Grey Goo

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
One of the most interesting things I saw at PAXEast this year was Grey Goo. I was holding off posting anything about it that day because there was pretty much ZERO useful media or information on their website :Grey Goo - Welcome to Grey Gooand there STILL isnt a hell of a lot. They had looping videos at the booth showcasing the different units plus a fairly nicely polished playable version of the game running on a large number of machines...so I was astounded when there was jack shit at their site.

Here at least is some gameplay footage they've uploaded

Which doesn't tell you much since the screen is out of focus, but you get the general gist of this being an RTS and one where they are trying to devote much more attention to strategy and tactics and much less to micromanagement and needing actions per second that would make Barry Allen jealous. I watched a couple matches being played with the two races they had at the show (Humans and the Beta) and was rather intrigued.

IGN wrote up a nice piece :Grey Goo: A Terrifying Concept with Interesting RTS Armies - IGNthat has a bit more to say about the Grey Goo faction itself, but other than this the whole thing seems to be flying under the radar.

EDIT: Here's a Gamespot video of the demo made at PAX they had on their twitter feed.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Looks like a real next gen RTS. Starcraft 2 was just a remake
frown.png

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
So this crept completely under the radar from my perspective after I saw it at PAX... and now it is released next week!

Here is their launch trailer:

Caliane

TB streamed some of it. Someone then rehosted vid of the stream.

Questionable legality on NDA's and embargos...

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That UI reminds me of classic EQ, good lord people it's 2015...minimal = good

Zionmaster_sl

shitlord
Wow not sure how I didn't know about this but I'm actually pretty hyped. Been wanting to play a new rts and sc2 doesn't do it for me so definitely interested in this. Kind of glad I didn't know about it because waiting for it would have sucked.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
They finally put a price to it and it's going for $49.99. Seems a bit steep for a title with zero marketing or buzz. I'll wait for a Steam sale.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Disclosure; RTS is not my preferred genre and I'm not very hardcore with them, ymmv.

Gave this a whirl the past two or three nights and can't say that I enjoy it. Probably 8 missions or so in and nothing seems revolutionary, impressive, or, well anything outside of a normal RTS. Even the missions are pretty copypasta from all the previous games ranging from: protect your base until reinforcements arrive, protect your base until we gather enough resources, we need to build a bigger base and eliminate X threat. I only point it out because of some of the developer interviews talking about this genre redefining RTS 2.0.

Performance wise it also seems underwhelming. Doesn't feel smooth and fluid even though the FPS are generally high. The build trees and resource management, at least through the Beta campaign, were meh. Their implementation of build hotkeys didn't come off as any more efficient or better than the old standard.

Not sure it is worth the $50, for me at least. I'll probably try to find a trainer and play through the story just to see what it is all about.

Zionmaster_sl

shitlord
So is this worth 50 bucks or should we wait?
I would wait. Although I enjoy it I honestly feel it should have been 30 maybe 40 bucks at the most. 50 is just way too much for this game. It's a good solid rts but there is no "omg this is amazing!" moments in this game that would make me feel its worth 50.

sebur

Bronze Squire
I actually enjoyed it when I played it at PAX South, but maybe that is because I smashed on my friend with the goo while he was playing some scrub humans.