Game Streaming Services - Stadia, Geforce Now, xCloud, PS Now

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Haven't tried it---what can cause the local spike?

Also, if you are living in an older building(one that hasn't been renovated for say like the past 10years) power lines can cause issues, as well as Refrigators/Microwaves(bad grounding throughout house)..

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm not the target audience but I've seen several articles and videos of people questioning what is the actual target audience. Everyone seems to be grasping at straws at this point.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm not the target audience but I've seen several articles and videos of people questioning what is the actual target audience. Everyone seems to be grasping at straws at this point.

I will absolutely try this. I travel quite a bit and being able to play top notch games from my company laptop instead of watching SportsCenter on endless loop sounds amazing. Give me that experience.

It's why I enjoy my Switch so much.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This is what happens when service providers try to drive change based on their own profit make up rather than customer demand and injecting fake customer demand.

Complete confusion, horrible deployment, and not thinking of the reasons why people will NOT migrate to a service such as this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiki

Log Wizard
Bandwidth is only the speed you reach your cap. A cap has nothing to do with your bandwidth, it's only your shitty ISP wanting more money. 'All' is relative, I have 1gig/1gig with no caps.

Sure a cap could be the issue if you have stupid shit like that, but you won't even reach your cap if the experience is so horrible due to lag that you don't want to even use it.

Generally, an ISP doesn't 'buy' more internet on the 1st than the 31st. We oversubscribe everyone, and pay for fixed bandwidth interconnects through the entire month. It would seriously be a pain to turn up and down circuits based on bandwidth usage or be charged via a meter. If we were to add caps, it would purely be for profit as we have to buy the bandwidth regardless on the 1st before you are even near your cap and our interconnects only charge us for speed, not data usage.

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I will absolutely try this. I travel quite a bit and being able to play top notch games from my company laptop instead of watching SportsCenter on endless loop sounds amazing. Give me that experience.

It's why I enjoy my Switch so much.

Do you think shitty hotel internet will support this stuff well? I think that even for the niche who travels a lot and doesnt want to lug around a gaming pc rig or something this won't work out. Trying Stadia at Starbucks will probably leave you with having a shitty time.

Wish I was wrong.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Bandwidth is only the speed you reach your cap. A cap has nothing to do with your bandwidth, it's only your shitty ISP wanting more money. 'All' is relative, I have 1gig/1gig with no caps.

Sure a cap could be the issue if you have stupid shit like that, but you won't even reach your cap if the experience is so horrible due to lag that you don't want to even use it.

Generally, an ISP doesn't 'buy' more internet on the 1st than the 31st. We oversubscribe everyone, and pay for fixed bandwidth interconnects through the entire month. It would seriously be a pain to turn up and down circuits based on bandwidth usage or be charged via a meter. If we were to add caps, it would purely be for profit as we have to buy the bandwidth regardless on the 1st before you are even near your cap and our interconnects only charge us for speed, not data usage.

True.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Do you think shitty hotel internet will support this stuff well? I think that even for the niche who travels a lot and doesnt want to lug around a gaming pc rig or something this won't work out. Trying Stadia at Starbucks will probably leave you with having a shitty time.

Wish I was wrong.

You'll get better internet tethered to your cellphone than hotel wifi in my experience.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
All accounts are the latency isn't bad at all, on all sorts of connections. I mean a bunch of us played Assassins Creed Odyssey on our home PCs earlier this year and I had zero problems with it, and that was over chrome browser with KBM or native controllers. I tried it on a laptop at Starbucks wifi and had zero issues as well. That was however at 1080p and 30 fps.

There are definitely interesting things Stadia COULD do. By pushing input out to the front but keeping EVERYTHING else in a central datacenter, they could do insane stuff with massive games. Forget 100 player battle royales or sharded MMOs, they can support 10,000 player battle royales or unsharded, infinite world MMOs because there is no more p2p AT ALL, everything can run inside their datacenter with sub 1ms latency for all server-side computations. Thats insane.

The latency will also be diminished with the stadia controller, since that directly talks to "your" stadia server bypassing the extra latency of your PC/phone/etc. So it should even be better with that (none of us tested that with ACO).

But yeah I think its a huge grasp trying to figure WHO this is for as it stands. Who the fuck cares about playing 2 year old games, streamed? There are zero games that are "big dick" mode right now, doing things no console can do. Google made a huge mistake not at least making ONE big dick game that only Stadia could do, like 10,000 player Fortnite or single shard WoW classic or something like that. Until that one game comes out (and it may never come out) then stadia is just treading water and appealing to a super niche group of players who wanna occasionally play games anywhere and have the money to not give a shit about triple-dipping on paid games.

Its essentially buying a second phone just to play games when you travel on summer vacation.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
That's good. I'm just seeing these numbers of 80-200 ms and that seems insane to me. I read one article where they simulated 100ms at some convention and it played like ass. It seems to have improved massively at least.

The real test is to play a fps or a moba on it.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I tried it on a laptop at Starbucks wifi and had zero issues as well.
Maybe you are an exception but i have real trouble believing you played a streamed video game for a length of time over a free wifi without any issues. All the planets must have lined up and you must have been the only user on the wifi for that to happen but even with all of that one jackass walking past you or a microwave firing up in your vicinity could have fucked up your wifi latency enough to be noticeable.

Siliconemelons

Did we discuss this earlier on what tech they are using?

If they are using PCOIP based tech, or a customization of it (like their AMD cards are custom vs whats avail to buy in the VDI community) - then yes, you can get great performance on essentially no bandwidth.

PCOIP is very resistant to throttling because it really does not "do much" and is actually a small stream... your PCOIP game/desktop is going to do less traffic than watching youtube.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

Wish I was wrong.

Maybe, but the WiFi is usually pretty damn good at a Marriott or a Hyatt. I'm not slumming it at a Motel 6 or Travelodge when I travel. Not saying I'm going to be a Day 1 subscriber or anything, but I'm still intrigued by the tech.

Even now I have a few hours to kill before a client dinner while out of town and I'm posted up in a WeWork (have a membership). Wouldn't mind getting some gaming in while trying to kill time.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider

Wish I was wrong.

I've seen better internet at some hotels than I had at home. Last time I was in El Paso, TX before I deployed to my current shithole, my hotel wifi was pulling down 235Mb/sec on Steam installs.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I travel a lot like Alex Alex and most of the time I stay in Hilton's and get their free premium internet which clocks in at a whopping 10 down. Forget what Stadia said was recommended specs?

But I find gems as well, and remember that shit like this hotel I'm currently staying at in Salem OR. Best Western plus and its giving me 75-100 down, typical shitty upload, but could easily stream on this. Of course not the norm, but nice when you can find it.