Golden age of Television?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Lithose: People had VCR before they got Tivo, but the point still has some merit. I don't remember taping a TV show episode.

Astro: How is South Park a sitcom though? Even if we remove the notion that it should be done with multi camera in front of a live audience, a core element is the limited number of main locations... is that really the case with South Park?
its not a friends/seinfeld kind of sitcom, but the majority of the show has taken place in familiar locations around south park. i dunno if an animated show can be considered a sitcom, but i think south park would qualify.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
We mentioned the rise of cable and non traditional TV, and the bringing of top movie talent into shows.
(Previously it was thought Taboo for a movie actor of the 50's-70's to start on TV, sure some did it but it was considered a kiss of death)

It also seems that most of the shows we (and I) have mentioned have been dramas. (A few comedy exceptions)

The best time for traditional sit-coms 1980-1999 or 1960-1979?

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
The old school 4:3 aspect ratio, lo-def TV was only ever going to look as good as it could, it just wouldn't have been worth throwing more money at. It was always going to be a poorer cousin to cinema.

Lower budget across the board, wasn't going to attract good talent, in front and behind the camera.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
This became a subject on another dedicated TV show thread and I did not want to derail, so I will open up the discussion here.

Many (including myself) will say that 1999-current is the "Golden Age" of television.
Agreed. TV has gotten so good, that it has curtailed my movie watching. I don't think I watched more than ten movies last year. There's just so much more character development to be had with full seasons.