Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Nola

Trakanon Raider
WHM dps is stupid good right now. Single target turret mode I am hitting 7200-7400 with titania cane and mostly AF armor no melds.
How's the healing with them after the changes? I have a 70 WHM and thinking about leveling it.

Last edited:

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
How's the healing on them after the changes? I have a 70 WHM and thinking about leveling it.

Great! Solace and rapture are amazing for weaving OGCDs. Misery is a way to lose a small amount of single target dps, but get three heals in.

The stand out I did not expect is plenary. I did not realize it lasts for multiple casts and that is a game changer, especially combined with rapture. Also, for duo tank busters (titania fae light) it makes Cure 3 into a higher potency Cure 2.

Cybsled

Damn you guys hyping the expansion like the next coming of sliced bread. If only there wasn't like a billion hours of MSQ to catch up with first. :(

If you care about story, don't skip. You lose so much context. Part of the impact in ShB is knowing the story of the past 3 expansions. If you skip all of that, you lose a lot of the impact. That being said, the story is a fairly decent "stand alone" in some respects, but character relationships/ongoing plots play a huge role.

I must not be paying attention and/or just being a noob. But what maps? I havent had enough time to play to get to that point.

Maps = Treasure Maps. Basically, you open one up and it gives you a sketch of a section of a particular zone with an X on it. You have to figure out what section of the zone map the map fragment is referring to. When you dig for treasure at the X, it will spawn mobs. Kill the mobs and you get treasure (usually crafting materials and crystals/clusters, but also minions/housing items sometimes). There are 2 kind of maps: "max level" and non-max level. Non-max level you can usually solo and get all the treasure for yourself. For HW and SB, max level maps had a chance to spawn a portal to a treasure dungeon (which require a group). The treasure dungeons typically have a chance to drop extremely valuable items used for crafting high end items (usually rare glamours, but the individual crafting components can sometimes command millions just for a single piece when it is freshly released). Also lots of materials/clusters/rare minions/HQ crafting materials. And gil. In SB, completing one of the treasure dungeons fully would give everyone in the party 1 million gil. There was a lot of luck involved, though. Most of the treasure dungeons were comprised of floors. After beating the mobs on a floor, the person who owned the map would have to pick a door. Pick the right door, and you go to the next floor. Pick the wrong door, and you get kicked out of the dungeon. At the end of SB, they released a roulette wheel design where it would randomly spin and land on spaces (with some spaces resulting in you getting kicked out).

They're pretty fun to run and extremely lucrative when they just come out. 80 gathers can usually farm the map (1 per cooldown, which is like 18-20 hrs per harvest) and Khloe's wondrous tails can also give them as a prize.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Damn you guys hyping the expansion like the next coming of sliced bread. If only there wasn't like a billion hours of MSQ to catch up with first. :(

Don't skip the MSQ.

It's not a western RPG where you have a sandbox and the main narrative is an optional path that runs through it. The Main Quest __IS__ FFXIV. If you find it bores you or too weeb for you or turns you off, just bear in mind that not only is all the content gated behind that linear narrative, like all final fantasy games, the main story IS the core value proposition and it's all the sandbox stuff that's optional.

Besides, as far as the newest expansion goes, there's really not much of an endgame at all since Eden, the first raid, isn't coming live for another couple weeks (15th) and that'll be the faceroll normal version, the first real raid experience won't be till savage comes out at the end of the month.

• 2Like

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah I don't plan on paying to unlock the MSQ. What a terrible probelm to have. Too much content! I'll catch up sooner or later.

Edit: I'm solo on Coeurl atm. There an unofficial FoH server/shard? Not going to pay for a MSQ unlock but I wouldn't mind paying for a server transfer to be around competent people. Lol

• 2Like

misery

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Coming from someone who isn't usually into anime stuff I will say the story is something I'm glad that I experienced. I'm not done with the ShB story yet, but I'll just say I'm glad I didn't skip this expansion. In the last few levels it has gone from the expansion I had the least expectations for to probably my favorite expansion by a large margin. I was expecting the story to be a convoluted mess, but so far I am really impressed with what the creators have done.

