Gene Editing and the Rise of Khan

iannis

Chairman Meow
<Donors Crew>
14d 7h 23m
Reactions
14,164 644 0 0
Honestly? Utter lack of faith in chinese quackery. And I wouldn't inoculate against aids at present either, honestly. It's a bad risk ratio. Low:undefined. It's hard to make an educated guess about that.

lots of people would though.

the advantage you're thinking of is largely theoretical. Sickle cell is an evolutionary advantage, too.

I'm not saying that idea is wrong. I'm saying that is a leap of faith. It may be a justifiable one.

I'm not even sure if the treatment is her editary. Zz or uker might.

Last edited:

TBT-TheBigToe

Lesbian Icon
<Donors Crew>
29d 21h 4m
Reactions
7,243 246 0 0
I support this.

Not because I agree with it but because it is inevitable. I also look forward to the unforeseen consequences like genetically altered viruses mutating in unexpected ways in genetically altered humans/animals. New super cancers developing due to altered cells still behaving the same way as regular ones when exposed to cancer enduring elements.

Also, cat girls.

Erronius

Survivor of Attempted Rape
20d 10m
Reactions
6,432 814 0 0
Cat girls with cancer? Or are cat girls a cancer?

I'm assuming all of the above.

Erronius

Survivor of Attempted Rape
20d 10m
Reactions
6,432 814 0 0
Cats: "You have no chance to survive make your time"

Grim1

Vyemm Raider
4d 12h 24m
Reactions
2,777 342 0 0
I support this.

Not because I agree with it but because it is inevitable. I also look forward to the unforeseen consequences like genetically altered viruses mutating in unexpected ways in genetically altered humans/animals. New super cancers developing due to altered cells still behaving the same way as regular ones when exposed to cancer enduring elements.

Also, cat girls.
Most parents want what's best for their kids and will try to give those kids whatever advantages they can to succeed. If you have the opportunity to make your kid more intelligent, stronger, etc with a couple of changes in the womb, then who is going to say no? Especially if all the other parents are doing it.

So like you say, inevitable.

Hateyou

<Donors Crew>
22d 22h 53m
Reactions
7,291 407 0 0
Is this because of what he did or because it garnered so much attention? I don't really understand China's motives at any point.
Yeah I’m the same. I never really understand why their government goes after certain people and not others. I think they do have a problem understanding how things are actually perceived vs. how they think things are perceived.

zzeris

Vermin Supreme
<Donors Crew>
31d 23h 41m
Reactions
13,606 328 0 0
I support this.

Also, cat girls.
That's the worry I have but the possible benefits are so extreme that, as you said, it's inevitable. I'll be long dead before I see the long-term effects but some of these diseases are brutal. It will be interesting to see how society adjusts, and how quickly overpopulation becomes a problem. We have Africa massively over populated today just with the fixes we've made so far, so how will the world adjust? I think very poorly as one variation of the dystopias written about will happen. Mankind never learns but can we move to our next home fast enough?

Aldarion

Trakanon Raider
7d 18h 52m
Reactions
2,679 168 0 0
Sorry but the "its inevitable" argument is complete bullshit.

We don't as a general rule accept that when a thing becomes possible, through technological advances, and is predicted by sci fi writers and futurists, that it is therefore inevitable and should be therefore embraced by Western society.

For example, we've had organ transplant technology for decades and organ farms have been a staple of dystopian stories for just as long. "Its inevitable!" So where are the organ farms? Where are the think pieces saying "parents just want whats best for their kids, so its natural I'd invest in a batch of third world children to provide spare parts for little Timmy"

Gene editing is possible* just like organ transplants are possible. That doesnt mean either Gattaca or organ farms are inevitable. Human societies still get to decide whether they *should* do these things. In this case, the societies that wisely refrain from messing with their genomes get to remain human, and one day do battle with the filthy Tleilaxu

(*CRISPR causes widespread offtarget changes, and we don't know enough about any traits worth altering to explain more than ~5% of variation in the trait with genetic markers, but its "possible")

zzeris

Vermin Supreme
<Donors Crew>
31d 23h 41m
Reactions
13,606 328 0 0

We don't as a general rule accept that when a thing becomes possible, through technological advances, and is predicted by sci fi writers and futurists, that it is therefore inevitable and should be therefore embraced by Western society.

