Forced Ignore and You

Wintermute

<Charitable Administrator>
13h 5m
We have a new feature. You can forcefully ignore somebody and you will not see their posts and they will not see yours. You cannot remove it, they cannot remove it.

This is a feature I am going to roll out as an option for super donors first to see if anyone is even interested. The reason is because this can only be done from the admin panel and not from your user account.

ignore.png

It is bidirectional so you will not see what they post or threads they started and they will not see your posts or threads you have started.

Each request will be taken on a case by case basis based on whether you have any threads that are "vital" to be seen.

PM suineg if you would like to request this be done with your account and someone else.

Palum

Less Valuable Than A Visitor
<Donors Crew>
Is this what caused the functionality to change with ignored users? Used to be you could click "show hidden messages".

suineg

GOLDEN GOD
<Donors Crew>
33d 22h 44m
Is this what caused the functionality to change with ignored users? Used to be you could click "show hidden messages".
That was something I changed recently to helpe people save themselves from their obsession with people they hate. It was done around the same time that I found this addon so it only enhanced it.

Palum

<Donors Crew>
That was something I changed recently to helpe people save themselves from their obsession with people they hate. It was done around the same time that I found this addon so it only enhanced it.
That's dumb

• Solidarity
Reactions: Zzen

Palum

<Donors Crew>
Dumb that I closed the loop on some software flaws?

If they really want to they can log out and see all those posts.
How is an option a flaw?

What are you Blizzard now?

• Solidarity

Palum

<Donors Crew>
It’s a flaw for our community. If you want to be able to see what they are posting, don’t ignore them.
Lol OK

Boy I wish I had the ability to add Screamfeeder to an anti-spam list where I didn't have to read his chain posting drivel in the pol thread but I still had the option to view some posts he makes after Lithose takes a baseball bat to them.

Do you think you could add a feature like that Suineg?

Thanks a bunch

• Solidarity

suineg

GOLDEN GOD
<Donors Crew>
33d 22h 44m
Lol OK

Boy I wish I had the ability to add Screamfeeder to an anti-spam list where I didn't have to read his chain posting drivel in the pol thread but I still had the option to view some posts he makes after Lithose takes a baseball bat to them.

Do you think you could add a feature like that Suineg?

Thanks a bunch
I definitely could add that feature back. More people have rightfully asked for the option that I have running now though.

In fact it’s done. You can now see all of those posts by quickly logging off, reading them, and then logging right back on.

Please tell me what the major difference is before the change and maybe you will understand why I did it.

Palum

<Donors Crew>
I definitely could add that feature back. More people have rightfully asked for the option that I have running now though.

In fact it’s done. You can now see all of those posts by quickly logging off, reading them, and then logging right back on.

Please tell me what the major difference is before the change and maybe you will understand why I did it.
Well the major difference is it was easier for me which I'm a fan of so

suineg

GOLDEN GOD
<Donors Crew>
33d 22h 44m
Well the major difference is it was easier for me which I'm a fan of so
You can no longer put someone on ignore and talk about it nonstop and then click show ignored content, quote them a bunch of times, and then go hide from seeing their reply.

This was an issue and this change combats that.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
38m
So because some people don't have the maturity or self-discipline to ignore users they don't like, you're giving them the power to compromise the browsing experience of the people they don't like? No way that's going to be abused, I'll bet.

suineg

GOLDEN GOD
<Donors Crew>
33d 22h 44m
So because some people don't have the maturity or self-discipline to ignore users they don't like, you're giving them the power to compromise the browsing experience of the people they don't like? No way that's going to be abused, I'll bet.
You are conflating two different things here.

1.) Users can no longer click "show ignored content" this is to prevent people from quote sniping and then going back to ignoring the person. This is how ignore should work. This was happening regardless of anything else happening and would have happened on day 1 of the forum if I knew how to back then. I have learned a lot since then and have edited the proper files to make this happen. I will be making other changes that go along with this change. Right now they can still look at a person's user profile and rate things from there and I need to change that.

2.) Forced ignore is something people have asked for from day one, specifically because of you and zyy. They asked for it on rerolled as well. They didn't ask for it for them, they asked for it to force two people that aren't them to force ignore each other. We aren't doing that. We are allowing a person to not be directly followed around and harassed by a user. You want to know how many people have asked for it since this thread? Zero, not one. It's a complete non-issue right now.

The moral of all of this is that sometimes when you are an annoying piece of shit or a total dick it doesn't just get chalked up to having to deal with it because that's just how the forum is. People should be able to browse here and post without single individuals following them around nonstop stalking them and dragging other fights into every post.

Take for instance me. There is nothing that Screamfeeder can say that I am interested in ever again. I could ignore him, sure, and I have in the past. This results in him following me around and quoting me and tagging me and sending me PM's and just generally being a shit. Okay I shouldn't have to not want to log in ever again because of a single shitty person. He's on forced ignore and he can cry all he wants about it and move on to a new target.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again!
<Donors Crew>
15d 20h 46m
It's about maturity but it's got nothing to do with self discipline. This is "welcome to ignore, faggot" taken to the next step. It's not enough to just ignore someone; you have to lash out like a child first and make sure they can't get the last word in.

Palum

<Donors Crew>
OK but you can just remove people from ignore at will so

suineg

GOLDEN GOD
<Donors Crew>
33d 22h 44m
OK but you can just remove people from ignore at will so
That is a multi step process that people do much less frequently. If they decide to do so they can but I am removing the super convenient option sitting right next to the post is all.

The people that ignore snipe are the lazy ones.

DickTrickle

Analrapist
<Donors Crew>
31d 8h 15m
When an ignored user is the last new post in a thread, it will show as unread but when you click on it, it will just take you to the top of the page. Obviously a pretty minor thing but just letting you or other people know in case they experience it. I noticed it in the Pantheon thread with qwerty.