Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Xerge

<Donor>
Haven't really tried this but you can generally do the same thing by just launching the game via Steam and using Steam controller config to create macros or different layouts or whatever. I'm not sure how you're removing stuff though, you still have to press buttons for them, and since they're uncommon buttons, you wouldn't want them on an easy combo, is it just using combos with buttons that can't be rebinded like start/select/sticks? I found if you make a sheathed/unsheathed bar toggle though in the game it's not really an issue, sheathe has all the crap you can't use in combat like mounts and teleport and class changes and unsheath is the normal combat stuff. Seems to work well enough, although I haven't played with a pad too much other than gathering.

FFXIV allows input from both keyboard and controller at the same time with direct chat turned off. I'm not too sure how powerful steam controller configs are; steam didn't come up in my search to fully utilize the xbox elite controller. So far I have abilities like teleport, return, mount, sprint, role stun, and couple others immediately accessible but not on my crosshotbar. All you do is add the abilities to a regular hotbar and match the hotkeys to your layout/config; 5,6,7,8 = paddles 1,2,3,4 for example. The app even lets you rebind the xbox home button to whatthefuckever. My xbox home button is bound to single press for mount, double tap for teleports, and on hold for return.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hmm, just thinking in my own head here, but for those of you in this thread who originally (or still have) a problem with the GCD/slow combat in this game - are you controller users by chance?

What I mean is, based on my personal experience probably every other game i've played that either required a controller or I chose to use a controller, I was easily inputting commands either more often, or faster than FFXIV would require. Could the mind's preconceived notion of "how fast/much the controller should be used" effect someone's judgement on the speed of the game? Like, if i'm used to hitting buttons like a mad man on a controller and I switch to playing FFXIV with one, I mean hell yeah it's gonna feel slow and unbearable probably compared to what i'm used to when using a controller.

I never had a problem with the speed of FFXIV's combat, but then again i've always used a kb/mouse in this game other than trying the controller out a handful of times over the years. I'm not trying to start an argument about whether or not FFXIV has slower combat, because compared to most MMO's out there you can easily say it does, i'm just high and thinking about shit.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
For those that care. Took me awhile to find out how to get this particular theme for ACT set up.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Hmm, just thinking in my own head here, but for those of you in this thread who originally (or still have) a problem with the GCD/slow combat in this game - are you controller users by chance?

What I mean is, based on my personal experience probably every other game i've played that either required a controller or I chose to use a controller, I was easily inputting commands either more often, or faster than FFXIV would require. Could the mind's preconceived notion of "how fast/much the controller should be used" effect someone's judgement on the speed of the game? Like, if i'm used to hitting buttons like a mad man on a controller and I switch to playing FFXIV with one, I mean hell yeah it's gonna feel slow and unbearable probably compared to what i'm used to when using a controller.

I never had a problem with the speed of FFXIV's combat, but then again i've always used a kb/mouse in this game other than trying the controller out a handful of times over the years. I'm not trying to start an argument about whether or not FFXIV has slower combat, because compared to most MMO's out there you can easily say it does, i'm just high and thinking about shit.

The complaints about the gcd comes from it being a full second+ longer than wow's and the early game having nothing to do in the wait period after you've used an ability. Wow's is short enough that spamming the key in between feels like you're working around latency, whereas in 14 it feels like you're working against the game design unless you have an ogcd to press.

Early game = half your time is spent waiting to be able to press something.
Late game = trying to cram ogcd's in against what your ping allows.

Wow early and late game: you can be pressing something at all times and it never feels wrong. Excessive at most, but never wrong. It also feels more accepting of random filler movement than 14 does, so you can fill your time jiggling around as well.

Not really sure what your experience with controllers is like but they're easily half the APM that a keyboard can manage for me just going by pressing one key/button repeatedly. Switching to one for laid back 14 playing actually puts me in a situation where I can't switch to a different controller hotbar fast enough to keep up with gameplay.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well yeah, I know where the main idea of the combat feeling slower comes from, I was just hypothesizing if using a controller could make the slowness seem even more WORSE than it already is.

Oh and yeah I agree about the late game part with the controller; that's why I really couldn't get used to it ever - all that needed fast hotbar switching felt so clunky in my hands. I was more or less talking about for people who are just starting, because the thought of playing, like a level 10 Gladiator with a controller, given how slow I know it felt with a keyboard....ugh, I mean no wonder someone would look at that and consider the combat slow as shit.

