Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Well, we don't know how bad it was really, and let's try to stay optimistic :

- Most of the time and money spent on these movies is the CGI, and that's not likely to be spent on screwball comedic scenes, it's going to be spent on the big action sequences, which aren't an issue in a Han Solo movie so that'd probably be kept if it was shot that way with just the CGI to add to them.

- Comedy scenes are fine, but too much comedy is going to be a tone issue, so you can cleverly edit or cut the movie according to what you want the final tone to be, I've seen many videos online of random people recutting or editing trailers or even movies to completely change the tone (comedies turned into thrillers or horror, and vice versa) so if the only issue was really the overly comedic tone, they can simply edit it well, and reshoot some talking scenes that don't require heavy CGI and it could be fine.

I'd still be more hopeful if they announced it's being pushed back to fix it though.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I dunno how accurate all of this is since these types of stories are always built out of the whispers of people who don't want to be named and at times are more spin that fact. Frankly some of it does come off to me as damage control and face saving. And SWNN is generally very positive in it's coverage of Lucasfilm so there is probably at least a little bias in that direction. But it's an interesting read none the less.

What Our Sources Are Saying About The Star Wars: Han Solo Shakeup.

The part that really jumps out at ya:

And this is why Ehrenreich had concerns with the production as filming progressed. He started to worry that Lord & Miller’s screwball comedy angle was starting to interfere with what the character of Han Solo is really about – even if this was a younger, more reckless take on the character than the one we met in that Cantina on Tatooine. One source described it as being oddly comparable to Jim Carrey’s performance in Ace Ventura at times.

I find that part hard to believe. But even if it was only half way there then yeah, they had a fuckin' problem. And I've yet to see anything that convincingly answers why in the hell it wasn't until there was only 3 weeks left out of nearly 6 months of principle photography before it was decided that this just couldn't continue going forward.
Lol ace Ventura? That sounds amazing

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
I dunno how accurate all of this is since these types of stories are always built out of the whispers of people who don't want to be named and at times are more spin that fact. Frankly some of it does come off to me as damage control and face saving. And SWNN is generally very positive in it's coverage of Lucasfilm so there is probably at least a little bias in that direction. But it's an interesting read none the less.

What Our Sources Are Saying About The Star Wars: Han Solo Shakeup.

The part that really jumps out at ya:

And this is why Ehrenreich had concerns with the production as filming progressed. He started to worry that Lord & Miller’s screwball comedy angle was starting to interfere with what the character of Han Solo is really about – even if this was a younger, more reckless take on the character than the one we met in that Cantina on Tatooine. One source described it as being oddly comparable to Jim Carrey’s performance in Ace Ventura at times.

I find that part hard to believe. But even if it was only half way there then yeah, they had a fuckin' problem. And I've yet to see anything that convincingly answers why in the hell it wasn't until there was only 3 weeks left out of nearly 6 months of principle photography before it was decided that this just couldn't continue going forward.

I want that version of the movie, important question is: Ace Ventura 1 or 2? I'd kill to see Han Solo and Landon in this scene...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Disney is planning on making some crazy gains off of Star Wars and I would say with Star Wars Land in the near future, they are making absolutely sure that nothing too far out of the ordinary takes place. My only concern is that Disney will consistently play it safe which means most movies will be in that C+ to B grade range. That's not bad but I don't see them rocking the boat too much. I would say Han Solo was coming off like a joke more so than the "I love you... I know.", Han Solo. It's probably good they stepped in but we'll never know how odd it truly was before the move. I'm more worried about the saga films so they can make Han Ventura if they want.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
That's the thing though. If they cack things up with the anthology movies then they're likely to retreat even further into familiar (ie. formulaic) territory with the sagas. That was pretty much Trevorrow's entire game in Jurassic World so I wasn't expecting anything beyond the predictable from him in IX even before the Solo debacle.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Agree. I think it could've been (in theory) a good way to mix things between Anthology movies and "main story movies", keeping the latter conservative and close to the formula, delivering fans their bi-annual dose of X-Wings and lightsabers, while being slightly more experimental (by Disney standards) in the Anthology stuff.

