HOLIDAY Retro Game N' Play - Zelda: LTTP, FF:V & BlackThorn

Siliconemelons

Let us celebrate together this festive time and into the new year by playing some good classic games that are now... "RETRO", hello boomers!

Will add game info and other stuff later today.

Action Adventure: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Classic RPG: Final Fantasy V - the adventures of butts

and our bonus game...

Action Platform and Puzzle: BlackThorn!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Let us celebrate together this festive time and into the new year by playing some good classic games that are now... "RETRO", hello boomers!

Will add game info and other stuff later today.

Action Adventure: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Classic RPG: Final Fantasy V - the adventures of butts

and our bonus game...

Action Platform and Puzzle: BlackThorn!

I may need to restart my ff5 playthrough if I can’t rename Bartz to Bort, Bortz, or anything else other than Bartz.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Played these great games many times so may finally give a zelda romhack a go. I have heard link to the past parallel worlds is really good.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I've been slacking, been pretty busy since Thanksgiving. Anyone have a chance to sit down with these yet?

FF5 really is so great, sillier plot than FF4 and 6 but gameplay wise it's so much more in depth and replayable. I'm happy I finally got it in after nominating it, would be a shame if even after getting it voted in I still didn't turn anyone new onto it. It's great, truly! Haha.

That said, I'm sitting back down with Zelda now. Not with a randomizer, been 10 years since I played the normal version, maybe I'll go back and do a randomizer sometime later this winter tho. :)

• 1Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I've been slacking, been pretty busy since Thanksgiving. Anyone have a chance to sit down with these yet?

FF5 really is so great, sillier plot than FF4 and 6 but gameplay wise it's so much more in depth and replayable. I'm happy I finally got it in after nominating it, would be a shame if even after getting it voted in I still didn't turn anyone new onto it. It's great, truly! Haha.

That said, I'm sitting back down with Zelda now. Not with a randomizer, been 10 years since I played the normal version, maybe I'll go back and do a randomizer sometime later this winter tho. :)

I couldn’t get into ff v (this time, I’ve played it twice before), I don’t blame the game or even my just my malaise with gaming, but rather the steam version is not very good and the character models don’t look anything like their portraits. The steam version character models are actually quite abysmal and really detract from the game for me, so does playing a guy name “Bartz” because I hit he wrong button (my bad).

Been playing Lufia: and the Fortress of Doom and I’m not hating it though it does feel kind of grindy, I blame the fact that I haven’t payed it since before Lucia 2 came out and don’t remember anything about the game,

Don’t matter what you play, as long as it’s retro and you’re having a good time. That’s my take on it.

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
I get to the Dark World in ALTtP and hit a wall every time. To this day the 3rd dungeon spooks me because of the constant falling hands

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I couldn’t get into ff v (this time, I’ve played it twice before), I don’t blame the game or even my just my malaise with gaming, but rather the steam version is not very good and the character models don’t look anything like their portraits. The steam version character models are actually quite abysmal and really detract from the game for me, so does playing a guy name “Bartz” because I hit he wrong button (my bad).

Yeah, for anyone reading along, the Gameboy Advance version is really recommended, and easily available at Vimm's Lair: Preserving the Classics (along with almost every other classic ROM you could possibly want!)

• 1Truth!

maskedmelon

Orator of Superfluous Nothings
Haven’t played any of these, but willing to give them a go if I can work them into my schedule. Do any of you know if there is an emulator for these for mobile devices? I’ll check the link from pharmako.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Haven’t played any of these, but willing to give them a go if I can work them into my schedule. Do any of you know if there is an emulator for these for mobile devices? I’ll check the link from pharmako.

Pretty sure there are some right on the Google Play store. Not sure if they're free but probably cheap if not

My link will have ROMs but don't think it has emulators for mobile, just PC.

• 1Like

maskedmelon

Orator of Superfluous Nothings
Pretty sure there are some right on the Google Play store. Not sure if they're free but probably cheap if not

My link will have ROMs but don't think it has emulators for mobile, just PC.

ill check those out. Thanks!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
To make my Final Fantasy V run more interesting, I'm going to do sort of a Four Job Fiesta (Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta)... "Sort of" because instead of picking randomly, I'm going to pick four jobs that I've never done before. Still doing one for each of the four crystals, so I'm going with:

Thief
Summoner
Ranger
Dragoon

Should be a pretty tough run actually :) literally everything is possible with a bit of ingenuity tho, even 4x Berserker or 4x White Mage.