I mean even as a kb/mouse user, I can still feel it myself from time to time. If I spend all day playing some FPS game, then log on FFXIV immediately after, part of me gets bored really fucking quick with even the late game speed of it compared to what i'm used to at the given moment, ya know?

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I see what you mean now. Yeah, I could see early game with a controller feeling even more slow as you don't need to switch bars at all, and you're in a relaxed position compared to mouse and keyboard. Once you need to use more than LT/RT & XYBA though shit starts to feel like you're juggling things and the combat feels too fast, at least until you get used to it (I don't use it enough to get past the overwhelming phase)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Offensive expression
"Offensive expression" means an expression in general that inflicts emotional distress by being offensive to another person. Offensive expression may include:

・Aggressive expressions such as violent language/slander/insult/threat.
・Expressions that provoke or belittle another person, such as excessive criticism, negation/ridicule
・Expressions that significantly lack consideration for another person
Expressions that unilaterally reject another person's opinion
Expressions that any reasonable person would find offensive
Expressions that compel a playing style
・Expressions that attempt to unilaterally exclude someone from the game or content/community, etc.
(Except when in accordance with rules set by an administrator such as a Free Company Master)
Expressions that contravene public order and morals
Other expressions that are offensive to another person

So... just don't talk to anyone about anything and you'll be fine.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well it's always been pretty protective anyway and the new guidelines just give GMs the power to ban for saying stuff that is kinda bad but not technically racial slurs or whatever. That said I don't really speak much with people to begin with in the game, and rarely in a confrontational way, so shit doesn't really affect me. If people suck I'll just sigh to myself and/or leave, telling them they suck basically accomplishes nothing. Anyone who wants to not suck can do so very easily, people who suck do because they don't care that they suck in the first place.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
My main concern about it is that the shockingly overly-sensitive healers that you suggest should be doing some dps just report you over it and they'll be perfectly within their rights to do so under the new TOS. It's literally against the TOS to criticize the way people are playing. Someone could choose to just auto-attack and saying anything to them about it would be reportable. A healer could do absolutely no healing and saying anything about it could be construed as compelling playstyle.

This game is full of some very snowflake mentality players that get upset when confronted with contained admonishments. You'd be gambling everytime you said anything at all. While some good moderation in the community is needed to avoid the stupid amounts of toxicity that occur in games like WoW et al... are we to trust some poorly paid CSR's to actually have a clue about what is and what isn't constructive criticism? (I've worked in the field for over a decade, and I can tell you that you really shouldn't)

Sure, the obvious (and now only) answer is to just shrug and walk away from the run/group, but then you've just wasted the time up to that point because of the shitty behavior of a player that you have zero recourse towards, including your ability to criticize. This is absurd in a team-based multiplayer game.

I'm just going to keep on going as I am and it shouldn't be an issue outside of some excessively sensitive people as the community on my data center is pretty relaxed, but if even that becomes an issue and I get suspended for telling the healer that the run would go significantly faster if they did some dps, then I'll just fuck off to another game.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think they'll be inundated with so many complaints, at least initially, that most of this shit is gonna get swept under the rug. You know how sensitive some of the more casual players are on this game.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So simple question. Been having a slight mmo itch...is this game’s storyline casually accesssible or will I need a 25 man raid of poopsockers to fight the games sephiroth and get a satisfactory story end?

I’d be up for dungeoning. Just not looking to raid on a schedule. Probably Paladin or Dark knight job as a focus...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So simple question. Been having a slight mmo itch...is this game’s storyline casually accesssible or will I need a 25 man raid of poopsockers to fight the games sephiroth and get a satisfactory story end?

I’d be up for dungeoning. Just not looking to raid on a schedule. Probably Paladin or Dark knight job as a focus...
All the story stuff is casual. The least casual part would be the original Coil of Bahamut raids, but since they're old you can just stomp them at 70 and while a couple have mechanics that will cause wipe, it's really just like "do the one thing at least semi competently to clear" now. The difficult stuff isn't tied to story at all, they have casual and "hard" version of content.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Argarth

On the verandah
The complaints about the gcd comes from it being a full second+ longer than wow's and the early game having nothing to do in the wait period after you've used an ability. Wow's is short enough that spamming the key in between feels like you're working around latency, whereas in 14 it feels like you're working against the game design unless you have an ogcd to press.

