Great deal on LG CX 65" OLED TV this month $1850

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
feel free to cross post to the tech forum, but there is a great deal on LG OLED TVs this month. Its $1850 at Costco starting today till 11/22

Its the same price at Best Buy as well for any my best buy member (free membership)

Its also $1900 at Amazon
www.amazon.com/LG-OLED65CXPUA-Alexa-Built-Ultra/dp/B0817H41YN

Also the 77" is $3500 at Best Buy

Costco's extended warranty does not cover burnin afaik, while Best Buy's extended warranty (you can buy up to 5 years... but $400) does. For what its worth I have a 2017 LG OLED thats been on around 7000 hours (~8 hours/day) and has no burn in issues at all playing console games or TV/movies. All LG OLEDs show you how long they have been on in general info, also all have built in systems to prevent burn in by doing pixel rotation type stuff.

The CX LG OLED does 4k 120hz HDMI 2.1 which is 100% compatible with PS5, Xbox Series X, and 30x0 cards HDMI 2.1 output. It also does gSync with PC monitors and VRR (basically gsync/freesync) with next gen consoles.

Its an amazing TV and if you've got the money, well worth it for any gamer or movie/TV enthusiast.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I really want to get this but at the same time I can’t really justify it. Our living room tv is a really old Sony but we don’t use it for anything more than streaming kid shows.

The TV that we have that’s hooked up to consoles and everything is quite a bit more recent (Samsung KS8500) and still looks really good, obviously not as good as this but still hard to argue it needs to be replaced.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
I've got a 2017 LG OLED as well and consider it one of my best A/V purchases ever. I'd say it's an 80/20 split in usage for games/movies and no burn in either. If I wasn't planning on building a new PC I might of pulled the trigger for the 120 refresh rate with Gysnc. One other big feature is it supports Dolby Vision in addition to HDR10. I think all of Netflix's exclusives and all Disney+ 4k's are streamed in DV and there are quite a few DV physical dics out there but not as many as I would like or they are weird UK only releases like Fifth Element.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
My LG B7 has mad burn-in. Be careful when using it. The picture is definitely very pretty, though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I got the 2017 model back in the day for $1700 by getting my credit card to price match one of those fell off the truck shady websites after ordering it from Amazon.

They promptly restricted me to $200 max per item shortly after =O. It's a great TV used regularly for pc/console/movies and no burn in issues at all.

Very tempted to get this one and banish the old one to the living room.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
My LG B7 has mad burn-in. Be careful when using it. The picture is definitely very pretty, though.
I have an OLED LG and have the same issue. Not sure what model it is off the top of my head but its 2-3 years old. I left the TV on over night at the loading screen of a video game I was playing and now there is bad burn in at one of the corners. Great TV and amazing picture as you said just need to be attentive and protect the screen.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Pulled the trigger on this and a couple more of the new Chromecasts

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I have an OLED LG and have the same issue. Not sure what model it is off the top of my head but its 2-3 years old. I left the TV on over night at the loading screen of a video game I was playing and now there is bad burn in at one of the corners. Great TV and amazing picture as you said just need to be attentive and protect the screen.
Basically the reason I won't touch OLED. I had the Fox News ticker burnt into my old plasma and it annoyed the fuck out of me. I'm sure that'd be the same thing with this. Hopefully the microLED tech gets here soon.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks, I don't frequent the tech forum and I am in the market for something newer and bigger but haven't done a ton of research yet. I was going to wait and see if there was anything better from Costco after Black Friday.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pulled the trigger on this and a couple more of the new Chromecasts
I may have asked this before but why in love with ChromeCasts? You have to use another device to cast it to the Chromecast right? So you have to utilize 2 devices instead of just a smart app on the TV or a roku? It always seemed weird to me that I'd have to use another smart device instead of just using what the TV already had built in.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I may have asked this before but why in love with ChromeCasts? You have to use another device to cast it to the Chromecast right? So you have to utilize 2 devices instead of just a smart app on the TV or a roku? It always seemed weird to me that I'd have to use another smart device instead of just using what the TV already had built in.
The latest version added a very nice UI aggregating content from multiple services and a remote.