Cybsled

Ya, the story in ShB is excellent. It starts off a little familiar, but quickly ramps up. I'm just about at the end (need to finish the 80 dungeon), but the lore bombs/story elements that have been revealed/hinted at are mind blown level.

Cybsled

2nd response made me lol (Dwarf greets you with Lali Ho!)

ffxiv_07022019_153921_711.png

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
I always pick the troll responses in this game, best one so far was the "Uh... kupo?" response to one scene and all the reaction you get from your party and the people around you for picking the joke answer.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Not sure if all the healer and tanks are on vacation or what but goddamn are these DPS queues shit for endgame. I guess too many ppl lvling alts and shit. I queued for expert on my DNC earlier, 11PM so not prime time but not horrible and I got a 46mins queue before it popped.

Btw from reddit which was from The Balance, some neat leveling macros, 1 button only and HQ everything, stats aren't even that bad if you had crafting gear before(remember you can buy food from vendors for easy stats if needed): The Balance crafting macros shadowbringers leveling

Works well enough, I didn't see the point of Preparatory right away caue I completely forgot Waste Not was a thing, but since it halves cost rather than reduce it by 5(like Manip does), it's great on these and lets you get a shitton of inner quiet and progress in very few macro lines.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Which would be the least pain in the nutsack class, as far as speed of travel and soloing and instace running, to start with in order to unlock all classes?

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Which would be the least pain in the nutsack class, as far as speed of travel and soloing and instace running, to start with in order to unlock all classes?

Probably PLD. I would say DRK, but they don't actually get their god skill until 70.

• 2Like

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I can second PLD. Insta queues are great for catching up to the MSQ if you fall behind.
And unless you pay for the unlock it is a long road to unlocking DRK. That's my current goal.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
One day, I'll progress through the MSQ again. I'm at 3.5M again after being at a 100K since I bought my medium house, money from gathering still pretty good for me so still doing that mostly.

I did manage to get all the white scrip miner's gear that's available. Even though the rest is level 70 yellow scrip stuff, stats are decent enough for now. Not buying crafted stuff yet as the price are still at retarded level. Botanist is almost 78, I will most likely have almost a full set of white scrip gear waiting for she hits 80.

I did get 74 doing some fates tonight though so my 2 Red Mage retainers could level up again.

Also doing the Namazu daily with my crafters that aren't 70, and the Ananta and Kojin dailies on the Dancer once in a while.

Lots to do. :)

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, i'm ready for all the new Gunbreakers to finally realize "this is a tank class, you will be expected to tank" so they'll hurry up and quit. These 20-30min Tank queues on Leviathan are for the fucking birds.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I wont be unlocking. I like the RPGing shit too much. Also the account creation system is the most infuriating thing ever. What the fuck, how am I lost in account creation/game purchasing. If i didnt experience PlayOnline with FF11 i would be stabbing mother fuckers right now.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Please reply when you get to the end of the MSQ with your thoughts, because Kriptini Kriptini and I do not exaggerate on it getting better.

I just wrapped up the MSQ. Spoilers about story/etc.

The 80 dungeon was amazing. It was full on apocalypse...skyscrapers crashing down, fucking orbital bombardments, etc. It felt like a raid in terms of presentation, but it was just a dungeon. I loved the lore about the Ascians. It seems clear that the WoL is one of the splintered souls of one...there is the shade ascian in the city who tells you as much and Emet mentions it a few times, but seems firm in his conviction that you're still an incomplete husk. My guess is they are one of the Ascians who helped create Hydalean. It wouldn't surprise me if you eventually merge with the other WoL, or the very least that gets put on the table. Basically an Infinity Gauntlet situation...you merge with all the soul fragments, become whole and gain the power of creation, then probably use it to fix something and relinquish your power (because it would be OP as fuck if you could just create whatever from thought lol).

Zenos being back is...interesting. Seems like the Empire will be in chaos with him doing whatever and the Emperor dead.

Xpac just on story alone was a 10/10. Awesome presentation, excellent voice acting, just really great all around. I didn't think they could beat HW, but they did. And we still have more story to go