Germany, Oktoberfest

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Rerolled,

I'm committed to going to Oktoberfest this year. Anyone have any tips?

I have yet to book anything. Just saved up a bunch of money. It will be me and my woman.

Things I want to do:
- Drink some beer
- See Oktoberfest
- See Germany
- Ride a train across the countryside

That's all I've got in mind right now. Its not until September but I'd like to start planning now.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yes, you did just miss it man but assuming you are serious....

-Are you going alone? If so my recommendations would shift slightly but not much
-It's a loooong day. Not sure if you are a raging alcoholic like myself, but it's real easy to get fucked up fast there when you are having fun
-Be prepared to start early
-If you've never been there(or to Germany) in general you will probably have more fun since it gives you more options to explore and do stuff then just sit in the tent alley all day
-If you are truly just interested in Oktoberfest get a hotel right there for at least one night. It will obviously cost more but being able to crawl home is awesome.....again if you are a raging alcoholic.

Anyway, here was my schedule. It's worth noting that I woke up in my hotel at 4am with no coat, cuts and scraps all over me and lost my favorite hat! From what I can tell I got a bit lost going home and got attacked by some bushed or trees.
I will skip anything not specifically related to Oktoberfest, you can probably figure out the rest of your days on your own.

-Wake up at the ass fuck of dawn, put on your Lederhosen and march your ass down to your favorite tent for 0830-0800 local time. They open at 0900 or 0930 I think, can't remember, but the lines will be long and you still will have a hard time getting a seat. I've been alone and in groups and even waiting in line ALONE it was tough to find a spot. If you have a group you are gonna have to be near the front of the line so think more like 0800, this is worse on a Fri/Sat/Sun
-For tents I recommend Hacker-Pschorr, Hofbrau, or Lowenbrau
-LEAVE AT 1200 or 1300. This means you'll have been drinking liter beers for about 4-5 hours. If you are like me that's 4-6 liters of beer, you'll be fucked up. They go down fast. When you leave stop drinking, go roam around the outside. There are rides, games, etc. Have a good time. Go on roller coasters drunk, flirt with girls, whatever. But take a breather. Eat shit, you'll need it.
-Make reservations(this part needs to be done WAY in advance) for one of the 3 tents listed above at 1800/1900 for the same day. Tents close around 2200 so this gives you another 3-4 hours of drinking during the night
-Go home, wake up and eat a hangover killer breakfast

I like doing it that way because it's simply impossible to stay in the tent all day if you drink with any regularity. Plus this method lets you see two tents which is always nice. It's a marathon man, take it easy. I usually have a pretty large crew but we don't start planning it this early. I'll necro the thread a few months out if you wanted to hang out with people and not be alone, assuming you're not an ass.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Glad the OP started this thread because the fiance and I plan on doing a week in Germany for Oktoberfest and a week in Italy next year for our honeymoon. Already took a ton of notes from the Italy thread, hopefully this one is as fruitful.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Oktoberfest is probably one of the most fun things I've been to. It's just an all around good time. There's 100,000 drunk Germans and tourists all crammed in there, and as far as I saw, not a single asshole causing problems. Everyone's just having a good time getting shitfaced, and no one seems to mind. Rangoth covered it pretty well. I only did it for two days when I was about 30, and that was probably enough.

There's a shit ton of other stuff to do and see while you're in Munich, as well. I really enjoyed the 6 days we spent there. The Deutsches Museum is worth a fully day by itself. Or very nearly, anyways. There's the BMW Welt, museum, and factory tour. We didn't see the museum, as we thought that's what the Welt was. You'll just be hanging out, checking out some really cool cars in the Welt, then all of the sudden some dude on a dirt bike will start doing burnouts in the middle of the place, riding it up a 2 story tall staircase, and shit like that. Dachau is worth seeing as well, just prepared to feel emotionally exhausted after. I'm sure there's a shit ton of other stuff, as well. Munich's one of best cities I've been to, for sure.

Also keep in mind that Prague is only about a 5-7 hour train ride from Munich, and also worth checking out. Not as much to do as in Munich I don't think, but still very worthwhile.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
In Bad D?rkheim the week before they have a winefest similar to Oktoberfest that is amazing also. It's a bit of distance from Munich but very close to Frankfurt so you could start out there and work your way to Munich. Just giving you the info so you can file it away if you like wine.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yup my bad. Meant Oktoberfest 2016.

