Haunted Mansion (2023)

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
3.50 star(s) Rating: 3.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Haunted Mansion (2023)

Genre: Family, Comedy, Horror

Director: Justin Simien

Cast: Rosario Dawson, Chase W. Dillon, Lakeith Stanfield, Tiffany Haddish, Owen Wilson, Danny DeVito, Winona Ryder, Jared Leto, Jamie Lee Curtis, Dan Levy, Hasan Minhaj, Elisha Davis

Release: 2023-07-26

Plot: A single mom named Gabbie hires a tour guide, a psychic, a priest, and a historian to help exorcise their newly bought mansion; after discovering it is inhabited by ghosts.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Oh sweet! When is the splash mountain inspired movie coming out?

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
It's been 20 years since the Eddie Murphy movie. What.

• 3WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
It's been 20 years since the Eddie Murphy movie. What.

futurama-professor.gif

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
50-ish Critic Reviews. 85% audience. Looks kinda fun.

Also I forgot the Eddie Murphy film existed.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
weird how releasing what should clearly be an october movie in July didnt work.

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
weird how releasing what should clearly be an october movie in July didnt work.
yeah, that doesnt seem to make sense, but they release horror movies all year. one of those Insidious movies came out and toppled Indy5 in its second weekend.
small budget made 100 million at box office
M3gan came out in January with a 12m budget and grossed 180m.
huge profits and it didnt need an October release.
Haunted Mansion should have done a little better than just matching the same movie that came out 20 years earlier

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
yeah, I know, and was mostly joking, but only mostly (hell, I went and saw Talk to Me this weekend).

Most of the year round horror stuff is smaller and/or indie things. big budget tends to land in the fall, near or around halloween.

but now as I type this, I realize that if they go roughly 90 days to streaming, they could get this out in D+ for Halloween weekend, and it all makes more sense. I assume it would have done better if, like you said, Barbie and Oppenheimer weren't still dominating the box office (my local AMC was packed on Saturday when I went to see Talk to Me)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
October release also means fighting actual horror movies. Which basically means this would only get the families at best. Dunno, maybe that's all it gets anyways.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Saw this last night and found it very enjoyable. Cast was funny and had good chemistry. Way better than the Eddie Murphy version. Lots of cool callbacks to fans of the ride.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database