobs, so I can't compare AST to how the others feel or play. AST is a ton of fun to play though!

WHM is Babby's First Final Fantasy Healer. You pick it when you are trying to run progression and need pure healing throughput, otherwise Diurnal AST basically does the same thing in a more fun and stylish manner with slightly worse MP management, lower personal DPS, and fewer options for sustained high incoming group damage.

SCH is a dot DPS with a pet masquerading as a healer. They also have the second-biggest inferiority complexes in the game behind Warriors and will scream bloody murder to the devs any time they are less than hideously OP or fall out of raid meta.

Last edited:

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
The server situation has many drawbacks but I gotta say that I love constantly running into the same people out in the world. It actually feels like a community and not just a chaotic random assortment of people I'll never see again like in WoW.

There's a good case to be made for everything except Data Centers. NA raiding should not be split between two, or soon three, server clusters.

Cross-realm exists. Being able to only cross-realm with some 40% of North American players is silly in 2019. Especially since all the Data Centers are in California – you don't select an East Coast Data Center for better ping, they're all in a fucking server farm on the same racks ten inches away from each other.

lame, already started on Gigglemash.

You're probably level 10 or whatever. Just reroll. Or don't.

Gilgamesh is great unless you want housing. Only regret about lapsing my sub is losing my damn house.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I want the CE physical before they sell out? Dont care about the digital. I can get that anytime and they never sell out.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I logged in last night for the first time since release. It was nice being in a world that isn't WoW. My Black Mage is level 38 so I'm just going to finish off the main quest line till level 50 and go from there.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The game really picks up once you hit Heavensward stuff. Stick with it if you find the ARR/ARR-Epilogue hard to stomach

• 1Like

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
FYI for you newcomers, SE is pretty chill on the pre-orders, as is doesn't charge you until it ships, ie June.

What this also means though in cases like this, where they offer past expansions as part of the new expansion bundle, you WILL NOT be able to access Heavensward/Stormblood until June if you get it as part of the Shadowbringers expansion purchase. So if you're planning on getting to HW/SB prior to June, just go ahead and find a deal elsewhere and buy it for the cheap.

WoW nerds on reddit are trying to riot over this shit, but if you think for one minute about how they don't charge you until the product ships, you can see how easy it would be to shit the system on this one (hi, pre-order, free 2 expansions, cancel pre-order). This is why they don't do it. And partly because they want to dodge the clusterfuck of the website crashing, people getting charged multiple times for pre-orders, and having to clean up the mess thereafter (hi, BFA).

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
For anyone just starting I highly advise the exp. bonus servers. I'm restarting on a new account and decided to go through the story again while skipping through dialogue; I'm level 38 and my MSQ level has not caught up to my character level as i'm just finishing Haukke Manor part of the story. When I initially leveled through the base MSQ before the ninja job patch I recall having to do leves/dungeons to catch my level up to the next MSQ; rinse repeat. With the exp. bonus so far i've just been doing the MSQ one right after another.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
WoW nerds on reddit are trying to riot over this shit, but if you think for one minute about how they don't charge you until the product ships, you can see how easy it would be to shit the system on this one (hi, pre-order, free 2 expansions, cancel pre-order). This is why they don't do it. And partly because they want to dodge the clusterfuck of the website crashing, people getting charged multiple times for pre-orders, and having to clean up the mess thereafter (hi, BFA).

WoW nerds kek. If you pre-ordered BfA you didn't get Legion for free.

Same story. Pre-order BfA, get Legion when it launches.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
WoW nerds kek. If you pre-ordered BfA you didn't get Legion for free.

Same story. Pre-order BfA, get Legion when it launches.

Not exactly. See, it didn't matter in WoW - by the time of the BFA pre-order they had already made all previous expansions, including Legion, free with a $14.99 sub cost. You didn't even have to buy Legion anymore. If they actually sold BFA with the tagline of getting a free copy of Legion with it...well, on second thought, that sounds like just the thing Blizzard would do.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Not exactly. See, it didn't matter in WoW - by the time of the BFA pre-order they had already made all previous expansions, including Legion, free with a $14.99 sub cost. You didn't even have to buy Legion anymore. If they actually sold BFA with the tagline of getting a free copy of Legion with it...well, on second thought, that sounds like just the thing Blizzard would do.

They were giving away Legion for free while it was still the current expansion?

The mighty Blizzard has fallen.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
They were giving away Legion for free while it was still the current expansion?

The mighty Blizzard has fallen.
They did that for the 8.0 update and have for some of their past expansions; Legion became free for the 2-4 weeks before BFA launched. I forget the exact amount of time.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You're right, it is apples and oranges, but you were the one who originally made the comparison. :p

I simply said it was WoW nerds doing the raging about it because those of who've been through the FFXIV expansions know this is how it's always worked. That and it's easy to blame idiocy on our recent immigrants.