Free Solo (2018)

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Free Solo (2018)

Tagline: Live beyond fear

Genre: Documentary

Director: Jimmy Chin, Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi

Cast: Alex Honnold, Sanni McCandless, Jimmy Chin, Tommy Caldwell, Mikey Schaefer, Cheyne Lempe

Release: 2018-12-14

Runtime: 100

Plot: Follow Alex Honnold as he attempts to become the first person to ever free solo climb Yosemite's 3,000 foot high El Capitan wall. With no ropes or safety gear, this would arguably be the greatest feat in rock climbing history.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Kind of surprised there wasn't a thread for this one. I maybe saw something in the Documentary thread about it, but seeing how it won an Oscar, I feel like it deserved a stand alone.

I had actually seen Alex in a van life video several months ago not knowing who he was (reference the Grape Vanning thread in Screenshots; we've both got Promasters!).

As far as the movie goes, this was a solid documentary. Pretty much the whole movie I was just proclaiming, out loud, how absolutely insane everything was. My palms got sweaty, my feet got sweaty, my balls retracted into my stomach, and I felt like vomiting. Free solo climbers are fucking out of their minds.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I remember a video a long time ago of the main guy and he has one of the strongest grip strengths in the world. Pretty impressive for a thin dude.

This isn't that video, but wow anyway.

Last edited:

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I was gonna rate this 0/5.

Movies should take more care not to be confused with starwars.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
During the full interview with Rogan and the Navy seal, they get into talking about Wingsuit pioneers. There are something like 68 different people that can be credited with refining and developing the Wingsuits to the product they are today. Every fucking one of them is dead and rotting in the ground, of course due to a Wingsuit accident.

I just hope we don't hear about Alex Honnold splattering on some mountain somewhere, but it does seem inevitable.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Well if you put yourself in danger you will die in it, or however it goes.

It's a very dangerous sport. Yes he's a trained professional, done the thing with a rope hundreds of times, but free soloing will at one point end in a fall, you might slip, a bird shits on you or the next ledge you're relying on, a break-out, anything.

Hosix

All labs matter!
Ya I watched this. It’s impressive that he did it. Scary and he has balls of steel. Good documentary overall.

He should prolly spend less time living in his van and more time with his lady friend.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database