Gene Editing and the Rise of Khan

yerm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
32d 3h 41m
At some point in the future, refusing to screen for unwanted genes is going to be like refusing to vaccinate today. Gene therapy causes autism, big pharma and the government are trying to wipe out individualism, fertility centers are racist.

suineg

GOLDEN GOD
<Gold Donor>
36d 8h 57m
This inst cloning. Anyway, I'm sure is civil societies with morals will continue to fuck ourselves over with laws and regulations so we fall behind further.

Truly, the hubris of some of the greatest minds in biology will be are undoing. Know what'sfun? Pissing off John Glass in a public forum by letting him know that China has dozens of researchers as smart and as capable as him.
Oh I know this isn’t but like I said before. You would have to be naive to think nobody is out there trying.

Dom

[H]ardOCP: Chinese Authorities Condemn Work of Chinese Geneticist

Earlier this week, scientists in China claimed they produced the world's first genetically edited babies. While many assumed the work was legal in China, the Chinese government begs to differ. Xu Nanping, the vice-minister for science and technology, reportedly told CCTV that the researchers "blatantly violated China's relevant laws and regulations." While some meaning is certainly lost in translation, the report seems quite unequivocal, claiming that the "clinical operation of genetic editing for human embryos is strictly prohibited in our country." The rest of the Google translated release is below, and it sounds like the scientists are in legal hot water.

Reactions: chthonic-anemos

Olebass

I'm a lead farmer.
32d 5h 25m
if you're going to call these abominations, superbabies, at least give them some kind of actual super power. these lab retards are being engineered by the chongs. they arent exactly known for their quality products.
Every time I see this I laugh because of the pillars and footings. It is like they stole building plans from some project on stable soil and replicated it on landfill. So they followed instructions but without knowing why.

iannis

Chairman Meow
35d 23h 41m
We won't know for years.

The motive to hush and cover is the same either way.

he probably did apply a single gene therapy to a collection of ovum and then implanted them to term. That's not science fiction, those techniques exist.

But China also fucking lies about stuff like this. There are political motives to do so. So don't expect proof, or even information sharing. He did not offer a detailed treatment... He just said he did it. That fact is also important.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Bronze Donator>
27d 28m
he probably did apply a single gene therapy to a collection of ovum and then implanted them to term. That's not science fiction, those techniques exist.
That's exactly what was claimed. And China did experiment earlier on a bunch of embryos that were not intended to get to term. They got varied success (I think less than half of the embryos had the intended modification sticking).

Here, he had 2 embryos modified, and at least one is supposed to have ended chimeric (not all of the cells had the modification, so not all organs carry the mod).

iannis

Chairman Meow
35d 23h 41m
Yeah, what he claimed to do is not impossible. He might have even done it.

It just wouldn't be the first time that chinese science pulls a stunt at the behest of the Party for political, rather than scientific, reasons. What better way could there possibly be to spur domestic development (and frankly, sow discontent in the western sciences -- this is a highly contentious edge) than something like this. Just claim you did it first and watch the round eyes fight each other. Buys you a few years to actually do it. It would be foolish to ignore that, just as foolish as to say he couldn't possibly have done it. It's probably been possible (you and zzy would know better than I do) for about 5 years.

khorum

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
95d 51m
We won't know for years.

LOL no we won't.

If you can afford to pay a million bucks for a crispr/cas9 therapy to make all your descendants immune to AIDS, what would stop you from spending it?

This is technology that endows an EVOLUTIONARY ADVANTAGE to your offspring for a onetime fee. Its appeal is primeval.

ZyyzYzzy

Honk Honk 👌
<Moderation Tools>
81d 7h 47m
LOL no we won't.

If you can afford to pay a million bucks for a crispr/cas9 therapy to make all your descendants immune to AIDS, what would stop you from spending it?

This is technology that endows an EVOLUTIONARY ADVANTAGE to your offspring for a onetime fee. Its appeal is primeval.
Or just raise them properly they dont do heroin or fuck American Inventors