Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
How do jobs and classes work now? Is all the sub-job stuff gone and I just go like conjurer in to white mage forever now?

Does my conjurer level just keep leveling along now if I'm a white mage?

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
How do jobs and classes work now? Is all the sub-job stuff gone and I just go like conjurer in to white mage forever now?

Does my conjurer level just keep leveling along now if I'm a white mage?

Jobs are an extension of their base classes, and require a Soul Crystal to activate. A job is a strict upgrade, and there is no reason to remain playing a base class once the job is available.

Classes are a relic of the 1.0 and early 2.0 systems where they were still trying for cross-class stuff like shared skills and the like. All the expansion jobs dont have any pre-req classes and just require you to be at the minimum level and have the respective expansion on your account to unlock them.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
Started playing, don't know what the fuck I'm doing, names are weird, lots of weeb shit but at least it feels like a step forward in the genre.

All I can recommend is to just take the game and story in stride and have fun. Best way I can describe FFXIV is that its evolved to become a SIngle Player RPG with a MMO shell around it. You can play the Main Scenario at your own pace with the benefit that the dungeons and raids are group content with other players, and they even added the option in the latest expansion to play dungeons with NPCs, so you can even do those at your own pace as well if you want.

One thing to help you pace yourself is that as you progress through the story, you will get achievements as you hit milestones in the main story quest, with I think around the middle of the post ARR storyline achievements start giving titles. This can help you gauge when you have finished a chunk of story and can keep going or just take a break and go do something else for a bit.

There is a lot of side content and other activities you can play of all ranges and types; so if you feel like the story is grinding on you, take a break for a bit and go explore and see if something else catches your attention for a bit. It can often help to give you a break and then you can go back and work on the next chunk of story when your ready.

Cybsled

All classes post-ARR (Machinist, Dark Knight, Astrologian, Red Mage, Samurai, Dancer, Gunbreaker) have no class pre-reqs, just level pre-reqs and they usually start at a set level vs. level 1 (HW = starts at 30, SB = starts at 50, ShB = starts at 60). HW jobs are MSQ locked, so you can't start them until you unlock HW. They later learned their lesson and put the new jobs in the starting cities, that way you aren't stuck being unable to unlock a job once you hit the correct level. ARR you pick a base job which later evolves into another job. Some don't make sense (like Gladiator becomes Paladin) and some do (lancer>dragoon, pugalist>monk) so look it up if you aren't sure. After level 10 on a single job, you can switch jobs to something else. Game is pretty easy in terms of switching out jobs/classes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The gear switching is something I really enjoy about ffxiv for classes. The crafting gear was really nice cause you can essentially use two sets of crafting all the way up for all the different trades and materia in them. Felt good to clear those tiers of gear out of my bag as I leveled all of them up side by side. I personally have yet to tackle blue mage, but I figured I would wipe that out when Im back in the FFXIV groove in the next expansion.

I find it really interesting that all these talking heads on youtube and twitch are outright switching, or slowly pushing their content towards ffxiv. Wasnt that long ago that people were just outright mocking ffxiv, so its nice to see it getting the spotlight it deserves.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
and what if we were both cat girls ffxiv.jpg

Damn you marketing, damn you.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I pre-ordered the next expansion this time for the xp bonus earring. I think that's what I regretted not having last time I played. Probably not a huge deal, since I'm not really in hurry , but it's nice.

Araxen

The gear switching is something I really enjoy about ffxiv for classes. The crafting gear was really nice cause you can essentially use two sets of crafting all the way up for all the different trades and materia in them. Felt good to clear those tiers of gear out of my bag as I leveled all of them up side by side. I personally have yet to tackle blue mage, but I figured I would wipe that out when Im back in the FFXIV groove in the next expansion.

I find it really interesting that all these talking heads on youtube and twitch are outright switching, or slowly pushing their content towards ffxiv. Wasnt that long ago that people were just outright mocking ffxiv, so its nice to see it getting the spotlight it deserves.