For example, we've had organ transplant technology for decades and organ farms have been a staple of dystopian stories for just as long. "Its inevitable!" So where are the organ farms? Where are the think pieces saying "parents just want whats best for their kids, so its natural I'd invest in a batch of third world children to provide spare parts for little Timmy"

Gene editing is possible* just like organ transplants are possible. That doesnt mean either Gattaca or organ farms are inevitable. Human societies still get to decide whether they *should* do these things. In this case, the societies that wisely refrain from messing with their genomes get to remain human, and one day do battle with the filthy Tleilaxu

(*CRISPR causes widespread offtarget changes, and we don't know enough about any traits worth altering to explain more than ~5% of variation in the trait with genetic markers, but its "possible")
Organ transplant is in no way perfected or easy to accomplish at this point. The best solution is a cloned organ which is still far above our abilities today. The human body rejects foreign objects which means ongoing and extremely expensive immuno-suppressant therapy. The average transplant lasts 12 years and the list of need is still fairly still. Organ Donation Statistics.

As technology improves, it is almost always implemented. Many gholas of Duncan Idaho were created and he did save humanity in the end. That's what happens when Herbert dies without his own clone and his son takes over. He should have been better prepared.

It is extremely concerning and we both know they won't research nearly enough(probably couldn't). If we have science already pushing climate change narratives and following the pan-sexual agenda, we will definitely find scientists who will say gene editing saves lives without severe health consequences. Most people only need the slightest nudge to follow the herd.

Cybsled

Vyemm Raider
8d 11h 22m
Reactions
2,708 788 0 0
The larger concern with editing human DNA / genes is this impacts things on a hereditary level. Effects, both good and bad, are now suddenly introduced into the population at large. The Chinese government is probably angry because without vetting what those positive and negative changes are, you stand to have potential negative impacts on your society and they view that as a national security threat, especially in the lens of them already sitting on a population time bomb due to the decades of 1 child and the male/female ratio getting massively thrown out of whack due to cultural gender preferences.

yerm

<Donors Crew>
16d 21h 0m
Reactions
4,824 280 0 0
What we really need is to ditch the modern merciful societal expectations that it's not ok for people to be downtrodden. Why does the orient have the highest IQ on earth, followed by the non-muslim'd core of the Roman empire? Brutal meritocratic practices work.

Forget gene editing, just give universal healthcare but require sterilization before receiving treatment for chronic illness. Forget expunged juvenile criminal records; castrate child felons and any that can't graduate. Cut off welfare for single parents; you HAVE to be willing (and socially able) to marry to support kids.

Until then we live in a society dominated by have-nots abusing the now-self-loathing haves, and gene editing is as likely to strip advantages as fix problems. My lactose tolerance will get removed before those retards concern trolling the politics thread see an IQ bump. Fuck that. Gene editing is good, but our society isn't ready.

Ritley

<Donors Crew>
20d 7h 37m
Reactions
14,176 546 0 0

I’m sorry, but using organ farming as your counterargument is one of the stupidest I’ve seen. Those organs have to be taken from someone else, either by force or through coercion. If we were at the point of being able to economically clone or grow organs you bet your ass there would be organ grow centers. It’s the same thing for gene editing, you don’t have to “remove” genes from another person. There’s no perceived victim in the whole process (unlike organ harvesting).

As it stands though we are nowhere near being able to do what people are talking about here, so using today’s morals to discuss something that could be a century away is kind of pointless.

Guurn

Lord Nagafen Raider
18d 18h 43m
Reactions
400 19 0 0
Using lab grown body parts is already pretty normal. They have implanted grown bladders, vaginas etc. It is only going to expand in the future. Even things like hearts aren't that far off. The main question is weather it will be more cost effective to grow a human heart in a pig or to grow it in a lab. Either way it will solve rejection issues.