His Dark Materials

Qhue

Trump's Staff
3.25 star(s) Rating: 3.25/5 4 Votes
Title: His Dark Materials

Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2019-12-31

Cast: Dafne Keen, Ruth Wilson, James McAvoy, Clarke Peters, Richard Cunningham, Tyler Howitt, Ian Peck, Lin-Manuel Miranda

Overview: Lyra is an orphan who lives in a parallel universe in which science, theology and magic are entwined. Lyra's search for a kidnapped friend uncovers a sinister plot involving stolen children, and turns into a quest to understand a mysterious phenomenon called Dust. She is later joined on her journey by Will, a boy who possesses a knife that can cut windows between worlds. As Lyra learns the truth about her parents and her prophesied destiny, the two young people are caught up in a war against celestial powers that ranges across many worlds.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Good first impression. Look forward to more of this.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
Was super bummed when the movies did not work out. So glad this was picked up and by HBO no less.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Looks like season 1 is the first book since they shows scenes from the finale. They better not change to it a happy ending again!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Looks like some really good production value, high budget shit. Never read the books, but I will absolutely give this a go. This with Watchmen seem like an interesting step into a post-Thrones life for HBO.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looked good. The trailer was definitely made for those who've read the books.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

faille

Molten Core Raider
Anyone check this out yet? can't decide if I should watch it weekly or binge it at the end. Or skip entirely...

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
Anyone check this out yet? can't decide if I should watch it weekly or binge it at the end. Or skip entirely...
I caught it last night. I never read the books and enjoyed this fine. I’ve read reviews saying it’s not dark enough etc but it was an easy watch for me and I’m looking forward to where it goes.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
I liked it. That opening text though - whoever thought this

1572870821077.png

was a good idea for font, color and background needs a good smack upside the head.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Not really. You know from the beginning that it takes place in a parallel universe. It's in the show's caption.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I think the word "Starts" is the spoilery part.

Anyway, I never read the books but saw the movie a few years back which was entirely forgettable. However, I thought this first episode was pretty darn good. Kept my attention at least. Production quality seems great -- CGI animals looked realistic enough. Oxford looked cool.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database