Royal

Some fan spotted Lawrence Kasdan arriving in Heathrow Airport, presumably to start making preparations to resume active production on the movie. You can tell what kind of week that man has had.

Kasdan-Heathrow.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
'Star Wars' Firing Reveals a Disturbance in the Franchise
Matters were coming to a head in May as the production moved from London to the Canary Islands. Lucasfilm replaced editor Chris Dickens (Macbeth) with Oscar-winner Pietro Scalia, a veteran of Ridley Scott films including Alien: Covenant and The Martian. And, not entirely satisfied with the performance that the directors were eliciting from Rules Don't Apply star Alden Ehrenreich, Lucasfilm decided to bring in an acting coach. (Hiring a coach is not unusual; hiring one that late in production is.) Lord and Miller suggested writer-director Maggie Kiley, who worked with them on 21 Jump Street.

I'm no movie expert but I don't think having your lead need an acting coach a few weeks into filming is a good sign

xjkjV41.gif

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
'Star Wars' Firing Reveals a Disturbance in the Franchise
Matters were coming to a head in May as the production moved from London to the Canary Islands. Lucasfilm replaced editor Chris Dickens (Macbeth) with Oscar-winner Pietro Scalia, a veteran of Ridley Scott films including Alien: Covenant and The Martian. And, not entirely satisfied with the performance that the directors were eliciting from Rules Don't Apply star Alden Ehrenreich, Lucasfilm decided to bring in an acting coach. (Hiring a coach is not unusual; hiring one that late in production is.) Lord and Miller suggested writer-director Maggie Kiley, who worked with them on 21 Jump Street.

I'm no movie expert but I don't think having your lead need an acting coach a few weeks into filming is a good sign

xjkjV41.gif

VERY relevant. Lord and Miller were not allowed to get the actor they wanted, Kennedy shot them down and after 1,000 casting calls she selected the VERY FIRST actor she had audition. Numero Uno.

Kennedy called for Alden Ehrenreich specifically as a favor to Francis Ford Coppola.

There are far more complexities than just Lord and Miller trying to make 21 Jump Street Han Solo.

Kennedy casted someone who is likely unqualified for the role. There is your acting coach. There is your bungled production.

How is that Lord and Miller's fault?

You aren't crazy yet, but we're getting there. Kennedy's mistakes in creative are piling up fast. kegkilla kegkilla is not wrong in his sentiment.

Last edited:

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Kennedy is an agenda pushing hack that will ruin the franchise for all time, probably. Watching Mark Hamill make her eat a shit sandwich on stage at a Q&A was one of the most glorious parts of the pressers leading up to Ep7, because he is one of the few people she cannot get away with firing. I am actually hoping one of these movies bombs so that Disney tosses her and all of her agenda pushing toadies out on their asses. The Mouse only cares about the agenda as long as it makes them money. And I mean fuck you money. They shelved a successful Tron franchise restart to keep the focus on Marvel and SW IPs for fuck sakes. All it will take is for one of these movies to disappoint and she will be back to her previous PR hack career, assuming Pixar doesn't CGI some of Uncle Walt's old Hugo Boss wear onto pictures of her and release them to the press.

Unfortunately, you could take a shit in a box and still sell a thousand copies of anything with a picture of a Wookie on the outside of it, so I don't see that happening any time soon, especially if Jar Jar and Manakin Skywalker could not sink the franchise.

