Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well, if he's someone who just picked a job for nothing but what it's title is, and did absolutely no research into a gigantic MMO they were starting, it's probably safe to bet they are also a quest text/cutscene skipper who wouldn't have seen any of that.

Not trying to excuse it, because it's a pretty fucking retarded thing to do for someone starting an MMO, but still. :p

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

What about Gladiator > Paladin? That transition probably makes the least sense in terms of job crossover besides the shield thing (which you really wouldn't know paladins use w/o researching).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't understand the point of sub 30 being a different class AT ALL. Ok I'm a marauder up to 30 now I'm a warrior. There was no branching or anything. What the fuck was the point ?

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I mean originally it was sort of the carrot on a stick; just a sort of development of your character, a break in the storyline as it transitions from Marauder story to the Warrior job storyline for example.

Plus it served a lore purpose I believe to show why we were better than the average townsperson - even moreso than being the Warrior of Light. Limsa doesn't have legendary Warriors guarding the city, they have scrubby little Marauders that won't ever be anything but.

The Soul Stones you get that made you become the 30+ job were written to be this rare object from a story point of view. I mean yeah 5 years later it all seems silly as fuck but at the time it was a good idea and was (from the realm of Final Fantasy) something that former FFXI players and just FF fans in general could find a type of consistency in as far as it being a new take on the whole Basic Job/Advanced Job system.

Also another thing to remember is how this game's story treats you as the main character. For all intents and purposes you are one of the only "Warriors" wandering the lands saving the day - wherein if this was WoW you'd be one of thousands of Warriors the story accounts for. Yes, I get at times the lore mentions "bringing your friends" and such but those are just viewed as random adventurers from the story's perspective. Your character is the star, and being as such they wanted to make the traditional Final Fantasy job feel a bit more special, hence making it something you "achieve" at level 30 and not a role handed to you from Level 1.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Originally you also weren’t just 1 class till 30 and then become something else. There were requirements you needed 1 job to 30 and 1 other to 15, so to become a Warrior you needed Marauder to 30 and Gladiator to 15, so there was more work to getting your final job.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ffxi advanced jobs were just additional jobs though. The base class games were still just as good as advanced classes

I understand it was story related, and I remember the requirements to unlock jobs. Just now it doesn't really feel cohesive.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I want to say there was talk one year, maybe it was back in Heavensward when they started releasing new jobs that didn't require a previous "Basic" job that they were gonna revamp that old system and streamline it more to make more sense but maybe i'm remembering that wrong or they just decided to scrap the idea altogether.

Cybsled

Originally you also weren’t just 1 class till 30 and then become something else. There were requirements you needed 1 job to 30 and 1 other to 15, so to become a Warrior you needed Marauder to 30 and Gladiator to 15, so there was more work to getting your final job.

This. It is a legacy hold over from back when advanced jobs required you be X level in various other jobs. The new classes in HW ditched that, and they ditched that completely with Stormblood for the vanilla jobs.

• 1Like

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
I want to say there was talk one year, maybe it was back in Heavensward when they started releasing new jobs that didn't require a previous "Basic" job that they were gonna revamp that old system and streamline it more to make more sense but maybe i'm remembering that wrong or they just decided to scrap the idea altogether.

They did talk about streamlining the system to make more sense, but what they ended up doing is just got rid of the other class requirements for jobs. Square Enix from a marketing standpoint tends to do things like that a lot, they talk up a feature or changes and then kind of half follow through. For example a more recent one would be the role quests in ShB, in the media and live letters they were often portrayed as a gate for players to learn their jobs before being allowed into content. Some unique trial system similar but more advanced to the novice trials. What we ended up getting is just streamlined role quests, that don't require you to do them again when you level another job from the same role.

• 1Like

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That's riiiiiight, that was about that time. Forgot about removal of the class requirements. That was exactly their band-aid solution to the problem.

khorum

Murder Apologist
The role quests are blue+ quests since they unlock your artifact coffer, I guess? Do they unlock anything else aside from that? Unless it unlocks content or a game system they would've just been yellow lore quests.

Come to think of it, I know some folks have already unlocked the combined quest that becomes available after you've done all four role quests. Is THAT a blue+ quest too and if so, what does finishing it unlock?

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
I believe Yoshi is on record stating that he hates the pre-30 jobs and would prefer all the jobs to start outright witheir crystals, hence why newer jobs do just that. But they would have to go back and rewrite-recode ALL the old content to change it.

As far as the ShB role quests, i believe once you do all 4 it unlocks a side quest which fills in the blanks about how Ardbert and his crew ended up unwittingly starting the Flood. Rewards a title too i think.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's not a big deal but it always bothers me when I see 'you gain 50000 marauder exp' no the fuck I didn't bitch

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The role quests are blue+ quests since they unlock your artifact coffer, I guess? Do they unlock anything else aside from that? Unless it unlocks content or a game system they would've just been yellow lore quests.

Come to think of it, I know some folks have already unlocked the combined quest that becomes available after you've done all four role quests. Is THAT a blue+ quest too and if so, what does finishing it unlock?
Well you need one to do the MSQ so that's probably why, and they do unlock the AF gear which will be relevant since the weapon will be the first step of the next relic too, probably. The unlocked quest is yellow however, it's just a normal quest but it's 80 req(non synced).

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah the last role quest you unlocked is just a lore bomb, unlocks a title ("Living Memory") and that's it.

It was nice though.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
The combined role quest at the end isn't nearly as good as the role quests leading up to it. I was severely disappointed.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
I don't understand the point of sub 30 being a different class AT ALL. Ok I'm a marauder up to 30 now I'm a warrior. There was no branching or anything. What the fuck was the point ?

I believe its also part of a hold over from 1.0. In that you had 2 levels your job level and your character level. You would get XP in your job or role and the your character would also level overall. You could switch roles over from marauder to archer and your character would stay level 40, but your archer would level would be 1. You could also equip higher level gear at a lower than recommended level too.

It was all kind of fucked up but when they went to 2.0 it seemed like they wanted to preserve the "feel" of that system so switched it over to what we have now with the base jobs.

Later on they realized this shit was just stupid and just started giving you your job crystal right away.