GameStop Stock Worth $5.13...But Only Worth 7cents In Store Credit

joz123

Potato del Grande
I get all my games through PS Store or Walmart now, both usually cheaper than Amazon or anyone else.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm gonna be the last hold out. I don't like digital games for consoles. To me, consoles is about that disc. I'm in the minority here of course, but I love having that disc. Bought DA:I and Bloodborne earlier this year digital and it weirds me out. Haven't played either game.

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 9 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I buy physical whenever I can, mostly because I could go in to places like GameStop and turn that shit back in for $$$. I also do enjoy just having the physical product, it feels more like I own it I guess.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I never step into Gamestop unless I really have to. The billion questions they ask you at check out is enough for me to stay away. Plus knowing that turning down the cashiers offers is likely helping that person get fired due to Gamestop stupid "metrics" policies is also another reason for me to stay away.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Never been a huge console guy. I think the last time I bought something at gamestop was 10 years ago for the Xbox 360. Forza I think I think it was a midnight release and I was up. I think they had 2 other people at the strip mall I went to minutes from the house in a college town.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I never step into Gamestop unless I really have to. The billion questions they ask you at check out is enough for me to stay away. Plus knowing that turning down the cashiers offers is likely helping that person get fired due to Gamestop stupid "metrics" policies is also another reason for me to stay away.

I went to gamestop once like 3 years ago to get a wireless 360 controller to play rocket league on my pc and they didnt have one, lol

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Now that you said that I think I went to one a few years ago to get a wireless controller as well, to use on my PC. Web said they had one, didn't have it and the 2 people working there looked at me like I was asking for a super rare item nobody had ever heard of. But they did say "Oh the internet deal sucks". Thanks for the info.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Just like malls in general, physical stores for software is something of a relic already. But to reiterate, my last few times in one of their stores were thoroughly unpleasant. I won't be sad to see them go.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Getting harassed to buy games I’m not interested in, sign up for reward programs, ‘brand new’ games having the disc not in the case, shit $ offers for used, etc turned me off of GameStop like 10+ years ago.

Bye.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
My online account to GameStop has been jammed for like over a year, I still can't access it despite trying to contact them previous times. I just get an error, and when I email them, I get no reply lol.

The digital market and the simplicity of using places like Amazon has been taking a dump all over them year after year.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Nowadays, I just do Best Buy whenever I'm doing physical. They may have less of a selection than GameStop, but it's rare that they don't have what I'm looking for, and at least I don't have to go through The Ordeal whenever I step up to the register.

• 1Solidarity

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I avoid GameStop unless absolutely necessary. I don't want a neckbeard trying to convince me to buy used, sign up for some bullshit customer program, or just talking to me really. When I bought my Xbox 360, the guy hounded me to buy a "protection plan" for it. I told him no and he insists, saying that the Xbox 360 scratches disks so I should really consider the protection plan. I laughed at him. I've been in GameStop probably 3 times since then(2005?).

Hope those employees are looking for new jobs asap.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I still buy my games at Best Buy even after they nerfed the rewards program. Man the original gamer's club unlocked or whatever it was called was cheat mode. Get 20% off (or more) on pre-orders and then trade-in for store credit after beating it for like 80% of what you paid.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I personally have not bought a disc in years. I bought a few for the kids though as presents so I could give them some physical thing, but even they now resort to just buying in the PS or Microsoft store. Whyt he fuck would anyone want discs to fondle these days? Last game I had a disc for was Destiny 1 and it ended up being such a hassle of finding the stupid disc every time I wanted to play it on PS4, that I just broke down and repurchased the entire bundle digital so I would not have to hassle with disc.

spronk

FPS noob
gamestop's pretty much funded all my gaming for the past 4 years, for a while it was pretty easy to buy used games on sale weeks for $20-30 and trade them in for $45-51 a week or two later, do that across 50-100 games in a weekend at 3-4 stores and use that trade credit on new games. All my consoles have been bought at gamestop from trade deals, like them offering $300 for my launch PS4 and buying a PS4 Pro for $399 and a year later doing the same buying a God of War PS4 Pro. I've churned a good $50k+ of credit through them and have thousands of xbox/psn/eshop cards that will fund digital buys when gamestop goes away. Probably 90% of my game buys now are digital but whenever trade opportunities come up I still do it, albeit they are far less frequent and very short windows - the last one was in april when they offered $51 in trade credit for switch games for a single day due to some promo stacking.

so i'll be sad to see them go but more for the fact that they were severely incompetent and easy to take advantage of if you knew what you were doing. sadly as fewer and fewer people shop there (most stores are empty now when I go) they have really ratcheted down the deals/glitches.

Whats crazy is that there are still like 24 gamestops in my town, like Starbucks many are within 1-3 blocks of each other too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I've been all digital for years.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving company

• 1Like