Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Juvarisx

Florida
Asmon is doing World of Darkness min ilvl silence echo. Last boss is going to be entertaining

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Malkav

French Madman
He just did Cerberus on the first try but people actually knew they had to do belly and chains (though the chains were pretty fucking close), so he was able to just MT it with 0 clue on what was going on.

Though the boss actually did his mass fear mechanic just before going down, something I hadn't seen since the raid was current and had completely forgotten lol.

Goonsquad Officer
yea. his team of randos and/or regulars were all folks who knew the meta. and that's where most of the challenge is (the non tanks). SO on one hand he was carried by guys who knew how to do everything around him, but on the other hand he could hang with experienced players and do better than a lot of yahoos i see tanking heh.

Juvarisx

Florida
My experience with these has been with 50% sprout parties so it was def skewed by that, with groups that know the encounters its like he said the Alliance raids are the LFR of FF14. Im looking forward to Heavenward stuff, the Alexander savage modes are pretty hard from what I understand.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
He just did Cerberus on the first try but people actually knew they had to do belly and chains (though the chains were pretty fucking close), so he was able to just MT it with 0 clue on what was going on.

Though the boss actually did his mass fear mechanic just before going down, something I hadn't seen since the raid was current and had completely forgotten lol.
Tanking is the least involved role in the game.

Also people watching a guy stream the game are probably more clued into the mechanics of the game than some random duty finder group.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goonsquad Officer
i believe he filled several slots then randoed the rest. or maybe he pulled people from locally in zone? he had a crowd.

Malkav

French Madman
I'm pretty sure he can create a Party Finder alliance and have it instantly filled.

You can't do min ilvl no echo through the Duty Finder.

nu_11

i believe he filled several slots then randoed the rest. or maybe he pulled people from locally in zone? he had a crowd.
Randoming duty finder and randoming from people watching livestream of the game are two different populations. How do you not understand this?

Goonsquad Officer
yea. his team of randos and/or regulars were all folks who knew the meta.
he was carried by guys who knew how to do everything around him

i never asserted that his randos were pulled from the duty finder mouthbreathers. ofcourse they were people who were following his stream and knew was going on, and thus knew the strats. I just wasn't sure if it was folks hopping on from the party finder, or folks being grabbed locally. How do you not understand this?

Goonsquad Officer
I was kind of surprised how much of the lore he's digested. he recongizes people and what things mean. Before i started watching his ff streams i didn't really know him i guess.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I was kind of surprised how much of the lore he's digested. he recongizes people and what things mean. Before i started watching his ff streams i didn't really know him i guess.
I like how everyone thought he was the worst possible person to play FF14, and the ARR MSQ fetch quest of doom would filter him out of the game.

Then the first thing he does is read ALL of the quest text out loud, entertaining himself and his auidence, even "Prey return to the Waking Sands" went well.

• 1Truth!

nu_11

I’d be having fun if I was being paid tens of thousands of dollars tbf. Problem is I can’t act worth a shit

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I’d be having fun if I was being paid tens of thousands of dollars tbf. Problem is I can’t act worth a shit
When speaking in front of a crowd of people just imagine they all look like Shelley naked.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
So I bit the bullet a couple of weeks back and get the game. First I levelled a pugilist/monk to about lvl 35, but as much as I love monks in pen and paper D&D, it just does not translate into something I enjoy in computer games. So next I levelled an archer, which is now at around lvl 20. Much more enjoyable. I tried my hand at a few other classes but only the first few levels or so. I also contemplated getting into crafting. But the main problem I think, is not the game, but me. I think I'm just done with MMOs, and more specifically their entire play style. You never really get to change the world or make meaningful decisions. They play more like an interactive movie, which is understandable since you can't have people playing the same game in widely varying storylines. I'll play for a while more, try and finish the base game, but I think I'll go back to single player after this and be happy in my thought that my MMO days are well and truely over.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I'm at lvl 47 and slowing progressing thru the story and to my surprise I'm actually reading the main questline texts (Never did that in wow, even had an auto quest addon) and I have noticed a very Japanese thing happening there. Vast majority of the bad guy npcs you interact with in the end say they are very sorry and from now on they will try to be at their very best and are basically let go without any consequences. WTF is that shit? I wanna see some action.
To be fair there was that imposter Spanish Inquisition guy. But he did murder countless people and it would have been idiotic just to let him go. It's basically where I've gotten with the story. Still trying to get to that fucking airship.
Also, there's like no blood and even when people die, the camera pans/cuts away and doesn't show the deathblow so to speak. The most you see is npcs kinda fainting to death.

Cybsled

Trust me, there are plenty of bad guys who fall into the 100% unredeemable category in this game lol