Foundation

Qhue

Trump's Staff
2.75 star(s) Rating: 2.75/5 8 Votes
Title: Foundation

Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2020-12-31

Creator: David S. Goyer

Cast: Lee Pace, Jared Harris, Lou Llobell, Leah Harvey, Laura Birn, Terrence Mann, Cassian Bilton

Overview: The thousand year saga of The Foundation, a band of exiles who discover that the only way to save the Galactic Empire from destruction is to defy it.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
It kills me that Apple is the one to finally take on the task, but really not many people have the sort of $$ and stamina to do it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
So this is a fucking prequel to the series stretched out to make it an action/adventure story instead of one about science predicting the rise and fall of civilization and how to navigate humanity through it?

Pass.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
The books are super dry and boring for long stretches so I can understand why. On the one hand some of those visuals look amazing, but I'm not really sure they capture "the fall of a billion sun empire" that well, it looks a bit too video gamey. Doesn't look like AI factors into it at all either, which is interesting since Asimov did some terrible retconning to try and link his I, Robot universe to The Foundation universe in the last few books he wrote.

Wonder if they will pull in The Mule and stuff like that or just stick to mainline story stuff. The lead black young girl genderswapping as the noob scientist in the original books is kinda lame but not surprising. The books timeskip 50-100 years quite often, I can't really see how a TV show does that while trying to keep character continuity. Unless the lead actress is an android after all...

Jared Harris as Hari Seldon is pretty awesome

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I haven't heard of this before but it sounds like Jupiter Ascending. Will it be as fine as that Wachowski masterpiece???

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Eh. It'll be pretty. I'm not sure how you do foundation without actually doing foundation though.

It's more like six or nine stories rather than one. Seems like it would be perfect for a modern serial format. Also doesn't seem like this is what they're doing. That looks a lot more like those Prelude to Foundation series that he wrote about the life of Seldon.

Those were not particularly good. They were ok, but no where near as good as foundation itself was. The life of Seldon was both not important and better left as a mystery. The -one- good thing to come out of that prelude series was the robot idea that he justifiably gets so much shit for. But I remember that prime eldest robot asking Seldon "why do you think it is that you've never encountered any other advanced life in this galaxy which may pose the least threat to humans? Why do you think it is that your dominion is so complete?" That was in one of his later books when he was trying to tie it back into I, Robot. I mean it's actually a good question and within the context of his fantasy a good answer.

Still it'll be pretty. And that guy is an odd choice for Seldon but he'll probably be good.

Make Peter Jackson do foundation. Not "the co-author of batman". lol, jesus.

Last edited:

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
What are the odds the second foundation will be comprised of some kind of LGBTSFSWEF+++ people, and the mule is a white supremacist?

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
They wont get into the Mule portion most likely. Just the first few books. But I am relatively certain the Foundation itself will be highly diverse. You're right. While the Galactic Empire will be full of nothing but white supremacists and the fall of the empire will be due to racism or something. The Foundation will be created just to escape from the empire rather than to preserve it through the dark age.

I do love the Foundation though as it is such a foundational piece of literature. I really hated writing that sentence btw. You can see so much of Foundation in the 40k Imperium for example.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's a great set of books. In one way it's a meta retelling of pseudo roman history with interesting historical insights. In other way it's an interesting observation on human nature and human systems. In another way they're just well written stories that are fun.

I honestly don't see how any of that translates into the medium of television. In anything less than 20 hours or so.

I might be ok with it if they give me some nice space titties tho.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
its Apple TV, they will only show family friendly stuff that is aspirational - no titties, minimal violence/racism/sexism/etc.

• 1Barf

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Haven't read these books in decades, just vaguely remember it. So wouldn't be too disappointed in any changes they might make if these times were typical.

But Hollywood is pushing out a never ending shitstorm of woke crap. Especially in the sci fi arena. Have serious doubts that this wouldn't have some sort of garbage immigrant blm tranny storyline that has nothing to do with the source material tacked on.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I don't see how they could possibly translate it to TV. This is most likely going to be set in the same universe but a completely separate story? So......still interested because it's scifi!

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I swore the character that meets Seldon in the first book was a guy...

Looks diverse.

Kills me, because I only read this series this past year and it's fucking amazing...

And it looks like Apple is going to woke it up.

Comments disabled on the trailer... Lulz

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well not just the guy he meets but also Demerzel is a male in Foundation and 6 other books.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Gotta confess, this is one of the giants of sci fi but I could never get into it. I tried reading the first one several times, just never got into it. Its one of those things where reading the Wiki about it, it sounds it they would be really interesting books, while the actual experience is somewhat different.

That said. Not sure I remember it as the story of a plucky teenage black girl, but perhaps I've forgotten something.

• 1Picard

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Nothing gets me rigid for a new TV show like the director shilling for Apple in the first minute of the promo.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database