Godless

spronk

FPS noob
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Godless

Genre: Western

First aired: 2017-11-22

Creator: Steven Soderbergh

Cast: Jack O'Connell, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Michelle Dockery, Kim Coates, Jeff Daniels, Merritt Wever, Jeremy Bobb, Scoot McNairy, Jessica Sula, Russell G. Jones, Tantoo Cardinal, Julian Grey, Sam Waterston, Samuel Marty, Marceline Hugot, Samantha Soule, Matthew Dennis Lewis, Russell Dennis Lewis, Christiane Seidel, Kayli Carter, Justin Welborn, Rio Alexander, Brian Lee Franklin, Whitney Able, Travis Hammer, Keith Jardine, Joe Pingue, Adam David Thompson, Luke Robertson, Erik LaRay Harvey, Rob Morgan, Randy Oglesby, Courtney Cunningham, Jack McGraw, Audrey Moore, Tess Frazer, Elisa Perry, Melissa Chambers, Michael Earl Reid, Marie Wagenman, Julian Grey, Mathew Greer, Mathew Greer, Griffin Kane, Ali Agirnas, Donald Cerrone, Rachel de la Torre, Joleen Baughman, Marianna Gallegos, Evan Bryan Graves, Chad Dashnaw

Overview: A ruthless outlaw terrorizes the West in search of a former member of his gang, who’s found a new life in a quiet town populated only by women.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob

6 Episodes on Netflix, all releasing Nov 22nd

Frank Griffin, an outlaw terrorizing the 1880s American West, hunts down Roy Goode, his partner turned enemy. Roy hides out at a ranch as Frank's chase leads him to La Belle, New Mexico - a town mysteriously made up entirely of women.

Dolores from Westworld? Red Dead Redemption 3: Girls World?

Love me some Westerns, this one is kinda weird but looks interesting. Weirdly enough the women I know who might be interested in watching a female-driven show would be very turned off by the violence in the show, so I wonder who the show is targeting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
[SERIES][TVPOSTER]
ePOD0ofGWFDTbZR84QhM7kpYMPX.jpg
[/TVPOSTER][SERIESWRAP][EPISODENAME]Godless[/EPISODENAME]

Genre: [GENRE]Western[/GENRE]

First Aired: [RELEASE]2017-11-22[/RELEASE]

Overview: [PLOT]Frank Griffin's gang terrorizes the West as they hunt Roy Goode. The chase leads to the quiet town of La Belle, mysteriously made up entirely of women.[/PLOT][/SERIESWRAP][/SERIES]

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2 episodes in, it's pretty good. It's not really female-driven though.

• 1Like

SeanDoe1z1

2 episodes in, it's pretty good. It's not really female-driven though.

That's a positive honestly, tropes are annoying and detract from immersion. Production value looks great and good cast. Hopefully a sleeper, will watch.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Just finished the first 2 episodes as well and I'm digging it so far. They marketed it very strangely because it's nothing like the previews make it seem. At least not so far. It's closer to Deadwood than the actual trailers. Mining towns and maniacs.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Just finished the series and I thought it was good. Good story, good acting, good characters. The last 2 episodes are especially good.

Well outside of the one part of the final gunfight scene where the camera work gets wonky. The scene starts off great (almost iconic actually) and then in the middle they do some weird sped up camera work (like the fight scenes in Marvel's Defenders) followed by a really strange and rather pointless slow-mo scene. Presumably the sped up camera is to cover for the fact that they have a bunch of untrained women shooting guns at 30 very well trained men and are holding their own. Gotta speed up the action on the women because they aren't reloading or firing as fast as the director wanted it to seem I'm sure. The last half of the scene gets good again though.

One puzzling thing is the tagline Netflix chose for this series and also the very misleading trailer.

Tagline reads "Frank Griffin's gang terrorizes the West as they hunt Roy Goode. The chase leads to the quiet town of La Belle, mysteriously made up entirely of women." First part is very accurate, Frank Griffin is indeed hunting Roy Goode. The second tagline is pure nonsense. The town is not made up entirely of women, there are some men there including a sheriff and a deputy. And there is no mystery as to why there are so many women in the town. In fact it's explained rather reasonably in the very first episode.

As for the trailer it makes it seem like it's a town of hard ass women who hate men and shoot on sight. There is precisely one hard woman in the entire town who coincidentally is the only woman you see in the trailers acting like a badass. The rest of the women are practically gagging for a man to come stick a cock down their throat.

I would definitely recommend watching this. It's a good western drama with good comic relief in a vein similar to Deadwood.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've watched Godless with the "western TV show with Jeff Daniels" trend, I didn't really watch trailers / marketing / reviews and it's sometimes good being totally surprised about some low profile TV show. Godless is great, it has good everything, from actors to story and writing. The "muh womyn frontier tv show" and "let me explain everything" campaign everywhere explaing the plot definitely badly deserved this show.

Good frontier TV shows (western, wild west, whatever really) are rare, we had Deadwood and on some lower level Hell on Wheels, it's always refreshing when this topic gets on screen. I'm not saying Godless is stellar, but it's definitely on the 2017 must watch list with shows like Mindhunter, especially in an industry ruled by capeshit, procedural cop shows and generic sitcoms.

• 2Like

Argarth

On the verandah
Sat down to watch an episode or two, ended up binge watching the entire thing. The cinematography was superb, special mention for the way flashbacks were handled.

What a beautiful slow burn. Really felt like I knew several of the characters personally by the end of it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It was fine if you don't mind a simple and predictable western full of recoilless guns, villains who don't value their lives at all, somewhat bland characters preforming in stock roles and a lesbian love spat to meet the gay quota. It was really just a 2 episode experience plot wise; the other 5 were just looks into the lives of characters that just weren't very intriguing or sympathetic beyond: townies (good) bandits (bad) and to build up a minor love affair. But I do agree that it did have pretty scenery at times.

If you want a more complex, recent western experience check out The Son.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Well-acted but I think this was just OK. The last episode was really lame. The whole stand out in the open with guns blazing but somehow never die got really old. Especially when all these people are supposedly sharpshooters.

• 2Like

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
A week after watching this and I'm still laughing about Jojen.

All of that wasted character development and screen time. *thunk*

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Open the door all dramatic, thwack, that's that! Scene got an out loud laugh. What a waste of a character, just like my time watching this.....as I watch the walking dead.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Khane

Were you guys really not expecting that to happen? His whole character was built around him being a well-meaning buffoon.

• 2Like

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I was expecting anything redeeming...maybe him taking out a few people before getting his ticket punched.

I mean they owed us after all the useless fiddle side story.

• 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finally got around to watching this. Just excellent. Wish Netflix would do more stuff like this, 90 percent of their homegrown shows are trash.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
Thoroughly enjoyed it.

The chubby lesbian had all of the best lines. 'You think you're lucky? Whitey, I hate to break it to you, but your clover don't exactly run deep.'

Glad it had a 'realistic' ending too and not a Hollywood type.

• 1Like

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
I just finished watching this and loved it. Jeff Daniels was freaking awesome.

• 1Solidarity
TV show information provided by The Movie Database