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

Okay I am going to talk about each game - I will start with FF:V

First, I have only actually attempted to "beat" this game twice...okay, I have attempted many times - only twice have I actually GOTTEN anywhere.

First was back in the rom hack days were there was no translation official, I did not get far.... but I watched the anime...

BONUS FF:V FACT!!!!!!!!!

Final Fantasy V was the only Final Fantasy game for the series history (for a long time) to have an actual sequel via. an anime that takes place 200 years after the events of FF5 with the decedents of BUTTZ - it was everything an anime should be, insane, convoluted and contrived, just like FF5!

and... it actually came out before the official FF5 American release

... anywho... the hacked rom didn't last long because it was annoying and the FF collection was to be released on PSX! and it had FFv for the first time in MERICUA

So I got that... attempt 2!

Loading time sucked buttz and I did not care for the game... I got stuck somewhere after you just got the dragoon and were fighting things in the air? airships or some-such other nonsense...

Okay...

So 3rd?ish 2nd continued was years later when I dusted off my ye ol PSX and I got to the stupid tree when everything was on fire...but I sucked because I cheesed through the above mentioned dragoon thing....

So now, I actually bought the thing on STEAM for like 5$ a few years ago...and I havent even gotten to the 3rd? crystal on this replay... buttz it did seem a lot "easier" on this version? and that it flowed better? I do not think steam "cloud saves" your games...so I have little umpha to restart.

Again I look at "themes" that Final Fantasy games hold - they are all very basic in nature and replicate over...what I will call the "classic" era FFI-X.

FF 1, 3 and 5 all hold very similar themes and where "things" that Square was trying to do... usually in this theory I skip 1 as it is just as it is and classic .. but it really does have the same ideas being played at.

You each get a choice of classes - this is done in 1 at the start and static after, while "jobs" changed this a lot - FF1 did try, you had a selection beyond pre-set or what your "party" can handle... then because you have variation in classes in all of them, the game is tuned to be more flexable and allows things to be done not in a specific way- FF1,3 and 5 all have "X playthru" and "Y playthru" etc. All warriors, all white mages, the above mentioned 1 job each crystal...

They each are based around crystals and the worldly balance and threat based around nature and the disruption/abuse etc. of that elements - this is the primary motivator for you/protagonists and the antagonist.

FF2,4 and 6 are all similar. All your characters are set in their "type" and character / jobs / skills - while 6 allows via espers everyone to be a demigod, each character is still at core "X, Y or Z" - "class". The battle systems, character interactions, dynamics and story elements are all based around these set classes "I am a dark knight, how can I be with a white mage..."

The overall theme of each is a totalitarian empire is out to rule the world by force and subjugation - each one has at least one character that is part of / was part of / joins etc. the empire and then returns or has an act of "coming back to the light" and helps our company of heroes.

2,4 and 6 each follow the hero's journey VERY well, and imo each hold some of the most classic, best told and memorable characters and story because of this - while their counters, 1,3,5 do not and have very convoluted contrived and "anime" plots and stories.

FF8 (barf), 9 and 10 are all love stories - 8 is an complete shitshow - 9 attempted to draw on "classical FF elements" while telling its modern story and actually managed to do a lot right, and honestly only a few small things wrong- yet those small things REALLY bugged some people... and FFX actually pulled off the love story damn well, it holds tons of emotional weight and even the "start game" screen is just a huge emotional hit from the start...and then when you GET to that location/event in game, damn... the "deep plot" of X is actually useless, but its there and its stupid and its overbearingly odd and gets cast aside for its following installments... the character plot is great, and I get that we needed something to move the characters along... but really the "BIG THING HAPPENING" could have been any of the prior FF game plots- the characters and the love story and emotion in X is what makes it a game worth playing.

"Dude Xad, you skipped 7"

Ahh FF7...

FF7 actually combines the two overarching story elements of 1,3,5 and 2,4 and 6 - AND actually holds on to the hero's journey enough that you have a decent thread of coherancy...yet the frills of that thread can easily lead you into a tangled mess of "anime-ness"

While it does not have jobs, it has plenty of characters to swap around in your 3 person party (boooo! I liked 4 and 6 tons of people party!) - the materia system is much akin to espers.

While 7 does... what many consider a "masterful" job in getting the two overall story elements of past FF games together, it adds in another that jumped sqeenixes shark, Love story.... and that makes them ride that fonzi shark down to the depths of 8....

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Streaming myself playing Zelda.

Pretty new to streaming, hope I'm not too boring :p

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users