a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 2 Votes
Title: Hackers (1995)

Tagline: Their crime is curiosity.

Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller, Drama

Director: Iain Softley

Cast: Jonny Lee Miller, Angelina Jolie, Jesse Bradford, Matthew Lillard, Renoly Santiago, Fisher Stevens, Alberta Watson, Lorraine Bracco, Laurence Mason, Wendell Pierce, Michael Gaston, Marc Anthony, Penn Jillette, Peter Y. Kim, Darren Lee, Liza Walker, Bob Sessions, Ethan Browne, Blake Willett, Max Ligosh, Felicity Huffman, Paul Klementowicz, Richard Ziman, William DeMeo, Denise George, Johnny Myers, Kevin Brewerton, Sam Douglas, Kal Weber, Jeff Harding, Annemarie Lawless, Nancy Ticotin, Naoko Mori, David A. Stewart, Ravil Isyanov, Olegar Fedoro, Jennifer Badger, Christo Morse

Release: 1995-09-14

Runtime: 107

Plot: Along with his new friends, a teenager who was arrested by the US Secret Service and banned from using a computer for writing a computer virus discovers a plot by a nefarious hacker, but they must use their computer skills to find the evidence while being pursued by the Secret Service and the evil computer genius behind the virus.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Love this movie. Seen it a ridiculous number of times. There’s so much good here. The douche bad guy on his skateboard, penn Jillette, young Angelina Jolie, the Gibson, clear plastic computer cases, phreaking, Matthew Lilliard as Emmanuel Goldstein, social engineering, dial up modems, “risc architecture is going to change the world”, etc. It’s a god damn national treasure.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
1600194810926.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
This is one of those movies best appreciated for the time and era it came out in, it has aged HORRIBLY and yet still retains a certain charm. I will always love this movie, no matter how awful it seems because I saw it when it was new and when it was new...

It was something special.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
Totally watching the bluray tonight.

Love this movie. It is so stupid but amazing at the same time.

• 4Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Hey Nikon, can I stay at your place? What, again? Yeah, sure. WHUP A KAAWW!

Spandex, it's a privilege, not a right!

I wonder if you could ban someone from operating a personal computer or "touch tone phone" these days.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i never watched it. if you had to compare it to another movie, what is it like?

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Rimshot

elidib

Vyemm Raider
it's kind of like a really cheesy Fifth Element aesthetic mixed with Pointe Break - turned up to 11

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
dead serious, they had a lot of movies like this in the 90s and i figured it was just one of those silly films like Sneakers and not worth my time.

i liked both of those movies, so maybe its good.

That 5th element and point break combo is a great explanation of this movie. It just is truly a 90s film, totally 90s aesthetic, totally 90s like thoughts of what computer hackers do, there's a ridiculous explanation of how computers work (this mythical computer called a gibson that is like a huge 3d structure with security guards acting as system operators), there's references to multiple things, like legitimate computer books, matthew lilliard plays emmanuel goldstein, the character was named after the pseudonym of the editor of 2600, which was an old hacking/phreaking "zine", which is named after the frequency that AT&T used that if played into the phone would allow free phone calls (look up this whole thing it's classic shit and interesting as hell). it's just a completely fun and ridiculous movie. I wonder what it would be like watching this in 2020 instead of having the nostalgia of 1995.

• 4Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database