Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Hit only 31. Dicking with Paladin but also trying to bring up summoner too. There’s a lot of fucking content but so far seems fun and the community seems nicer. Gotta admit I’m still a little meh on the Japanese styling vs western mmo aesthetics. Strange since FF4 and FF6 are two of my favorite games of all time.

Even casually, MMOs are so relaxing to play.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm having fun, but honestly it's making me want to just go play ESO more and more. Seems like so far, everything I'm doing is done better by ESO. I know FF14 doesn't really pickup till later expansions though. I just wish getting there was faster.
I like eso, but they're very different mmo's to me. Combat, style, world. I still go back and play each expansion. Can't wait to go back and finish the last Greymoor line and check out Blackwood.

Goonsquad Officer
I'm having fun, but honestly it's making me want to just go play ESO more and more. Seems like so far, everything I'm doing is done better by ESO. I know FF14 doesn't really pickup till later expansions though. I just wish getting there was faster.
yea they would do tremendously well to hire a team for ironing out the old slow shit and replace/smooth out quests. the number one complaint for new people who try out FF14 is that it's a drag in ARR, then everyone loves the rest. some post-drip-feed smoothing would always do the game well. they could pull in one of the voice actors to sum up some of the slow shit that's a dialog slog.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
What in the fuck was that king mogg fight lol. Why did it have the nightmare before christmas music? Japan is so weird

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What in the fuck was that king mogg fight lol. Why did it have the nightmare before christmas music? Japan is so weird

That's one of my favourite fights in the game.

Trippy disco shit go!!!

tumblr_n8kqox0hC61racgo0o6_250.gifv

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What do you guys do with extra Poetics? I get more of these from dailies than I'd ever be able to use for gear alone.

Goonsquad Officer
the king mog fight kind of illsutrates how primals can be spun up based on faith, since it's so goofy you can tell the moogles made it.

i'm disapointed there wasn't a namazu primal. i guess they're so goofy they don't even deserve one.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
What do you guys do with extra Poetics? I get more of these from dailies than I'd ever be able to use for gear alone.

At Idylshire Hismena sells crafting mats you can only get thru them, Eikon metal/leather/cloth and Demicrystals(check you're Market for what sells good)

Can also trade in for Unidentifiable Ore(Hismena), and trade that for Thanalan Top Soil 3(Bertana, Uncanny Knicknacks) (Always sells good cause of gardening)

Or just buy equipment too lvl up Desyth skill

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It all depends on your server, really. Just check the board for what sells well concerning what Folanlron Folanlron listed, and the same goes for your grand company seals and what you can buy from them. For the non capped tomes and seals, it just makes sense to do that since you'll end up capping without even trying on both of them.

Omg. Yeah this has been driving me nuts. Also, why does tab targetting suck sometimes and not swap between targets? I found 2 other hotkeys I could add to target nearest to furthest and vice versa, are those better?

Sneak seems super useful for everyone to have. I often swap to it when questing, just to bypass KOS mobs. Does only miner get it, or do all of them?

(Most of this is personal preference, just to preface.) Its a lot to go over w/o just puking on the forum, but you can find a lot of information on targeting in older videos cause it really hasnt changed much over the years. But a lot of the targeting stuff I change based on the class Im playing. As a melee, I dont like to have "face my target" on, but in some situations its really good on other classes. Having it on will help you achieve a higher DPS with some classes if you can get used to it (I personally like to use it on some ranged classes).

As far as targeting key binds - Cycle through nearest to furthest is probably the closest you can get to just your standard tab targeting. But really, my best advice - you should try to use soft, hard and focus targeting. What that means is - you're attacking on your hard target, and you can setup your next target with soft target while still attacking the hard target which will help you set up chains better than tab targeting. Tab targeting still has its place, but if you learn how to use that system you should try to incorporate it on top of tab targeting. Focus target is basically a target that lets you keep an eye on what a second mob is doing - spell casts, buffs, debuffs, etc. How you map this stuff is up to you though, so have at it.

ESO is good, I play it too at times. But you have to look at each increment of content based on its time frame. So like ARR and Heavens is comparable to ESO's older or original content. Where as Shadowbringers is more comparable to probably Greymoor. What Im getting at, is that systems from older FFXIV content arent going to compare to systems in ESO that are relatively new content just because of how ESO works vs FFXIV. Once you're in Shadowbringers, you'll get a more accurate comparison of where you want to spend your time. If you really dive into FFXIV, you'll end up finding shit that doesnt get a lot of attention that is really cool. Like the Treasure Map dungeon for example.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
How do I unlock these lily things for white mage? I've had this spell that requires them for like 6 levels now but the trait that says it provides them is locked and I don't see any quests from the white mage hippies?

Malakriss

How do I unlock these lily things for white mage? I've had this spell that requires them for like 6 levels now but the trait that says it provides them is locked and I don't see any quests from the white mage hippies?
Have to do HW job quests, think the level 52 unlocks the trait. If you finished through 50 it should continue on in South Shroud

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Hrm weird, the white mage chick doesn't have those quests available if I go talk to her and I'm level 58 already.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hrm weird, the white mage chick doesn't have those quests available if I go talk to her and I'm level 58 already.

The UI will have the next job quest thats available to you listed right under the MSQ in the top left of the screen. Click on it and it should show you where to pick up where it left off.

Merrith

Other mentioned good options as well, but you could even just buy gear to turn into GC seals which you can turn into ventures, even.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The UI will have the next job quest thats available to you listed right under the MSQ in the top left of the screen. Click on it and it should show you where to pick up where it left off.
Yea I was relying on that for most of my leveling, but it doesn't list anything but the main story currently and hasn't had a white mage quest pop up since I got to 50 I don't think.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Are you on Heavensward? The post 50 class quests do not unlock until you get to 3.0 content.

Heart of the Forest leads right into Taint Misbehaving, but not until you have unlocked Ishgard.

Merrith

This. It's important to do the Heavensward class quests, as they will give new skills/traits. They changed this in Stormblood where only the level 70 finale class quest unlocks your 70 ability, the rest you all just gain naturally leveling. Shadowbringers doesn't have individual class quests, but 4 different "role" quests that are mostly just lore, although required to finish at least one set to finish the 5.0 MSQ.