Early game = half your time is spent waiting to be able to press something.
Late game = trying to cram ogcd's in against what your ping allows.

Wow early and late game: you can be pressing something at all times and it never feels wrong. Excessive at most, but never wrong. It also feels more accepting of random filler movement than 14 does, so you can fill your time jiggling around as well.

I think you are really onto something here, in particular the parts I underlined.

I let my latest run at FFXIV lapse some time ago, just wasn't feeling the combat (yet again). I had level skipped this time, so I had a 60 War, 50 Sam, and 50 RM to play around with, but still the same old annoyances reared their ugly heads; feeling "trapped" in animations, disconnected from the action, yada, yada, it's all been said before.

This time, (no WoW sub either) I took my level 20 Priest out to Elwynn Forest to kill some Bandits and the like. Not having touched the game for so long, I thought it might be interesting. To my surprise I was still at it 40 minutes later, having a great old time, jumping and skipping around nuking mobs. I'd even wandered off further into the forest looking for fresh meat, all of it pointless in the end of course, but I'd completely forgotten about that by then.

I think your statement "you can be pressing something at all times and it never feels wrong" really captures it for me. I just got lost in the pure enjoyment of the combat again, because it always feels so right to be doing it.

I tip my hat to those early designers who laid the foundations for WoW's combat, they really were geniuses at work.

Cybsled

Regarding Sam, you need to get it to at least 60 to start feeling better. Once you hit that, you get the Kenki bar resource and eventually a bunch of moves that act as filler attacks that aren't subject to the GCD/can cancel animations, as well as mobility enhancements.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
My main concern about it is that the shockingly overly-sensitive healers that you suggest should be doing some dps just report you over it and they'll be perfectly within their rights to do so under the new TOS. It's literally against the TOS to criticize the way people are playing. Someone could choose to just auto-attack and saying anything to them about it would be reportable. A healer could do absolutely no healing and saying anything about it could be construed as compelling playstyle.

This game is full of some very snowflake mentality players that get upset when confronted with contained admonishments. You'd be gambling everytime you said anything at all. While some good moderation in the community is needed to avoid the stupid amounts of toxicity that occur in games like WoW et al... are we to trust some poorly paid CSR's to actually have a clue about what is and what isn't constructive criticism? (I've worked in the field for over a decade, and I can tell you that you really shouldn't)

Sure, the obvious (and now only) answer is to just shrug and walk away from the run/group, but then you've just wasted the time up to that point because of the shitty behavior of a player that you have zero recourse towards, including your ability to criticize. This is absurd in a team-based multiplayer game.

I'm just going to keep on going as I am and it shouldn't be an issue outside of some excessively sensitive people as the community on my data center is pretty relaxed, but if even that becomes an issue and I get suspended for telling the healer that the run would go significantly faster if they did some dps, then I'll just fuck off to another game.
I guess they are getting prepared for the huge influx of WoW players with their elitist, toxic, moar dots, your dps sux attitude. Some of it I dont agree with it. Their policy is pretty much zero tolerance.

Cybsled

Rules: don’t be a cockbAg
Players: OMFG! I’m going to be banned for trying to offer advice?!!!

Typical knee jerk shit from players, half of which I am guessing are toxic anyways who tell 12 year olds to drink bleach when their dps sucks.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think your statement "you can be pressing something at all times and it never feels wrong" really captures it for me. I just got lost in the pure enjoyment of the combat again, because it always feels so right to be doing it.

I mean if you wanna look at it like that, sure whatever floats your boat. The simple answer though as to why WoW combat feels that way is obvious though: they have a ton more instant cast spells, and they don't have 3-button sequenced combos like most of the jobs on FFXIV do. That alone is going to make the combat in WoW feel way less limited as far as movement and freedom to cast whatever you want, respectively.

Genius? Maybe. I see it as every other MMO at the time when WoW came out originally was dealing with either spells having a long casting time, or a fundamental lack of combat abilities. WoW's approach was a steer in the opposite direction, which was certainly done to appeal to the masses. It worked like a charm, but I'd call it more the natural progression of things than genius.