Crone

The latest version added a very nice UI aggregating content from multiple services and a remote.
So your phone has a nice ui with aggregated content and it casts the whole thing to the TV? Do you point the remote at your TV or your phone?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I heard burn in issues with this tech are real. Its like 10 step forward in picture quality (seriously its that good) but 2 steps back with the burn in issues of early 2K and plasmas and some LCD.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
So your phone has a nice ui with aggregated content and it casts the whole thing to the TV? Do you point the remote at your TV or your phone?
It doesn't, though. The new Android TV stuff lets you create a watchlist that surfaces content from the services you designate. So I have a watchlist with Disney+, HBOMax and other services and it knows what's in my library in those services without me having to go browse them individually. We also use Youtube TV, so additional synergy there.

The experience is closer to what they tried to do with the Logitech Revue way back when, but it was ultimately too slow and buggy.

1603915055776.png

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've got the 2016 LG 55'' curved 4K OLED. Got it during the (temporary?) craze for curved flatscreens. It is by FAR the best TV I've ever owned, and annihilates my 55'' Sony 4K and 47'' Samsung 1080p in picture quality. I don't need another TV any time soon but if I did I'd probably spring for this. I can confirm that LG makes really freaking good TVs. I haven't had any burn-in issues at all with mine. Just make sure you get one that supports HDR10. Believe it or not some HDTVs don't, still. A TV with HDR10 will look vastly better than one without and the price difference isn't much.

In any case, yeah, I recommend LG 4K OLEDs over any other TV. 55'' seems to be the sweet spot for gaming without losing resolution, at least on current-gen (maybe PS5 will lose nothing on 65'', don't know, but PS4 does lose res past 55'').

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
you can play this on your LG to see if you have burn in issues, you should see it smoothly shift colors without any ghosted images sitting behind the color wall. Normally I don't see anything, its kinda hard to tell with the yellow screen if there are some squares (not sure from what?) or if I am imagining things. I definitely forgot to blink at some point and started seeing weird things until I realized its just my old ass eyes lol

The costco deal includes a $100 squaretrade warranty and $100 hulu credit free too so its pretty damn good, if you have a costco visa it doubles the warranty to 3 or 4 years too and Squaretrade is added to that. We'll see the 2021 models announced probably at CES (Jan 2021) with shipping starting in April or so, so its a pretty decent cutting edge curve.

Crone

It doesn't, though. The new Android TV stuff lets you create a watchlist that surfaces content from the services you designate. So I have a watchlist with Disney+, HBOMax and other services and it knows what's in my library in those services without me having to go browse them individually. We also use Youtube TV, so additional synergy there.

The experience is closer to what they tried to do with the Logitech Revue way back when, but it was ultimately too slow and buggy.

View attachment 313170
That looks extremely convenient, and yet I still think it's dumb AF that they still require you to use your phone first, or another smart device to "cast" to the TV first. This was neat when every app everywhere didn't let you cast to your SmartTV. It's no longer required to have Chromecast to do that, and Google just never adapted or updated. Casting a Youtube video is sometimes convenient so I don't have to bother with searching and finding it via the TV's remote, but outside of that, casting is useless.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
That looks extremely convenient, and yet I still think it's dumb AF that they still require you to use your phone first, or another smart device to "cast" to the TV first. This was neat when every app everywhere didn't let you cast to your SmartTV. It's no longer required to have Chromecast to do that, and Google just never adapted or updated. Casting a Youtube video is sometimes convenient so I don't have to bother with searching and finding it via the TV's remote, but outside of that, casting is useless.

This latest version also has a remote, but the kids still mostly just play things using the smart speakers.

1603924287434.png