Hepl! What is this song!? ('60s or '70s music)

Szlia

There is a song at the end of the last Miyazaki movie. That song is a cover of a 1973 song. The thing is that I am 99% sure that the 1973 song is a japanese version of a very famous american song... except I can't identify which and it's slowly driving me nuts.

Maybe it's just a case a similar chord progression... anyway, the song I am looking for is using Hammond organ or something similar.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yep, now this is driving me nuts. I don't know why, but I get this image of a TV show opening in my head when I listen to it, like that's where I heard it, in a TV show opening.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
It was done by a veteran Japanese singer Yumi Matsutoya credited as "Arai Yumi". Since she has writer's credit, I imagine it is original.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
It was done by a veteran Japanese singer Yumi Matsutoya credited as "Arai Yumi". Since she has writer's credit, I imagine it is original.
Yes, it was written by her in 1973 to commemorate the death of her friend. It was the self titled track in Hikoukigumo (And was one of the less popular songs of the time, supposedly.) But for some reason, the chord progression sounds SUPER familiar. Again, like I used to listen to it at the close or opening of a show. Here is the instrumental version.

Specifically :35-:44 that part? I think is it, that note progression.

Szlia

Well done! That's without a doubt what I was thinking of. I owe you one!

EDIT: Fun fact, Procol Harum borrowed from Bach to make that song. Bach and 'When a Man Loves a Woman' that was one of the songs I checked in my quest earlier today!

Ira_sl

shitlord
Not a problem. I honestly did it for my own sanity since I was foolish enough to click on the link and get hooked myself. It's like when you are watching a movie and recognize an actor and can't last two minutes without googling it to get the answer.