Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
He is, but we haven’t seen them with a mask. Take a look in the bottom right of that promo art. Ascian with Lahabrea’s mask, but a white robe.
Good eye. I didnt even see the Ascian in it till you pointed it out.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
He is, but we haven’t seen them with a mask. Take a look in the bottom right of that promo art. Ascian with Lahabrea’s mask, but a white robe.
Well in a way if we follow the trend of "old fights coming back" but different, there could be some sort of meta ascian fight where memories of the various ascians are mixed together. It sucks this is going to release so close to Cyberpunk, I'll have to try to avoid spoilers until I'm done and resub I guess, since for once it looks like x.4 is going to be interesting(usually is a somewhat dull patch since the main story arc is over, the next one is only starting and the raid story is whatever).

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
One thing that's easy to praise in XIV is the music. Shit is amazing.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Finally man soo many Primal Kills for this but glad it's over .. till I go for the birb/serpent/doggo's..
ffxiv_11222020_003638_721.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Playing this on 4k on the PS5 truly feels like it's a different game.
The textures still look like fucking horrible garbage, but the game does look nicer on 4k, like really everything. I guess the loadings not taking forever is also a pretty big change on PS5, although apparently the SSD is weird if it's not optimized it doesn't get great performances.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So live letter was today, new patch coming on the 8th as expected, with blue mage/relic stuff coming in .45 so a month and a half or two later. Monk changes look nice although looked pretty dumbed down as a result, but at least they made tornado kick and SSS useable in the main rotation instead of these weird shit that gave you a very slight edge if you used them once or twice in a fight but could also ruin your DPS if you fucked up your timing. Will also probably feel a lot better to have permanent GL speed instead of always having the "ramp up" opener and shit, and especially when soloing and what not.

Also next expansion announcement is on February 5th.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ok. So I’m buying this. Need a league PoE break and shadowlands looks like ass. There seems to be a lot of content here and I hear the environment and music are fantastic.

is there a board guild or something? I’ll be ultra casual. Not interested in anything more than the story and some basic dungeoning.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
About 20% through Stormbringer expansion with my wife, duo'ing PAL/WHM which is interesting since I have no idea about all the trials/dungeons as a tank and just run in blind and try to react haha. So far pretty fun but part of my still cries at how there is like absolutely no choices to differentiate player A from B other then class. Single line of gear advancement, melding even fucking caps so you can't choose how you want to optimize, no builds, no ability points...nada. Production value of the trials and main fights is awesome and the story which really is huge since my wife isn't a major gamer so that really gives her enjoyment.

Just seems like they went so far in the direction of not trying to heart anyones feelings or make them feel unwanted....sounded like they even made you able to desynth everything now? Just hate the idea that everyone can basically be everything they want at any point in time.

PAL as main and lvl'ing and have a DK at 62 as my back up, and playing a BLM when the wife isn't on which is 69. I just hate the fucking fact it seems pointless to level ahead, like you can't use your abilities since they take them away on all lower content and gear scaling back down seems minimal. Tell you what if any of these upcoming MMO's fucking figure out how to recreate that awesome feeling you got twinking the shit out of an alt and just feeling like a boss, i will give them money. Do you remember the joy of throwing on that fungi tunic and Tranquial staff you saved so much pp for onto your low level monk and then just being a god? Hell even my old SK twink in Kunark with Jade (?) Reaver after you hit 20 made you want to shout with joy.

Hope AoC has some type of value to twinking :(

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I'm kinda glad that they went the no skill tree route.

It's all about execution.. Not you're item/skill set.

Cybsled

That probably plays a big reason on why their raid encounters are usually much better tuned then WoW's: you're limiting the number of variables you have to account for, so it is easier to balance and adjust over all.

