First trip out of the country, help me choose

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I ended up getting a free trip through my electric company for 7 nights at a few choice locations. Unfortunately I have to pay for my plane ticket so that rules out my number one on the list (Thailand) because I can't afford the plane ticket or the 40 hours of vacation it'll take to get there and back (For the cheapest tickets, I do realize more expensive tickets will get me there and back faster).

So that basically gives me a few options in South America and since I've never been anywhere I'm trying to pick a nice spot and decided to ask some of you more well traveled assholes for advice. Below are my options in the order I find most exciting. There's a few other places in Europe/USA that are on the list but once again cash and getting murdered by migrants basically knocks all those off the list, and who would use a free vacation to stay in the mainland US?

Thailand, Phuket (/sadface)
Argentina, Patagonia Sept - Nov (Flights are almost as much as Thailand so it's basically out)
Aruba Aug or Sept (Cheapest flights)
Colombia, Cartagena Sept - Nov (Friends tell me it's sketchy but haven't been)
Brazil, Sao Paulo Sept - Oct

Mexico (Not really interested in these places unless highly recommended)
Cancun
Puerto Vallarta
Riviera Maya
Riviera Nayarit

Since I can't go to Asia I basically want to go to a quiet place, finish up Book of Malazan and drink Pina Coladas delivered to me via Tortoise. I'm not a party person so none of that shit appeals to me. I'd also like to note that I can't handle the Texas sun so I'll basically be indoors or in shade the entire time.

Lay it on me, I need to decide by next week to start shopping for tickets. I've also attached the list/dates I can go in case there is something I missed that you would think is applicable to visit. I'd prefer to go in Sept since it would be my Birthday month if possible.

Vaca.PNG

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Spain. Anywhere there. It's awesome.

I haven't been to Colombia but I have friends that have been and they unanimously love it. Medellin looks beautiful.

Hekotat

Spain. Anywhere there. It's awesome.

I haven't been to Colombia but I have friends that have been and they unanimously love it. Medellin looks beautiful.

The problem with spin is the cost of the flight. I'm finding tickets to Aruba for 500 bucks and that's hard to beat.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Aruba. Similar to Mexico but you won't get murdered by the cartels. Mexico is a fantastic place to chill in the shade and read books while getting sloshed on the girly-drink-of-the-day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

Aruba. Similar to Mexico but you won't get murdered by the cartels. Mexico is a fantastic place to chill in the shade and read books while getting sloshed on the girly-drink-of-the-day.

This is what I was leaning towards.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Aruba if you want to sit on a great beach. I would go hiking in Patagonia though.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I've never understood spending thousands of dollars and traveling thousands of miles to sit in the sun and drink margaritas. Just buy a beach umbrella and do it in your back yard. If I'm going on vacation I want to see, do, and eat things I can't get at home.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Other than plane ticket cost, what's wrong with thailand, you are saying it would be some route that is like 3-4 days on it's own? Work wont let you take unpaid, or just cuts into your saved funds too much?

I'd like to have one last trip abroad and get into some craziness. Already been plenty of other places, but now that I'm older and frugal, I have a hard time justifying the cost. I miss Germany pre invasion, but even if that wasn't the case today, I don't think I'd want to drop 5-6 grand to do a couple weeks compared to 5-6k buying me all kinds of shit at home.

Hekotat

Other than plane ticket cost, what's wrong with thailand, you are saying it would be some route that is like 3-4 days on it's own? Work wont let you take unpaid, or just cuts into your saved funds too much?

I'd like to have one last trip abroad and get into some craziness. Already been plenty of other places, but now that I'm older and frugal, I have a hard time justifying the cost. I miss Germany pre invasion, but even if that wasn't the case today, I don't think I'd want to drop 5-6 grand to do a couple weeks compared to 5-6k buying me all kinds of shit at home.

Yeah I can't afford to miss that many days and I don't like dipping into my savings. I also don't like having no vacation for the rest of the year in case something goes wrong. I'd have to pull about 2k out for the tickets and plus to make up for days with no pay, so it's not in the cards.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Money spent on travel is about the only money I spend that has absolutely zero buyer's remorse tied to it. It's always worth it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
If you can't do what you want, try doing the cheapest acceptable thing so you can save towards what you want?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I may reconsider colombia after looking at picks of Aruba. it appears there is no open space in Aruba at all.

Never been to Aruba but I've heard of and seen pics of some... Really good times in Colombia. Back in the day Army people in certain units spent a lot of time there. War on drugs etc. Synj Synj was there I believe!

Firstly don't pay attention to shit like Narcos and just don't make yourself an obvious target for getting pickpocketed or robbed.

On top of that all the Venezuelan women refugees there mean lower prices all around! Win win.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Colombia is great. It's cheap and beautiful with a great culture, people, food, etc. Just like any major metro area though, you just have to know where you are and don't wander into spots you shouldn't be, stay mindful of your surroundings and don't act like an idiot. It's been almost 20+ years since I was there but I was there at the height of the drug war and never felt like I was ever in any danger (well once but that was unrelated and I don't have time to tell that story).

Oh, and the women.

Hekotat

Once I got my voucher in the mail with my code on it, it showed a few other places and I ended up picking Cabo San Lucas due to how cheap flights were. The name of the place I picked was Hacienda Encantada, the flight was 400 bucks even and I had to pay a 200 dollar deposit.

I just need to save up for drinks/food and I'll be set. I don't plan on doing shit while I'm there so I don't think I'll need much.