Forgotten Realms Novels

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Adinirahc

Trakanon Raider
I recently started reading the Drizzt series again. Picked it back up where I left off (Paths of Darkness). I forgot how much I love these books. Anyone have any good non Drizzt Forgotten Realms book recommendations? Is the Elminster series any good?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
20 years agoi loved the elminster series and the god one, can't remember what is called. I have no idea how they hold up. I always think about getting back into the universei just have so much to read already

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Avatar, The Finders Stone (<3 Dragonbait), Harpers were all good. I liked the Pools books but that could be because I was reading them while playing the PC games.

• 1Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I recently started reading the Drizzt series again. Picked it back up where I left off (Paths of Darkness). I forgot how much I love these books. Anyone have any good non Drizzt Forgotten Realms book recommendations? Is the Elminster series any good?

Shadowdale trilogy
The cleric quintet
War of the spider queen series
The Harper's series is hit or miss
Servant of the shard
All of the Jarlaxle + Entreri buddy adventures

You may like the new Drizzt books, I think they read like Salvatore had a contract to finish and he's doing the minimum to get books out. If I think of anything else I'll post it, I've got most of the books up to at least 2006 in storage.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I enjoyed Dragonlance (not Forgotten Realms but still DnD and solid high fantasy) and Starlight and Shadows quite a bit. Especially the latter. Elaine Cunningham's writing is a step above the usual DnD authors. Elminster was dogshit in my opinion and probably the worst series in all of the DnD worlds. I tried another Ed Greenwood novel and thought it sucked as well, so it could be his writing just doesn't jive with me.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Damn, that brings back some memories.

Dragons of Autumn Twilight(Dragonlance) was the first book that I've read by choice, not being for school resume or something, I was around 16 or so. That series is responsible for my love of Fantasy.

I spent the next few years reading nothing but Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms novels, I wish I could recommend stuff but it's been far too long.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I tried reading Salvatore but when I got to that horrible character Clacker I quit reading.

Terrible.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I've only read the Drizzt stuff. The Dark Elf Trilogy is solid. I'd almost say it's required reading for anyone who loves Fantasy. The rest is above average but worth skipping.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The haunted lands series was grand. It is mostly about Thay and Szass Tam in particular.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Dragonlance was the shit. That was my introduction to fantasy, as well as my first non-kid-aimed book.

For FR, it's been awhile, but I remember liking the books with Erevis Cale. And yeah, I would skip anything by Greenwood; it's not offensively bad, but his stuff just does absolutely nothing for me.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Echoing what others have said about the Avatar books (starts with Shadowdale). They were the first books I ever voluntarily read and really opened my eyes into the high fantasy genre as a kid. Highly recommend if you like Forgotten Realms books.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Adinirahc

Trakanon Raider
The haunted lands series was grand. It is mostly about Thay and Szass Tam in particular.

Thanks. I think I will pick this up. Szass Tam always interested me. Will have to get around to Dragonlance some day too. Artwork alone makes me want to read these.