PS- Just read the fucking article. She wants extra shots and angles of everything so that she can make editorial changes after the director (this was an issue with R1, too), so basically she wants to have the final say on all of the editing and gets pissed if not given that option. Classic middle management control freak.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Kennedy is an agenda pushing hack that will ruin the franchise for all time, probably. Watching Mark Hamill make her eat a shit sandwich on stage at a Q&A was one of the most glorious parts of the pressers leading up to Ep7, because he is one of the few people she cannot get away with firing. I am actually hoping one of these movies bombs so that Disney tosses her and all of her agenda pushing toadies out on their asses. The Mouse only cares about the agenda as long as it makes them money. And I mean fuck you money. They shelved a successful Tron franchise restart to keep the focus on Marvel and SW IPs for fuck sakes. All it will take is for one of these movies to disappoint and she will be back to her previous PR hack career, assuming Pixar doesn't CGI some of Uncle Walt's old Hugo Boss wear onto pictures of her and release them to the press.

Unfortunately, you could take a shit in a box and still sell a thousand copies of anything with a picture of a Wookie on the outside of it, so I don't see that happening any time soon, especially if Jar Jar and Manakin Skywalker could not sink the franchise.

PS- Just read the fucking article. She wants extra shots and angles of everything so that she can make editorial changes after the director (this was an issue with R1, too), so basically she wants to have the final say on all of the editing and gets pissed if not given that option. Classic middle management control freak.

Good post, but she was mentored by George.

George had final say on editing, so its not a surprise that his "topgun" and protege at Lucas Film wants final say on editing, since to be the boss at Lucas Film meant to have final say on editing. Its a decades long tradition not to upended, especially now that she is hawking the agenda.

The casting bomb I dropped is pretty much a nuff said. Inside favors for Coppola? Hiring the least qualified actor and then having the directors struggle to get any performance out of him? Tossing the directors out after they failed to make a star out of your shithead you selected after wasting the time of 1,000 other gentlemen during a FALSIFIED and FRAUDULENT casting call?

Downright embarrassing.

Why didn't she recast the actor? Oh because Coppola would be very disappointed. We can't have that. it doesn't fit the nepotism agenda. This bitch is rank with agenda-- not just exclusive to Star Wars.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The hilarious part is Coppola fucked his own legacy in the ass by casting his daughter in Godfather 3 (she was so bad it was positively jarring).

Also funny, the best Star Wars movies to date have been all the ones not directed by Lucas (Empire, R1, TFA imo) or in some cases even written by him. So the further away Lucas and his cronies are from something, the better the movie is. I mean Abrams was one and done and that guy rarely walks from big budget work (especially one guaranteed to succeed). But one movie with Kennedy dragging his balls the entire time and he dropped out of all future involvement with the franchise. Everything Lucas personally oversaw after the first movie got progressively worse and it looks like his protégé is all set to take up that mantle. Fuck that cunt. I am glad Hamill shit on her in that Q&A and that Ford made things hard for her the whole time, too. The whole point of throwing Lucas gobs of cash was to get his influence the fuck out of the IP and the Mouse goes ahead and hires that glorified PR dick polisher?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Keg, if you are going to troll, you need to at least be believable. Claiming to like the prequels breaks the suspension of disbelief.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Here is your pissed away production costs and acting coach money

Really going to tell me you couldn't train this amateur in dramatic acting with the money they just blew on Lord & Miller, reshoots, redirect, coaches?

Please. It might not be the best suited for a lead, but in hindsight this kid isn't such a big joke anymore considering the waste.

Kennedy said she wanted Western sarcastic-- this kid was more than capable of that. Karma's a bitch.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Good to see so many experts on making movies from reading magazine articles. OMG THEY WANTED EXTRA ANGLES.

Royal

Kennedy called for Alden Ehrenreich specifically as a favor to Francis Ford Coppola

Do you mean as a favor to Spielberg? It was Harrison Ford who got on George Lucas' radar, ultimately, by doing some carpentry work for Coppola way back when.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
There's been four New Star Wars Movies started. Out of those four:

1 director delivered his bland, repetitive movie and then apparently dropped out of the franchise.

1 director had half his movie rewritten and reshot.

1 directing pair got fired from their movie.

Only Rian Johnson seems to be sailing smoothly.

Look, I realize you don't want to burn a $4 Billion investment, but it's ironic that Star Wars is the franchise gettting managed to death and Marshall's track record is rapidly getting as bad as Lucas'.