@Rangoth I'll be with one other person. I'm not as big of a drinker as I used to be (but I like to get drunk and I can do it at Oktoberfest). Since its my first time to Germany I've had more than one person tell me I should go through a Travel Agent. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I think one marathon day at Oktoberfest would be all I can handle and then I'd like to get out to the countryside and see some cool shit.

@Eomer I wanted to spend a day at a museum while I was there. Especially in Munich. I've been to a lot of asian/middle-eastern countries. This would be my first time to a European country. Would you suggest a visit to Prague via train? One of the things I wanted to do was take a train ride across the country.

I wonder how the festival will be with the recent influx of Syrians? Its crossed my mind but I haven't put that much thought into it.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Make sure to sample marzipan!!

Not sure how the country has changed (some make it sound overran with muslim immigrants), but I lived there a few years as a child and went in high school like 2002. I think Octoberfest time may be a madhouse. In some ways I'd almost say go more christmas for kristkindle markt (spelling) God damn love me some liebkuchen and all the street vendors for that.

Granted the street food more summertime/oktoberfest is amazing. Skin on baked fish heavily salted served with wooden forks. Run across the border into Czeck republic for prague is a nice escape. Gotta love at the time 15cent pints of vodka and 75 cent amazing sausage inna bun w/ mustard. It has it's own good old castles and other old buildings etc. You might have a pimp proposition you with his woman. Fun stuff.

Back to Germany, I always hated the big towns, to me it felt just a mix of kinda a usa big city. Really awesome a lot of the mid size towns where theres fresh bakeries with amazing things in the morning. (Lieberkase and cheese on assorted breads, pastries you've never heard of. I loved in Deggendorf Turkish dude that had a kebap (gyro to us) stand. So much better there. The italian icecream is amazing too.

Some big tourist places, Salzburg, Lichtenstein castle. South east? you have bavaria/black forest. Have some really cool glass blowing stuff.

If I had 5k laying around, I'd be hard pressed deciding between 2 weeks in German or Taiwan again.

Excuse the jumbled mess, just a stream of thought outpouring of fond memories. Love the fucking food and beer. (Thank god colorado like craft brew central) Miss it.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yup my bad. Meant Oktoberfest 2016.

@Rangoth I'll be with one other person. I'm not as big of a drinker as I used to be (but I like to get drunk and I can do it at Oktoberfest). Since its my first time to Germany I've had more than one person tell me I should go through a Travel Agent. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I think one marathon day at Oktoberfest would be all I can handle and then I'd like to get out to the countryside and see some cool shit.

@Eomer I wanted to spend a day at a museum while I was there. Especially in Munich. I've been to a lot of asian/middle-eastern countries. This would be my first time to a European country. Would you suggest a visit to Prague via train? One of the things I wanted to do was take a train ride across the country.

I wonder how the festival will be with the recent influx of Syrians? Its crossed my mind but I haven't put that much thought into it.
I was there during the first phase of that migrant crisis. All political opinions aside Oktoberfest has tons and tons of police and the migrants were mostly hanging out around the train station(which is only about 5-10 blocks away), but overall did not seem to be causing any problems.

2016 is a good 9 months away so depending on how things escalate it could go either way, but in general this is a big money-maker for Germany and I believe they will control the tents area unless it's all out WW3 style riots.

Solariss

Golden Squire
Nice... I'm heading to Munich myself for Oktoberfest with a couple of other guys. We're doing 2 days in/around Salzburg, Austria then heading to Munich on the 17th for 5 days there. Then going to Amsterdam for 3 days and a long layover in Iceland on the way home.

I just found this out, but if you're at all into outdoorsy/hiking things, then Berchtesgaden and Berchtesgaden National Park is a couple hours away from Munich. The views look absolutely incredible. Also, Eagle's Nest (Hitler's Retreat) is in Berchtesgaden and worth a trip.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Are you doing the landmannalaugar trail in Iceland? I just did it last year, talk about some unique fucking landscapes and environments.

I won't go on and on about the beauty as anyone with google can figure it out, but the one thing, for whatever reason, that I remember is that there was not a single fucking bug on the entire trail...or in Iceland. Seriously, that country is void of insects. No mosquitoes or anything. I went to Sweden after and floated down the klaralven river and literally there were so many mosquitoes I could just swing my hand out and catch 50+. I slept in my bag with just my nose sticking out for air, so every morning when I woke up it looked like I had this giant mega zit right on the tip of my nose lol....

