Gene Editing and the Rise of Khan

wormie

<Donors Crew>
49d 17h 48m
Reactions
7,236 765 0 0
I think you underestimate the complexity emergent from the network formed by genes. We may not be able to decipher it and all our attempts will lead to cell death and nothing more. Or if not death, then something useless or horrible.

iannis

Chairman Meow
<Donors Crew>
21d 15h 35m
Reactions
15,724 782 0 0
I'm not saying we'll find alternatives. Or that we'll find them quickly. Or that they even exist. But they may. "maybe all of them" was the funny part. It's more like... no, it's OBVIOUSLY all of them. haha. Just we're not sure why sometimes. The natural process also selects for least effort most reward solutions to problems. There may be higher effort higher reward solutions which are also effective.

But that's the point of genetic research. in the coming decades we will begin to tackle those questions in specific and find answers to them.

For damn sure it's not something we could do in Current Year. Gotta start in Current Year though.

wormie

<Donors Crew>
49d 17h 48m
Reactions
7,236 765 0 0
Oh I dont know if "obvious" is something we can throw around easily.

iannis

Chairman Meow
<Donors Crew>
21d 15h 35m
Reactions
15,724 782 0 0
That's fair, it's a questionable word choice. Obvious is an assumption.

I think if you start with that assumption though it's easier to find places where it is false rather than the reverse. A simplification trick. Least effort most reward. I am a parsimonious person.

And of course nothing is monolithic. You also want to dovetail results with people pursuing the reverse. A comparison of the two assumptions will yield more than either assumption alone. That's at least historically true in the absence of singular genius.

I do wonder why (and I'm not saying it's stupid, I actually wonder why) and person would think that after millions of generations of reproduction there would be excess left inside the structures. Mutations, obviously, little errant bits, obviously, some byzantine complexity, probably. But straight excess? I think it would be culled. I think that because you would have mutations which are able to accomplish the same with less and that -should- result in a more favored structure. But hell, maybe it doesn't always.

Last edited:

Foler

Vanessa
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
7d 18h 3m
Reactions
2,577 986 0 0
Think of all the good we could do with this though - remove birth defects like liberalism, remove racism by removing darker skin pigmentations, the possibilities are boundless!

Cybsled

Vyemm Raider
9d 11h 42m
Reactions
2,838 824 0 0
I think at a certain point, though, there will be greater pressure to offer gene modification or designer microbiomes. Doesn't matter if you eat right or exercise, if you have shitty genes or a bad microbiome, you're still fucked in the long run.

It will start from a health and welfare concern, but once that is solved for and it has become the baseline, then it will quickly move into the more superficial realm.

fanaskin

Well known Agitator
48d 22h 17m
Reactions
58,519 4,178 0 0

that was actually a case of selective breeding, the chinese gov hooked up two super tall chinese people

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basket...na-by-order-of-the-state-20060119-gdmsz0.html

the 205cm Yao Zhiyuan, soon found himself dragged into the sports system.

There he was paired off with the 182cm Fang Fengdi, China's women's captain who had been a feared Red Guard during the murderous Cultural Revolution.

The two were encouraged to marry in a system with undertones of eugenics, the controversial gene-pool manipulation espoused by the Nazis and previously trumpeted by Beijing.

Aldarion

Trakanon Raider
9d 27m
Reactions
2,839 190 0 0
The next step would be artificial wombs. If anyone ever manages to perfect one the society that comes out the other side of that invention will only bear a shallow resemblance to ours.
This is a good point, but don't forget: Herbert already covered this, too. Gene editing was actually the harder part. All you need for an artificial womb is to find a society that doesnt put a lot of stock in human rights, and to not get too picky about the artificial part.

Axlotl tanks are inevitable, too.

And you are 100% right that whatever emerges from these technologies will bear little resemblance to human society...

TJT

Adrenaline Junkie
<Donors Crew>
Reactions
35,688 892 0 0
This is a good point, but don't forget: Herbert already covered this, too. Gene editing was actually the harder part. All you need for an artificial womb is to find a society that doesnt put a lot of stock in human rights, and to not get too picky about the artificial part.

Axlotl tanks are inevitable, too.

And you are 100% right that whatever emerges from these technologies will bear little resemblance to human society...
I see your Axlotl tank and raise you a Daemonculaba.

Daemonculaba - 1d4chan

iannis

Chairman Meow
<Donors Crew>
21d 15h 35m
Reactions
15,724 782 0 0
... and then they were force fed until they swelled to grotesque proportions, making them resemble your mother...

40k lore is the best lore.