Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't think they're changing the entire plot. Kasdan isn't going to boot one set of directors for not following his script closely enough for another that will come in and do the same and a plot change would require a rewrite which they don't have time for and I doubt Kasdan would be inclined to do. As good as he is at writing he says he hates the process of it and he's not known for knocking out scripts in record time. A greater emphasis on Jabba could very well be a way of streamlining the remaining production by condensing a couple of other players into his role.

Strongly disagree with your wording and language there. "Greater emphasis?"

Its a major addition, and very likely signals a plot change with the level of development of Jabba they are talking about.

Howard is expected to reshoot much of the film in which Hutt only enjoyed a cameo appearance.

Cameo to star. The language and implications are very clear here. Greater emphasis on a cameo is exactly what we are not talking about here.

How do you put greater emphasis on a cameo?...

As for the plot change itself, I was pulling for Joss Whedon (someone who actually gets Star Wars and has directed Star Wars-esque adventure movies) and had thrown it in the garbage on announcement of this swap, but if Howard is reshooting and rewriting much of the movie with Kasdan-- I'm down again.

Lord and Miller were obviously taken off the project because Kasdan signalled a complete change of tone and story for these so-called "reshoots". Its all a lot of gas to protect Lord and Miller and let them go with professional courtesy.

Fact is, Kennedy told them they were doing big revamps of scenes with another director. She said you can keep your name on the movie if you go along with it. Lord and Miller said no we can't do that because then its not our movie. That was the end of that.

Now we further find out that Howard will be making some drastic changes with a new additional character (Jabba). Howard is a veteran, Kasdan is a veteran-- we can guess now in light of this Jabba development that they are doing some rewrites together with mutual respect. Howard likely suggested if we are going to spend money, lets spend it right.

This could very well amount to a new movie.

Last edited:

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
"His morbidly obese and slug-like appearance ensured he was a polarising and enduring figure among Star Wars fans."
Can we fact check this? What is the average weight of a slug alien. What percentage over average is Jabba to be considered morbidly obese?

Depends which gender he is at the moment of weighing.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Strongly disagree with your wording and language there. "Greater emphasis?"

Its a major addition, and very likely signals a plot change with the level of development of Jabba they are talking about.

Cameo to star. The language and implications are very clear here. Greater emphasis on a cameo is exactly what we are not talking about here.

How do you put greater emphasis on a cameo?...

What I mean by greater emphasis is taking another character or character's roles in the movie and folding them into whatever role that Jabba was already playing while diminishing or maybe even eliminating those others. The story still hits the same plot beats just through some different characters at specific points. It's more of a change in the layout of the movie at certain points rather than a full on rewrite though some scenes may need to be written and added and others will need dialog changes or at least benefit from them since they would have some opportunities in a scene with someone like Jabba that they might not have with a more random, unknown underworld figure.

As for Lord and Miller getting to keep their name on the movie that's going to come down to how extensive the reshoots are and the Director's Guild. My understanding is if at least half of the footage used in the final product was shot by L&M then the DGA requires their name to appear under the director's credit and isn't afraid to fight any studio over holding them to that line. They can add Howard to it as well but they can't just give him full credit in that scenario unless Lord and Miller do not want their name attached to the movie.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Also, keep Whedon away from Star Wars. Kthx.

He's busy over at Warner Brothers for the foreseeable future.

But I do think he'd be a good fit depending on the type of movie in question.

• 1Like

Royal

A down in the weeds sort of jab from Chris Miller ...

That was Han's line from ANH in that little moment between all of the fireworks and the plan going sideways in the detention block.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
As for Lord and Miller getting to keep their name on the movie that's going to come down to how extensive the reshoots are and the Director's Guild. My understanding is if at least half of the footage used in the final product was shot by L&M then the DGA requires their name to appear under the director's credit and isn't afraid to fight any studio over holding them to that line. They can add Howard to it as well but they can't just give him full credit in that scenario unless Lord and Miller do not want their name attached to the movie.

I was operating under the assumption Kennedy gave them some professional courtesy and made it clear that not agreeing to reshoots with another director would result in getting thrown off the project. I could be wrong. Maybe she really wanted to drop the hammer on them when they weren't looking, who knows. I suppose if there is a vendetta by Kennedy like rumors suggest then Howard will be reshooting over "50%" of the movie and she will also try to stick them on credit.

Possible Lord and Miller are just playing eyes-wide-shut regarding the whole "blindsided by the firing" thing. I guess whether they receive credit or not will signal something more.

Royal

I suppose if there is a vendetta by Kennedy like rumors suggest then Howard will be reshooting over "50%" of the movie and she will also try to stick them on credit.

She may well go that route and in all honesty it would probably be for the best rather than trying the blend half of your typical Ron Howard movie in with half of what you'd expect (and has been reported/spun so far) from Lord and Miller into something cohesive. If they're serious about sticking to that May '18 release date though then they're going to want to have to reshoot as little as they think they can get away with.

Royal

Han-Solo-Leaked-Image-1.jpg

Han-Solo-Leaked-Image-2.jpg

spronk

FPS noob
prequel to A Star Wars Christmas Special: Life Day confirmed

now we'll finally find out why the fuck Chewie abandoned his family and ran around the galaxy with a degenerate pirate for 30 years

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This movie is shaping up to be a trainwreck.

Also, keep Whedon away from Star Wars. Kthx.

The most interesting part of a Whedon Star Wars movie is how his foot fetish would manifest itself.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I believe that the movie will be far worse than RLM ideas

Last edited:

Royal

I don't have high expectations for it myself.

At all.

This is the coolest pic yet that Ron Howard has tweeted out though. I never knew they mocked up hyperspace for the shoots.

DFG6o_WWsAAXwdY.jpg:large

• 1Like