Solariss

Golden Squire
Are you doing the landmannalaugar trail in Iceland? I just did it last year, talk about some unique fucking landscapes and environments.

I won't go on and on about the beauty as anyone with google can figure it out, but the one thing, for whatever reason, that I remember is that there was not a single fucking bug on the entire trail...or in Iceland. Seriously, that country is void of insects. No mosquitoes or anything. I went to Sweden after and floated down the klaralven river and literally there were so many mosquitoes I could just swing my hand out and catch 50+. I slept in my bag with just my nose sticking out for air, so every morning when I woke up it looked like I had this giant mega zit right on the tip of my nose lol....
We have a 19 hour layover in Iceland before heading home, so not a whole lot of time to spend there. I'm assuming that won't be enough time to do it? I looked it up and it seems like a several day hike, but something I'd love to do. If it is near Reykjavik and a portion of it can be seen in that amount of time I'd definitely be interested. We weren't originally going to do Iceland, but my friend wanted to see Reykjavik, so we were able to fit in a short time there with the layover.

Also, is it necessary to wear a Lederhosen to Oktoberfest? I think I'd prefer not to as long as I don't stand out and look like an asshole for not, lol

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Also, is it necessary to wear a Lederhosen to Oktoberfest? I think I'd prefer not to as long as I don't stand out and look like an asshole for not, lol
My bud and I rolled around in Oilers jerseys for shits and giggles. Made for a good conversation starter and made each other easier to spot if we got lost in the crowds. No one gave a shit. The majority of people there, from what I recall, were not in traditional dress.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
We have a 19 hour layover in Iceland before heading home, so not a whole lot of time to spend there. I'm assuming that won't be enough time to do it? I looked it up and it seems like a several day hike, but something I'd love to do. If it is near Reykjavik and a portion of it can be seen in that amount of time I'd definitely be interested. We weren't originally going to do Iceland, but my friend wanted to see Reykjavik, so we were able to fit in a short time there with the layover.

If you only have 19 hours no you couldn't do it, it's a mutli-day hike.

Here is what I would recommend if you have that short of a layover:

-Obviously see Reykjavik, there is one small main street you can walk up and down in a few hours if that type of tourist shopping and stuff if your thing. There is also a pretty church there. It's pretty typical main street though, and it's the ONLY place in Reykjavik you'll want to go lol
-The Blue Lagoon hotsprings. Super touristy and commercialized, but again it's a quick trip with buses that take you right there from the city or from the airport etc. It's a giant hot spring with a little walk-up bar, mud baths etc. I thought it was pretty neat. If you like the idea of hotsprings, but don't want to go the touristy route there are many others that are nice too, just do your online research to find one. Usually it's only locals that will go to these ones, but a few others are "commercial" just less touristy.
-You can go see the waterfall strip, and probably hike a portion of it...from the Seljalandsfoss all the way to whatever that town in. Also a primary tourist spot, there are much prettier falls but they are a bit more out there....may be pushing it with only 1 day getting there and back. You'd be on a bus for 90% of your trip which may suck.
-They have a great public bus system that will take you anywhere, including the trailhead huts and stuff, like in Thorsmork or whatever it's called.
-I can't remember if you can do it in a short time frame, but you can also check out puffin island.

In general there are lots of shorter hikes you can do, but keep in mind most are a 2-4 hour bus ride from the airport/city. So between the bus there and back and your hike your entire day is shot and may be cutting it close even as the buses only run at certain times.

As far as germany and oktoberfest lederhosen...no it's not required at all. I didn't. However a LARGE number of people do. I thought it would just be a few locals or officiandos or something, but no, a majority of people wear them. I will be next time as well.

Samuell

Trakanon Raider
Be careful. Wearing Lederhosen might provoke Islamic fanatics into a frenzy of sexual assault.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Gonna be in Munich sept 8 thru 14 for a wedding. Prob gonna check out the weihenstephaner brewery for sure. Planning on going to Rome after that for a week but may switch that up if I'm going to miss prime oktoberfest time

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Update:

We were going to try and plan/organize the trip ourselves. We ended up going with anagencyinstead.

We've been planning since January so we're both excited about it.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just wanted to update that we're driving to Dallas tonight after work and catching a flight into Frankfurt tomorrow. Will be in Germany until Oct 2nd.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user