It's always gotten that it's a weeb game, but WoW is a furries game. Furries are beneath weebs by a landslide.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I did roll my eyes pretty hard when I clicked on the girl version of the dragon people during character creation.

BUT SHE'S ACTUALLY A 5,000 YEAR OLD DRAGON SO IT'S OKAY SHE HAS THE BODY OF A 12 YEAR OLD. ALSO THERE'S HORNS.

Merrith

I actually unlocked Blue Mage and completed all of it's story quests/leveled to the max of 70 while getting every spell in the game for it in about 2.5 weeks. Once you sorta get the hang of it, lot of fun. Not sure about other datacenters, but lots of PF groups up for Blue mage content like getting spells in synced runs.

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
It primarily matters for PvP, as in company vs. company vs. company.

But it's important for glamour purposes, which is the true endgame. Refer to this handy guide about the social hierarchy in FFXIV:

Interior decorators are gods.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Bought it while it was on sale. Level 25 Gladiator. Kinda going crazy with no abilities, sure hope I start to get a bunch at 30+ when I split to Pal.

Do I really need to not skip story and dialogue bubbles and cutscenes if I'm not an anime nerd? Everyone says not to, but I have a hard time believing I'll get absorbed in it, but if everyone says it's that good, I guess I better read about their weeb problems and not skip?

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bought it while it was on sale. Level 25 Gladiator. Kinda going crazy with no abilities, sure hope I start to get a bunch at 30+ when I split to Pal.

Do I really need to not skip story and dialogue bubbles and cutscenes if I'm not an anime nerd? Everyone says not to, but I have a hard time believing I'll get absorbed in it, but if everyone says it's that good, I guess I better read about their weeb problems and not skip?

Just skip them all and the game gives you a way to watch the cutscenes later if you are at all interested.

Cybsled

Just skip them all and the game gives you a way to watch the cutscenes later if you are at all interested.

I would recommend against skipping. The story in FFXIV is the meat & potatoes of the game.

The best analogy I can give is if you skip a lot of story, you're going to be like those people who decide to watch a serialized drama show starting on season 3 or 4 and have no fucking idea what is going on. Like if the first episode of GoT you ever watched was the Red Wedding episode...sure it might be shocking, but you'd have 0 idea who the fuck any of these characters are and it would have far less of an impact vs. had you been watching all these people for a while.

I know it gets repeated a lot, but the story in ARR is pretty long winded. It is mostly world building - meeting the Scions, learning who the fuck everyone is, what the rules of the world are, what the politics are, what the threats are. Some of the Scion speeches feel like the fantasy version of technobabble and your eyes glaze over. Because of the history of ARR, it can also feel like there are a lot of recaps to what you just talked about moments ago (IRL there was months between patches/story beats for the post 2.0 stuff).

That being said, around 2.4 patch in ARR the story begins to take a turn and becomes a lot more interesting. If you aren't hooked by the finale of ARR on the story and the start of Heavensward, then I am not sure what will hook you. And a good chunk of the characters introduced in ARR either recur in later expansions, or their actions are felt in later expansions, or they are referenced frequently.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I’m back on this shit. So how hard is it to get through the MSQ if you don’t want to do very organized raids.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I’m back on this shit. So how hard is it to get through the MSQ if you don’t want to do very organized raids.

I hadn't played since ARR and bought the expansion in the 60% off sale. It's not hard at all, the game basically holds your hand through the entire process with the only thing you can possibly fail being when you are forced into group content (dungeons/trials). It will take a lot of time though.

• 1Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I rolled on Loisloix or something super French sounding because it was the only Europe data center with the exp bonus. Is it true that you'll be able to access other "servers" soon? Or did I read that wrong? French people usually suck. I was tempted to still roll US servers like I usually do, but I was sick of 110ping when I played WoW. Are the servers that offer exp bonuses dead, ala WoW preferred servers?

Araxen

I skip them all. I want to create my own story. The in game story makes it feel like a single player game. I plan on watching some YouTube lore videos or something later maybe.