Happy Death Day (2017)

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
2.50 star(s) Rating: 2.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Happy Death Day

Tagline: Get up. Live your day. Get killed. Again.

Genre: Horror, Mystery, Thriller

Director: Christopher B. Landon

Cast: Jessica Rothe, Israel Broussard, Ruby Modine, Rachel Matthews, Charles Aitken, Rob Mello, Phi Vu, Caleb Spillyards, Jason Bayle, Laura Clifton, Cariella Smith, Tran Tran, Blaine Kern III, Dane Rhodes, Tenea Intriago, Missy Yager, Rachel Black, Donna DuPlantier, GiGi Erneta

Release: 2017-10-12

Runtime: 96

Plot: A college student relives the day of her murder over and over again as she tries to discover her killer's identity.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>

Since I'm on a Movie Pass binge I went to see this.

Was pleasantly surprised. Not a horror movie but a Dark comedy even has a montage of being murdered.

Easy to find the killer but you don't really care as the movie is just fun.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this today (thanks moviepass), wasn't planning on it but the Toasted Crew review convinced me its not what the trailer sells it as, a gory slasher/horror flick. And its definitely NOT as tiggles said, its not even a comedy I'd say, more some sort of "you can be a better person" drama kind of movie.

Enjoyed it, it definitely has people behind it who love horror movies and groundhogs day and it nicely melds the two genres while trying to stay sharp and fun. Nothing really stand out but good performances by a fairly young cast. No nudity or even gore, it is PG-13.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
huh they are making a sequel, i liked the first one and the sequel looks fun

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
first one was a pleasant surprise, keep your expectations low and you should enjoy it. Second one should be about as good as the new Predator movie.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't know. I think it could be good. since it seems to be taking it wholly into the "What even the fuck?" territory.
It could have just been, "oh someone else has it now" or, "oh, shes reliving another day again" But nah. curse passed on to someone else, passed back to her. Time travel, ridiculous shit.

pg13 was a huge complaint about the first one. wonder if they'll have the balls to go R nowadays.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I really liked the first one. I checked it out thinking "Groundhog day horror movie" could be interesting, even if it was a PG-13 teen slasher.

Then I watched it and realized it took itself exactly 0% seriously and it was great for it.

I'm kind of excited to see what they do after cranking the knob to 11, the ripping the knob right off the god damn nonsense machine.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
1st was a gem in the horror/dark comedy genre, hoping sequel is just as good/better

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
What everyone else is saying; I enjoyed the first one much more than I expected, and I'm eager to see how fucked up this one can be.

• 1Like

Goatface

necrobump

was sorta mixed on the 2nd one, but thought it was okish.

director said they are in talks for a 3rd, working title is Happy Death Day To Us and would set on a different day. they seem to be looking for funding. 2nd one earned just under half the 1st, but still made $28m in usa, and $36m international with a $9m budget.

• 1Like

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I just watched both of these back-to-back a couple months ago. Loved the first but only mildly enjoyed the second. They leaned too far into sci-fi for the second with alternate timelines, dopplegangers, and parallel universes. None of it made any sense and it just made the movie convoluted. The first was better because it wholly focused on the repeated deaths, which is where all the fun is; doesn't matter why the timeloop happens.

I'm curious what direction they'd take a third movie. I'd like to see them going back to a more comedy-horror of the first and forget the sci-fi explanation of stuff.

• 1Like

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
I love these movies but do prefer the second. The first was a pretty standard genre mashup of slasher meets groundhog day meets college comedy but didn't do much interesting outside of mashing all that up well. The twist wasn't all that inspired.

The second was a similar blend of different genres but had more intelligence with the sci fi story, more heart with the family drama, and more dark humor with scenes like the suicide montage.

For anyone who's a fan of these, especially the second, check out +1. Similar horror, comedy, and sci fi in a college setting all wrapped up into an entertaining and somewhat philosophical package.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
I remember catching the first one in a hotel while on a work trip, surprisingly enjoyable and Great Value Blake Lively is super charming. But the second one seemed to drag a bit.

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database