• 1Like

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider

Biggest takeaways:
- Monk's rework (details on Monday's final patch notes)
- New raid: Eden's Promise
- New dungeon: Matoya's Relict
- New trial: Emerald Weapon (Castrum Meridianum)
- MSQ
- Titan (Unreal)
- more YoRHa and role quests
- new maps dungeon (the roulette style)
- new ocean fishing route and additional features for it
- revamped collectible gathering for Miner/Botanist
- materia melding en masse*
- role-in-need is on the UI in a more visible way
- Triple Triad features ("Draft" play and more tourney support)
- Mahjong features ("quick match" and UI)

and more I'm probably forgetting.

* This was demo'd in the PLL and Yoshida succeeded a 17% in 2 melds and 5% on the first. lol

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

One thing that stood out was changes to retainer ventures. I hope they aren't nerfing them bringing back valuable shit and only removing worthless crap like trash fish or level 5 rocks.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah we'll have to see hopefully they're not like removing dyes or whatever cause that'd be a bitch move, but if they remove a bunch of the garbage that wouldn't be so bad since quick ventures are filled with crap like tome gear that realistically no one ever wants.

The triple triad changes are nice but ultimately it will only take someone trying to get a rare card once to figure out it's such a fucking stupid RNG fiesta that eats up enormous amounts of time for virtually no reward. They should ease up on the card drops especially since they keep adding more. But I guess in a way it's no different than trying to catch all the fishes(pro tip, don't bother, it's a fucking nightmare and every version they add more retarded fishes that spawn once every 20days for 10mins with a low % chance to even get a bite). So probably will stay like this, personally I didn't care enough for the minigame to bother with it.

Otherwise mostly same old. Looking forward to the savage fights streams and the monk rework. Also BLU update later down the road, hopefully I'll be done with Cyberpunk in time for that, the last BLU update was great imo, a lot more fun than the original(which was way too grindy and poorly done plus the skills were all the same), hope the next one does even more of that stuff.

Edit: Also the new tomegear looks pretty nice, very soulsborn-like
ITv_SzSF7UcFMhwbWFPInsmDzI.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cybsled

Regarding fishing, supposedly they are reworking one of the fishing abilities so that it lets you ignore weather requirements/etc for specific fish while the ability is active.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Regarding fishing, supposedly they are reworking one of the fishing abilities so that it lets you ignore weather requirements/etc for specific fish while the ability is active.
Only for HW and it seems unlikely they'll do it for current version and more like for past expansion catch up kinda thing. I still have a couple of Stormblood fishes I needed so that'll be useful once they get to that, but that won't help much with Ocean Fishing once they release the next expansion(they might keep it relevant by adding more destinations but it'll just make it harder and hard to find the right destination to catch your rare fishes).

Granted they've been simplifying a bunch of stuff so it's possible they'll tone down the fuckery that is big fishing eventually I guess. On the flipside I find it pretty entertaining, terrible windows aside. Like I wouldn't mind so much if I have low chances to fish it, as long as I can try every day/few days, it just sucks when the fish isn't available for like a month at a time and then it's still fucking low chance to get.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Yeah we'll have to see hopefully they're not like removing dyes or whatever cause that'd be a bitch move, but if they remove a bunch of the garbage that wouldn't be so bad since quick ventures are filled with crap like tome gear that realistically no one ever wants.

The triple triad changes are nice but ultimately it will only take someone trying to get a rare card once to figure out it's such a fucking stupid RNG fiesta that eats up enormous amounts of time for virtually no reward. They should ease up on the card drops especially since they keep adding more. But I guess in a way it's no different than trying to catch all the fishes(pro tip, don't bother, it's a fucking nightmare and every version they add more retarded fishes that spawn once every 20days for 10mins with a low % chance to even get a bite). So probably will stay like this, personally I didn't care enough for the minigame to bother with it.

Otherwise mostly same old. Looking forward to the savage fights streams and the monk rework. Also BLU update later down the road, hopefully I'll be done with Cyberpunk in time for that, the last BLU update was great imo, a lot more fun than the original(which was way too grindy and poorly done plus the skills were all the same), hope the next one does even more of that stuff.

Edit: Also the new tomegear looks pretty nice, very soulsborn-like
ITv_SzSF7UcFMhwbWFPInsmDzI.jpg
That DRG weapon....