Ghostbusters : Afterlife

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cybsled

Trailer tone was intentional...they wanted the Stranger Things vibe I bet.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
I mean you know at least one of the boys are going to be back as a ghost. Pretty sure there will be funny.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't know if it'll be good but it looks better than anything I was ever expecting to get.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Damn, that looks solid.

Starts out super serious, like a real ghost movie. Thats a huge part of what people miss about ghostbusters. they think its a comedy, when its not really. Library scene is terrifying, and it sets the tone. The jokes and camp can work after that. but would fall completely flat without it. Its where 2 fails. Even the evil stuff is too campy, and the tone is not properly set.
you guys are out of your minds, if you think the comedy was the #1 deal with Ghostbusters.

"how do we live up to the perfect movie, and wash away the filth and bad blood of the last entries?" "uh, lets mix it with Goonies" well ok.
Its what the 80s would do. The 80s way is hardly ever wrong. There are serious scenes in OT Ghostbusters, but its majority comedy. GB2 was more serious, like the funny parts were more forced. The baby oscar shit ruined a lot. The GB crew ending 1 as heroes and then starting 2 as losers again also hurt the movie. But mainly baby Oscar.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm confident Paul Rudd will bring the funny. Looks promising though. Plus that was Murray doing the voice over during the end of the trailer, yes? He's never let me down.

Edit: Ok listening closely that was prolly just the same recording of the line he did in GB1 but i'm still hopeful.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was wondering if that was Paul Rudd, he'll definitely bring in the comedy.

Cybsled

detail I didn’t notice until pointed out.

The old mine they visit is called Shandor and was established in the 20s. Shandor as in Cult of Gozer and he started that in the 20s. Explains the gozer dog leg we see and why Egon would have been in that town.

spronk

FPS noob
i do like that none of the OG cast shows up in the trailer even tho i'm 99% sure most (all? well... not Egon... damn...) will show up

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm confident Paul Rudd will bring the funny. Looks promising though. Plus that was Murray doing the voice over during the end of the trailer, yes? He's never let me down.

Edit: Ok listening closely that was prolly just the same recording of the line he did in GB1 but i'm still hopeful.

Just going off memory here but I feel like the line delivery is different. I think it may be old Murray delivering that line now.

Cybsled

i do like that none of the OG cast shows up in the trailer even tho i'm 99% sure most (all? well... not Egon... damn...) will show up

Ya, they are keeping that close to the vest. Janine is probably the grandmother, she gives the kids some additional info at some point/let’s them know about slimer (he shows up no doubt at some point). Egon probably found the Shandor mine and realized it could bring Gozer back, so the OG go in a vanish/die/whatever and come back as ghosts later (or maybe got turned into gozer dogs). Bonus points if Egon’s grand daughter’s missing dad ends up being Dana’s kid from GB2.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
original GB trailer looked funny to me.
almost as if they were trying to convey that it was a comedy.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
giphy.gif

• 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
You can see slimer (least it looks like him) in the car chase scene of the trailer, so that's a positive.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This looks like a cross between an 80s Spielberg film and Ghostbusters. Which I'm fine with.

• 3Like
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 3 users

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Felt more like a Stranger Things version of Ghostbusters which isn't the worst thing in the world. You know there's going to be some comedy behind it but as a 1st trailer, it's a good start.

• 2Like
  • 1Cringe

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
my favorite part about the trailer, is that everyone's forgotten what ghostbusters are. the reference point they have for "no one told you about this?" was the 80's. meaning, they have effectively and completely ignored the girlbusters. so that's pretty great

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Theres a netflix series called "The Movies That Made Us" and theres an episode on the first Ghostbusters. Worth a watch if you were a Ghostbusters addict like I was.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
my favorite part about the trailer, is that everyone's forgotten what ghostbusters are. the reference point they have for "no one told you about this?" was the 80's. meaning, they have effectively and completely ignored the girlbusters. so that's pretty great

They were supposed to start their own universe, where the OG movies didnt exist. However, it is now it the same place as the Dark Universe movies and we are back to the OG boys.

As for the trailer not being funny, I'm fine with that for a trailer one. Even the OG trailer Chuk posted isn't a laugh a second. A big part of what made the movie work was everyone in that movie who wasnt a Ghostbuster or Rick Moranis played it 100% straight. The movie was serious, the situation was dire and our heroes were shlubs. It was a perfect storm of dry wit and satire juxtaposed against the serious situation. Writing that again today would be near impossible. Writing it for GB2 was impossible and everyone involved in 1 was still alive.

Giving us a summer movie with action and paul rudd and stranger things is a recipe for a good movie. Expecting them to recreate GB1 with a new cast 35 years later is folly and setting yourself up to be disappointed. Respecting the IP doesn't mean recreating what we've already seen.

• 3Like