Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Hollywood Reporter says its now official that Ron Howard is taking over.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Not an inspiring choice imo. Yes he's made some pretty good movies over the years but it's been quite a few of those years since one of them was. And if you had asked me before all of this would I like to see a Ron Howard take on Star Wars I would have taken a pass.

Though I don't know if it makes much difference at this point really. This thing is such a mess now and it's looking like it might end up being more of a producer driven movie anyway. And it's hard to gauge how anyone would do finishing out principle, sorting through everything else that's already been shot by two directors who are of a markedly different style and piecing together anything worth watching out of it all.

This may end up being more interesting as an unfolding train wreck than it ever is as simply a Star Wars movie.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Some of this was shot near where I live. Some people I know managed to get on set as extras

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not an inspiring choice imo. Yes he's made some pretty good movies over the years but it's been quite a few of those years since one of them was. And if you had asked me before all of this would I like to see a Ron Howard take on Star Wars I would have taken a pass.

Though I don't know if it makes much difference at this point really. This thing is such a mess now and it's looking like it might end up being more of a producer driven movie anyway. And it's hard to gauge how anyone would do finishing out principle, sorting through everything else that's already been shot by two directors who are of a markedly different style and piecing together anything worth watching out of it all.

This may end up being more interesting as an unfolding train wreck than it ever is as simply a Star Wars movie.

It needed to be Joss Whedon from Serenity to get that Star Wars feel and edge.

That was the only play to save this movie. If you are doing extensive reshoots, and want a vision that works with the producer, you go Joss Whedon.

going vanilla was a bad call. I've lost serious interest at this point and just in it for the trainwreck factor as you said.

spronk

FPS noob
wow this is going to be even worse than I had assumed.

EE6zf1Q.gif

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
It's a story about a young Han Solo.

It's kinda not possible for this to be good unless they pull a logan with it and make it have nothing to actually do with Star Wars at all.

Which is the only way I can see that they pull it out. They make it a young indiana jones story. IN SPACE.

They can have either a good Star Wars movie or a good Han Solo movie. I honestly don't think they can have both. Apparently two directors agree. You get a star wars movie and you drop the project? The only way that makes sense is if you think the movie is going to bury your career. Because dropping a high value/visibility project from disney seems like a good way to be temporarily ostracized. But I dunno the business. Seems like people would get upset about it though.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
They didn't drop the project, they were fired. Also, while I think a Han Solo movie should have SOME comedy, it should probably not be a laughing riot all the time either, since it's also going to involve Han starting out as an imperial stormtrooper and defecting to break Chewie from slavery, getting into the criminal underworld, it's not all fun and roses all the time, he's never been the comic relief in the old movies, he's just the wisecracking sarcastic rogue type of character.

iannis

Musty Nester
Well shit, that's even worse for those two guys. lol.

I read a little after I made that post. I dunno how you get a good product out of that process. Maybe Ron Howard can do it though.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Why hire indie directors and then force them to do boring generic movies. Just hire Michael bay and let me watch explosions, if you play it safe like this.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Will it feature the part when chewie goes to visit his family on Christmas?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

They can have either a good Star Wars movie or a good Han Solo movie. I honestly don't think they can have both.

Ever since they announced their intention to make these anthology movies I have wanted to see them use them to, slowly, nudge the franchise out of the fairly small box is has constructed for itself. One that some fans seem hell bent on it remaining in. It needs to become something more than it currently is if it's going to have any sustainability in the years to come, for me at least. And while I do not particularly want a Solo backstory film even I recognize the potential that has (or at least had) in working towards that ultimate goal.

So I agree with you to an extent. A good Solo movie is not going to be able to check all of the boxes on the list for a good Star Wars movie but I do think it could check enough of them that it could still be considered a good movie on both counts.

Royal

Also, while I think a Han Solo movie should have SOME comedy, it should probably not be a laughing riot all the time either, since it's also going to involve Han starting out as an imperial stormtrooper and defecting to break Chewie from slavery, getting into the criminal underworld, it's not all fun and roses all the time, he's never been the comic relief in the old movies, he's just the wisecracking sarcastic rogue type of character.

I know that part of Han's backstory (his time in the Imperial Navy, I don't think he was ever specifically a stormtrooper but rather a pilot) has been around a long time but it was flushed when all of the EU stuff was relegated to Legends status. George Lucas very nearly scrapped it himself during the prequels when they storyboarded some scenes for RoTS showing a young Han on Kasyyyk with Chewie when Yoda was there but he never shot them.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
was he an imperial? i thought he was initially part of the corrilian (spelling) navy/academy since his pants with the yellow pin stripe was part of that uniform... shrug. as long as the movie is good, i r eally don't care.

Royal

was he an imperial? i thought he was initially part of the corrilian (spelling) navy/academy since his pants with the yellow pin stripe was part of that uniform... shrug. as long as the movie is good, i r eally don't care.

He was Corellian by birth but he studied at the Imperial academy on Carida where he graduated as a lieutenant. He served a brief stint in the Imperial Navy before being dishonorably discharged, under the old canon.

Royal

I dunno how accurate all of this is since these types of stories are always built out of the whispers of people who don't want to be named and at times are more spin that fact. Frankly some of it does come off to me as damage control and face saving. And SWNN is generally very positive in it's coverage of Lucasfilm so there is probably at least a little bias in that direction. But it's an interesting read none the less.

What Our Sources Are Saying About The Star Wars: Han Solo Shakeup.

The part that really jumps out at ya:

And this is why Ehrenreich had concerns with the production as filming progressed. He started to worry that Lord & Miller’s screwball comedy angle was starting to interfere with what the character of Han Solo is really about – even if this was a younger, more reckless take on the character than the one we met in that Cantina on Tatooine. One source described it as being oddly comparable to Jim Carrey’s performance in Ace Ventura at times.

I find that part hard to believe. But even if it was only half way there then yeah, they had a fuckin' problem. And I've yet to see anything that convincingly answers why in the hell it wasn't until there was only 3 weeks left out of nearly 6 months of principle photography before it was decided that this just couldn't continue going forward.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well shit, that's even worse for those two guys. lol.

I read a little after I made that post. I dunno how you get a good product out of that process. Maybe Ron Howard can do it though.

FIVE MONTHS into shooting! They haven't signalled they are going to let Ron Howard reshoot the entire five months of production.

"Extensive reshoots" are unlikely to pan out.

So no sorry guys.