Great 4x games?

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Currently have an itch to play a modern 4x game. The last one I really enjoyed was Civ4.

Currently have Stella's, but I guess I am missing something as I don't find it very fun.

Saw a new game that is supposedly a cross of Civ and CK called Old World that looks interesting.

Any here have any favorite 4x games that relatively newer and that they could recommend?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Currently have an itch to play a modern 4x game. The last one I really enjoyed was Civ4.

Currently have Stella's, but I guess I am missing something as I don't find it very fun.

Saw a new game that is supposedly a cross of Civ and CK called Old World that looks interesting.

Any here have any favorite 4x games that relatively newer and that they could recommend?
1625783160714.png

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Civ VI is solid.
Distant Worlds: Universe is Stellaris on steroids.
Dominions 3 is solid.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I think I still like Civ V a tad better than VI but still had a lot of fun with VI and districts are a neat addition. Old World is a new one that’s popped up and then there’s also Humankind which I think takes things in a little different direction than other 4x games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Civ VI is solid.
Distant Worlds: Universe is Stellaris on steroids.
Dominions 3 is solid.

Distant Worlds and Dominions 3 are great, and I have easily spent 100+ hours in both (Dom3 mods probably took it to 500+ hours).

I don't know how old "relatively newer" is though. So, Dominions 5 is probably as good as Dom 3, with some improved mechanics, and it came out in 2017 (for a newer Dom game).

That said, there haven't been that many great 4x games in the last ~5 years that I can recall.

Looking at steam I only see a few in the last 10 years:

Great:
Age of Wonders 3​
Distant Worlds: Universe​
Dominions 3/4/5​
Good:
Civilization 6 - I've spent a decent chunk of time with it, but as long as they keep a leash on modders, no Civ game will be as good as Civ 4.​
Galactic Civilizations 3 - had a bad start, but Stardock powered through. I played it after ~1.5 years of patching, it was pretty good. They have had a few more updates since then.​
Honorable mentions:
Total War: Warhammer 2 (and 1) - Is it 4X? Kinda... Maybe... it might scratch that itch​

• 3Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I played Old World a bunch and would consider it pretty good.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I recommend Endless Legend. It requires a bit more micromanagement when it comes to units than a game like Civ, but it's a fantastic game with a great fantasy aesthetic and the cleanest UI you will ever see in a 4x game.

• 2Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Old World and Humankind are the two newer ones that I'd keep an eye on.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I recommend Endless Legend. It requires a bit more micromanagement when it comes to units than a game like Civ, but it's a fantastic game with a great fantasy aesthetic and the cleanest UI you will ever see in a 4x game.

In general I’m not a big fan of these types of games, but for whatever reason, Endless Legend really appealed to me.

4F2901AD-CB71-4728-BCFB-471CF7DC16D3.jpeg

• 3Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Nothing has ever beat Master of Magic for me.

480BEE84-8717-401F-8408-96FCE8E604E5.gif
95758526-FE16-4E27-96ED-C68039D5A0F2.jpeg
A387CE9C-A465-444F-864B-E21F3E05FA13.gif

• 6Like
  • 5Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 11 users

Burns

Slitherine bought Master of Magic about 8 to 9 months ago and employed some modder (didn't even know there was a mod for it) to continue and expand on the mod (the Caster of Magic mod (that they would release on steam)). I think they (Slitherine) said they are going to take a stab at a true successor to it as well.

I found, and played the free mod (from before the Slitherine deal), after I read that press release. It made some good additions to AI and balance; I played 3 or 4 full games with it.

Now the modder dude has been working on it full time and released a bunch of changes. I haven't played it, but a bigger map with up to 13 enemy mages and more spells sounds good.

It was released in April, so it's technically new!

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Slitherine bought Master of Magic about 8 to 9 months ago and employed some modder (didn't even know there was a mod for it) to continue and expand on the mod (the Caster of Magic mod (that they would release on steam)). I think they (Slitherine) said they are going to take a stab at a true successor to it as well.

I found, and played the free mod (from before the Slitherine deal), after I read that press release. It made some good additions to AI and balance; I played 3 or 4 full games with it.

Now the modder dude has been working on it full time and released a bunch of changes. I haven't played it, but a bigger map with up to 13 enemy mages more spells sounds good.

Didn’t know about this. Going to buy a copy for me and one for my dad. We both used to play this together, hot seat.

I have an emulator for it and even bought the physical again just to have the book and box. It still holds up well.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Now the modder dude has been working on it full time and released a bunch of changes. I haven't played it, but a bigger map with up to 13 enemy mages and more spells sounds good.

Well that was disappointing. Had four unhandled exception crashes in under a half hour of play. Refunded it but maybe I’ll give it another go some day in the future. Good to know it exists at least.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider

I’m not sure if this is considered 4x or not but ive been playing the hell out of battle brothers lately while waiting on the next total war warhammer 2 DLC. Great game, very challenging. I would recommend all the DLC, it all adds a lot to the game.

• 1Like

Burns

Well that was disappointing. Had four unhandled exception crashes in under a half hour of play. Refunded it but maybe I’ll give it another go some day in the future. Good to know it exists at least.

That's unfortunate, I didn't have any issues with the old mod and the GoG edition of MoM.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am giving a hearty second recommendation for Age of Wonders 3. It is such a great game and I haven't met one person who played it and didn't love it.

I am not sure if Battle Brothers is really what you are looking for but it was mentioned and it is another fantastic game.

velk

Trakanon Raider
If you can get past the trash tier graphics, I can strongly recommend Deity Empires, I got a lot of playtime and enjoyment out of that one.

Great fodder for the relentless min-maxer, with even ordinary troops being able to level up in interesting ways and use equipment, along with various tiers of heroes that are full-on RPG fodder with 16 equipment slots, skill trees etc.

Concept wise it's pretty much Master of Magic, just with more stuff.