Hail the master race - Steam hits 7 million concurrent users

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Steam hits 7 million concurrent users for first time, up 16% from last year - GeekWire

While much of today?s video game buzz is focused on next generation machines like the Xbox One and Playstation 4, PC gaming continues to gain popularity

There were more than 7 million concurrent users on Steam this afternoon for the first time in its 11-year history

That?s up 16 percent from this time last year, when Steam reached 6 million concurrent users for the first time.

In October, Steam announced that it had 65 million active accounts, marking a 30 percent growth in the past year. That means today it had more than 10 percent of its user base online at once. The recent increase may have had something to do with Steam?s ongoing autumn sale, which runs from Nov. 27 until Dec. 3.

A growing user base is good news for Valve, especially as it prepares to bring Steam gaming into the living room.

valve7millionsteam.png
All hail the master race

attachment.php

iannis

Musty Nester
His latest was pretty funny:

So which console should I buy for the best gamer experience?
Neither. You should get a PC.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Steam is great, but I don't think the box is in the win column for PC gaming. The steambox seems like another console to me, and a linux based one at that. Porting to and from SteamOS will probably be a bigger challenge than the XBOX. Then if people use these things with their TVs and sit yards away they'll probably be playing with controllers and simplified UIs.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Steam is great, but I don't think the box is in the win column for PC gaming. The steambox seems like another console to me, and a linux based one at that. Porting to and from SteamOS will probably be a bigger challenge than the XBOX. Then if people use these things with their TVs and sit yards away they'll probably be playing with controllers and simplified UIs.
I already have a kick ass PC so not getting a steam box that said the controller looks awesome, I get to play Civ V from my couch!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Depending on how it plays out an open source linux based system running AAA games will be a HUGE win for PC gaming.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I wonder how many were actually in a game vs just having the client open.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I wonder how many were actually in a game vs just having the client open.
probably a good question.
Also, why is 11AM peak? Time zones for the chart is not clear. is that pacific, so thats 2pm Eastern?
I would expect more like 5-8pm.

Also it was 7.19million YESTERDAY at 11.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I wonder if it counts people playing Dota 2 from China/Korea.

I seriously doubt Valve does majority of their business in NA at this point, maybe for preorders, but F2P is bigger in other regions. Valve gains much more from pushing Steam onto people just so they have it installed instead of selling them games directly. Nobody else comes even close to their coverage of the market.

ramp

Silver Knight of the Realm
probably a good question.
Also, why is 11AM peak? Time zones for the chart is not clear. is that pacific, so thats 2pm Eastern?
I would expect more like 5-8pm.
Also it was 7.19million YESTERDAY at 11.
Assuming you mean 11 AM PST, that'd be 20:00 EU mainland and 2 pm est. I'd reckon the EU + bits of EST might be more in total numbers then EST+PST on it's own.